Great Location

Find out about the BikeRadar Live cycling festival - Brands Hatch July 10-11, 2010
Steven Turnbull

Postby Steven Turnbull » Mon Jul 12, 2010 15:07 pm

Andy

Please don't take it personally, it was just an observation.

My point is that it did move to a different location in a different part of the country and it might move again next year.

Last year, Donnington was a convenient location for people in the Midlands and from the North. This year, Brands Hatch was a convenient location for people in the South, South West and South East. So, so far I think that's pretty fair.

Didn't hear too many Scottish voices this weekend as it happens...

And if it was staged in Scotland you wouldn't hear too many Kent or Midland accents!

Basically, no matter where the event is staged it will always be inconvenient for some and convenient for others.

MC1

Postby MC1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 15:15 pm

Basically, no matter where the event is staged it will always be inconvenient for some and convenient for others.

Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 15:18 pm

So best to move it around so everyone gets a fair shot yes?

John Stevenson

Postby John Stevenson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 15:44 pm

We're not trying to be fair, we're trying to put on a truly great event.

Every time we move venue we hit a new set of teething troubles. New caterers, new roads, new police jurisdiction, new security personnel, new toilet and shower suppliers, new 1001 tiny details that surprise you at the last minute.

If we stay in one place we will be able to improve next year the things that weren't perfect this year and make BikeRadar Live bigger and better. If we move, we're back to square one every time.
John Stevenson

Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 15:49 pm

Oh dear. You've got a lot of improvements to make then.

Steven Turnbull

Postby Steven Turnbull » Mon Jul 12, 2010 19:01 pm

Andy wrote:Oh dear. You've got a lot of improvements to make then.
Compared to what other major UK cycling events held annually over a weekend?

Should we not all just be grateful that no matter what the location, BikeRadar Live exists and will continue to do so?

It wasn't the fault of the BikeRadar/Future Publishing team that they had to move from Donnington this year. In fact, it was a total inconvenience for them that the Donnington management ran into unexpected and unpredictable financial difficulties. Think about it, Future Publishing is a business and as such need to make a profit. Also, I am lead to believe they made a loss from last years BikeRadar Live which, coupled with all the hassle they faced with re staging it at a different venue this year, it would have been a damn sight easier for them not to go ahead with it again. But no, they got on with it under difficult circumstances and managed to stage what was (in my opinion) a great and unique event covering all major cycling disciplines.

So, guys, please, lets stop bickering and be grateful for having to pay only £25 and the cost of fuel for a truly great cycling weekend.

Paul1878

location etc

Postby Paul1878 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 20:19 pm

Im new to cycling and have been riding (mainly commuting) for about 2 years. In Feb i bought myself a 2k bike with the sole purpose of going bike radar and doing the sportive. I live west london and left work at about 6.30 on Friday evening. Got to my girlfriends house in Gillingham for 8.45pm which is relatively the same time as it takes me most friday evenings.

Got up at 5 am sat and drove to BH no problem, parking was excellent (id been expecting a carboot type scenario) I kitted up and headed down to register, all went smooth. Took my place on the grid and set off on my first sportive.

Completed the 70 in just under 5 and was delighted. The course nearly killed me but being like lots of london cyclist (Giro de Richmond) i did realise i had overestimated my technical and physical ability at this early stage in my sportive career but did not mind one bit as Kent is a wonderful county to cycle in, its like going back in time!

Post race was great, drink, food and swift time posting.

I left early afternoon with aches and pains but a few cold beers and a swim the next day sorted me out. Today I was back on the bike riding to work very very happy.

I loved the event, maybe i inexperienced but my point is that as a novice on my own it was a perfect introduction, the perfect location with just the right balance of serious / fun to make it accessible to all.

I am bringing my fellow London Tour de Commute cyclists with me next year, where ever it may be...it doesn't matter, is that not all part of the fun? its a great event! Well done the organisors!

Steven Turnbull

Postby Steven Turnbull » Wed Jul 14, 2010 09:54 am

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Lincoln to watch the Lincoln GP.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to London to ride on the London Eye.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Wales to ride bikes at Afan.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Scotland to visit Fort William.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Italy to watch the Giro.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Donnington to watch the Moto GP.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Silverstone to watch F1.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Birmingham to see exhibitions at the NEC.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to the Isle of Purbeck to ride the Purbecks.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Glastonbury to go to the Glastonbury Festival.

