Last Years Bikeradar live was better?

Find out about the BikeRadar Live cycling festival - Brands Hatch July 10-11, 2010

Was last years Bikeradar Live better?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 19, 2010 00:40 am

Yes!
46%
NO!
54%

Total votes: 13

Redlinethin

Postby Redlinethin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 00:40 am

Em, IMO... yes it was. few points.
I'm not moaning about it as I live in London but last year location was better as it was more central. It wasn't so spread out too. You could walk about where as this years I had to use my bike to get from tent to slalom or dj qualys in time. Last years Live had a lot more bikes to demo too. Shame on Giant, Specialized and Trek for not turning up. Scott boys told me that the reason for that was that they wanted to be the only 3 biggest brands at the event. I was looking forward so long for this event. Just to be massively disappointed, why? I'm after 7"play bike and was hoping to demo few and was relaying on this event as all the other demo days this year there were no 7" bikes to test or the demo loops were just pathetic (XC national series in wales 2 months ago). But lack of bikes is a personal disappointment for me as for the rest of the guys who turned up this year might agree with me on the lack of toilets and WORKING showers compare to last years Live.
Pump track was poor, berms were so tight u couldn't use anything bigger than bmx to enjoy them.
Black ran was good but should've been called Red.

and whats with NOT wearing helmets!!!! (I'm not talking about inside the expo section or paddocks)

I'd like to address personal THANKS to a group of pot-bellied, tattooed, loud mouth group of middle ages idiots who were camping near Fish and Chips trailer. This sort shouldn't be allowed near events like this. I mean some people have sportive in the morning and need their SLEEP.

gpsBRM

Postby gpsBRM » Mon Jul 12, 2010 08:36 am

Last years was way better!

Had high hopes after last year, which I declared to my mates as one of the best bike events I'd been to. Plus Brands Hatch is only a 15min drive away for me. However it didn't turn out that way.

Camping was awful, couldn't even take your car to your tent to unload, plus the catering wagon very bad. After the selection of food last year, we thought we'd eat at them for Fri dinner and breakfasts. Burgers for breakfast as they'd run out of bacon, great, plus they shut up @ 9pm on Friday. Also it seemed to be full of teenagers getting drunk or groups of blokes getting wrecked and thinking thats every other word needs to be a profanity. Maybe we camped in an unlucky spot. Last year they had a seperate cmaping area for racers.

Way less manufacturers and no tandems this year. We were serious about maybe buying a tandem after riding one last year, no chnace this year, so no sale there. Only big manufacture was Scott. When we went to the Big Welsh Weekend in Port Talbot it was a much smaller event but there were way more Mountain Bikes to Demo. Also no manufactures had many Womens specific bikes. Oh bike setups by some manufactures were very very poor. Friend tried a Willier out and as soon as she got on it by the track the bars turned and the wheel didn't. Some moron of a mechanic hadn't even tighted it up and made sure the bike was safe before giving it out to an member of the public. At the same time both my girlfirend and I visited the Raliegh stand to try out some road bikes. Neither had their Bars/Stem bolts done up correctly. Took them back to Raliegh and the boss looking man couldn't appologise more, one of the bolts on my stem wan't even remotely tight. I must mention that the Cooper stand was excellent though, very friendly stand and their Reims bike I rode was great.

Trying to get on the track to demo the bikes was a mission to. BHF chugger tried to make me pay £20 to the BHF to ride round, I explained I was demoing a bike but he insisted we had to sign up for the BHF laps. They then got their "manager" after I told them where to go and he explained to his "staff" that if you were demoing a bike you didn't need to pay. Wonder how many people actually paid? Last year you just got a bike and rocked up on track for a few laps, easy.

Good point was the Dirt Crits, although my tyre blew out on lap 3. Although I did think the Enduro last year was better. Paul Heaton playing Big Top on Fri night was good, plus that band on Sat night was good. Beer at the bar by the big top, £3.70 a pint, although walk down to the Kentagon restaurant and get a pint for £3

The Bishop

Postby The Bishop » Mon Jul 12, 2010 08:42 am

I wasn't there last year butIwas disapointed that it was so difficult to test ride road bikes (i'm really a MTB fan!). Each time I got a road bike the track was closed so I couldn't really ride the test bike!

And Saturday afternoon the demo loops were just packed with families so as soon as you got going you were stacking into the back of slow traffic. - guess there's not much to be done about that as it's for everyone but from a riding point of view it was disappointed.

Good work with the weather though :D

Redlinethin

Postby Redlinethin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 08:55 am

gpsBRM wrote:Last years was way better!

Had high hopes after last year, which I declared to my mates as one of the best bike events I'd been to. Plus Brands Hatch is only a 15min drive away for me. However it didn't turn out that way.

Camping was awful, couldn't even take your car to your tent to unload, plus the catering wagon very bad. After the selection of food last year, we thought we'd eat at them for Fri dinner and breakfasts. Burgers for breakfast as they'd run out of bacon, great, plus they shut up @ 9pm on Friday. Also it seemed to be full of teenagers getting drunk or groups of blokes getting wrecked and thinking thats every other word needs to be a profanity. Maybe we camped in an unlucky spot. Last year they had a seperate cmaping area for racers.

I was quite embarassed after banging on about last years Live to my friends and saying this year was promised to be even better.

I think we camped not far from each other, as the profanitys were words of the day all week end.

Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:53 am

gpsBRM wrote:Camping was awful, couldn't even take your car to your tent to unload

For some reason family camping were allowed to but not everyone else. Disappointed by this.

Also it seemed to be full of teenagers getting drunk or groups of blokes getting wrecked and thinking thats every other word needs to be a profanity. Maybe we camped in an unlucky spot. Last year they had a seperate cmaping area for racers.

I got abuse walking into the camp site on Friday evening off a group of guys in there 30s-40s. Nice welcome to the event!

Beer at the bar by the big top, £3.70 a pint, although walk down to the Kentagon restaurant and get a pint for £3

The prices were over the top. I dont know if it was being near London or just people taking advantage over a semi captive audience. £2 for a bottle of soft drink? I really feel for any families with prices like that.

John Stevenson

Postby John Stevenson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for your feedback folks.

There were loads of things we worked hard to improve over last year's BikeRadar Live, but we were at a new venue so of course we had a new set of problems, and we'll take what you say on board on board for 2011.

Most people we spoke to had a great time, and we already have plans to improve many of the points you've raised for next year.
John Stevenson

Redlinethin

Postby Redlinethin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks John,

Most did have good time, including me. Just not as much as last year, that's all.
I've seen a post about lack of sign to show any First Aid posts too. Add that to a lot of kids not wearing helmets on the Black ran and you could've had very big problems this week end.

Can you comment any thing on why Giant, Trek and Specialized didn't make it?

And is there a chance we might see them next year?

Kindly appreciate your consents

Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:47 pm

John Stevenson wrote:we were at a new venue so of course we had a new set of problems

Are you planning to hold it same place next year?

John Stevenson

Postby John Stevenson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 13:08 pm

Andy - yes.

Brands Hatch has a number of advantages, not least far more hard standing than Donington (if had rained last year we'd have been in trouble), better countryside for the sportive, decent built-in catering and showers (sorry to the people who didn't find them but the showers up the hill from the expo area were the way to go) and lots more. And before anyone asks - no, it's not cheaper. Quite the opposite.

Redlinethin - I wasn't involved in discussions with Giant, Trek and Specialized so I can't comment on their final reasons for not attending. Of course we'd love to have them there, and we'll work hard for 2011 to find a way that works for them to be involved. But ultimately, we can't force people to spend a chunk of their marketing budget on BikeRadar Live, we can only try and persuade.
John Stevenson

Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 13:19 pm

Oh dear

John Stevenson

Postby John Stevenson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 13:28 pm

Oh, and the helmets thing. I spent a bit of time on the mic and got fed up of listening to myself telling people to put on helmets. We tried to make it very clear that they were mandatory, but there's only so much our staff can do to police hundreds of mischievous grommets.

Medical support was lurking in numerous strategic places and had anyone hurt themselves all they had to do was find a marshal and they'd radio for a medic. Mobile medical support of that type is faster than having fixed first aid points, as it doesn't rely on an injured person getting to help - help comes very quickly to them.
John Stevenson

Specialized Needs

Postby Specialized Needs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 14:30 pm

Andy wrote:
gpsBRM wrote:Beer at the bar by the big top, £3.70 a pint, although walk down to the Kentagon restaurant and get a pint for £3

The prices were over the top. I dont know if it was being near London or just people taking advantage over a semi captive audience. £2 for a bottle of soft drink? I really feel for any families with prices like that.
Sadly £3 per pint is not too ar off for the area (obviously someone will be able to find cheaper, but it isn't a huge mark up), £3.75 is a bit steep. What kind of bottle of soft drink are you talking about?

The food prices were more of a 'captive audience' thing, actually. But no more than for any other event at Brands (not that that is a good thing).

There was a reasonably stocked Co-op about 10 mins walk from the entrance, in West Kingsdown. I don't know how well advertised that was. Open to 11pm every night. Also a Chinese/chippy next door that isn't too bad, and Indian restaurants that both do takeaways at the top and botom of the hill. Not sure whether the Oasis or Hollyville cafes were open over the weekend (Hollyville is open every day normally)? Just 5 mins walk from Brands Hatch's main gate for the authentic greasy spoon experience!