I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Goodwood to watch the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

It's just not fair :cry:

glauciaregina9

Postby glauciaregina9 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 am

If you look at pretty much any major annual event, they are almost always held at the same location year after year.

There are reasons for this as have been mentioned in some of the previous posts.

You're never going to find somewhere that suits everybody, and you can't realistically move such a large event to a different location each year without compromising the event.

If, like me, you were unable to make it down to Brands, then basically it's just tough luck.

+1 to Steve Turnbull's 'I think it's really unfair...' post :)
Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead

Gazlar

Postby Gazlar » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:44 am

I'd agree, brands hatch is not convenient for me, but hell for 20 quid for a weekend it becomes very convenient for me.

When I go to Turkey on Holiday, thats not convenient but I still do it

Great event, a few niggles which have been mentioned by some, and exaggerated by others, but thats what happens at these things

What I will echo is the ease of finding it, parking, getting on and off site, just fantastic.

I dunno if it would be worth it but what about a coach service from say swanley station? would that help get people in who didnt want to tackle the m25?
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Specialized Needs

Postby Specialized Needs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:34 am

gazderry wrote:I dunno if it would be worth it but what about a coach service from say swanley station? would that help get people in who didnt want to tackle the m25?
And get one of the trailer companies to do the ferrying - demoing their trailers at the same time! Just need to look for marketing tie-ins and opportunities, I think.

RevellRider

Postby RevellRider » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:48 am

Steven Turnbull wrote:I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Donnington to watch the Moto GP.

That is so unfair, seeing as it's at Silverstone :P

nonnac85

Postby nonnac85 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:59 am

I think people should stop moaning and be glad we have an event at all. If you don't like BRL then why not try setting up another festival on a "better" location
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Steven Turnbull

Postby Steven Turnbull » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

RevellRider wrote:
Steven Turnbull wrote:I think it's really unfair that people have to travel to Donnington to watch the Moto GP.

That is so unfair, seeing as it's at Silverstone :P

I stand corrected :oops:

Hold on a minute - Silverstone? Well why the hell did they move it from Donnington when it was such a convenient venue for some people.

That is just so unfair :x

Monkeypump

Re: location etc

Postby Monkeypump » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Paul1878 wrote:In Feb i bought myself a 2k bike with the sole purpose of going bike radar and doing the sportive.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Kim10

Postby Kim10 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57 pm

For what it's worth, we travelled down on Friday afternoon from the East (Suffolk), did not hit any traffic, had a great weekend and travelled home again Sunday afternoon without any problems.

All in all a great weekend, thought the route for the sportive was very well planned and signed posted and did not experience the same problems at the feed stops as many others (just luck I guess).
Location wise I think Brands Hatch is good for the event and I do agree, it's great of the organisers to put on this weekend every year, nothing else out there of the same really.

We will be back next year no matter where it is, but I can see on the web site that date and location has been confirmed, so see you all (or maybe not some!!!) next year. :D

pauldowker

Postby pauldowker » Tue Jul 20, 2010 16:05 pm

it was so much better than last year. I drove from Lincoln on friday afternoon, left at 2pm and got to brands at 6pm, ok it's 4 hours, but it was worth it, good to see mates, grab some beers and have a bbq.

I got to ride some amazing bikes, got some great advice on bike set up and had a brilliant weekend. Overall a much better weekend than last year, and i come from Loughborough which is 10 miles from Donington.

I hope it's at Brands next year, the demo route was better, but more showers please..

Andy

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 13:37 pm

pauldowker wrote:I hope it's at Brands next year, the demo route was better, but more showers please..

It is unfortunately.

MC1

Postby MC1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 14:13 pm

Andy wrote:
pauldowker wrote:I hope it's at Brands next year, the demo route was better, but more showers please..

It is unfortunately.

It's not

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12735302

Andy

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 14:30 pm

Just seen that.

Is that because of the higher cost of down south? :wink:

Return to “BikeRadar Live 2010”