Specialized Needs

Postby Specialized Needs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 14:55 pm

John Stevenson wrote:Andy - yes.

Brands Hatch has a number of advantages, not least far more hard standing than Donington (if had rained last year we'd have been in trouble), better countryside for the sportive, decent built-in catering and showers (sorry to the people who didn't find them but the showers up the hill from the expo area were the way to go) and lots more. And before anyone asks - no, it's not cheaper. Quite the opposite.

Redlinethin - I wasn't involved in discussions with Giant, Trek and Specialized so I can't comment on their final reasons for not attending. Of course we'd love to have them there, and we'll work hard for 2011 to find a way that works for them to be involved. But ultimately, we can't force people to spend a chunk of their marketing budget on BikeRadar Live, we can only try and persuade.
As a local, I would urge you strongly to try to get more information out locally. Promote it locally to encourage local people (as far afield as Tonbridge, Maidstone, Orpington, Bexley, Dartford) to attend on day tickets. I only ever saw adverts in C+, never locally, either in the press or in the village parish leaflet (where Brands have an A4 page every issue). Surely we want to encourage all abilities and backgrounds to come and there are plenty who cycle locally - encourage a love of cycling in all its forms.

Let the local shops know and they will open for the event and stock up (bakers, post office, take aways, Co-op) if they know there is an audience for their wares that is tld about their existance. There also used also to be a thriving ad hoc B&B industry for when there are big events. Also, try to rope West Kent CTC in to do some led rides for those road cyclists who would rather a 20 - 40 mile pootle with associated beer stops. Some other local groups would I'm sure be interested (e.g. Seeds Cycling Club in Dartford are running some local introductory Sky rides- I'm sure they would be happy to do others suitable for families and the less sportive inclined!). For those who found Exedown a breeze perhaps a touch of Vigo Hill, perhaps others would like to do a tour that included such memorable climbs to the SW of Brands such as Star Hill, Row Dow, Yorks Hill.

If this is coming back to Brands, then I am sure there is lots that could be done to make things run smoother, more interestingly and keep people more occupied whilst on site. Whatever its position in the country, Brands is a spectacular natural amphitheatre with a(n indy) track that is visible from most places and interesting contours for MTBs. Just need to get the right things in there, or use the facilities to their best (I loved the dirt jumping/slalom/trails areas - thought they worked well). Might it be worth using the GP loop for test rides?

Kudos to the exhibiters who attended - what about finding out why others didn't and seeing whether they can be persuaded?

I'm sure this is all in hand. I'd love to see this back next year.

PS - loved the fireworks Saturday night :)

MikeEye

Postby MikeEye » Mon Jul 12, 2010 15:23 pm

John Stevenson wrote:Brands Hatch has a number of advantages [...] better countryside for the sportive [...] decent built-in catering and showers (sorry to the people who didn't find them but the showers up the hill from the expo area were the way to go) and lots more.
I did the Sportive and really enjoyed it - despite some fool turning the heat up to max :-) However, I can't understand the 'better countryside' claim. I did the shorter sportive last year and was disappointed this time to not get the chance to do the longer route through the Peak District.

Also, I asked in the registration tent for the location of the showers. I was directed to the abysmal facilities in the camping area. Obviously, I wasn't told they were abysmal - I figured that out for myself. They were much better at Donington last year. Maybe the secret facilities were really good - maybe they were really good because they were a secret. :lol:
If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.

glauciaregina9

Postby glauciaregina9 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 08:53 am

Loved last years BikeRadar event

The only reason I didn't go this year was because of it's location - was planning to go for the Saturday until I discovered it was at Brands Hatch, right down at some far-flung corner of England-land :-( ...

Not really worth the trip from Stockport, unless you're staying overnight, which unfortunately I couldn't do ...
Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead

Minky79

RADAR 2010

Postby Minky79 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:47 pm

As a new biking convert I was super excited about Radar and camping and seeing all things bikes. I was pleasantly surprised with all the stalls and the Dirt Jumps were unlike anything I have ever seen and I was hooked. I enjoyed the layout and didn't think it was at all that spaced out especially compared to Dalby where I think I walked a marathon over the weekend and NO a bike wasn't needed to get about.
The camping space was big enough however the security around the car park and camping was non existant. I was concerned upon arrival that tickets were not checked to get onto the site so any thief could wander on and steal VW badges from the wheels of my car and bikes from tents I understand. (not mine thank god)
The showers were appauling at the campsite and to get a decent shower 5.30am was a good time. As for food in the campsite i will prepare better next year and bring more bbq'ing stuff.
Food variety and choice wasn't the best. I thought there may have been a food area where choice, drinks, coffee and a beer tent might have been situated down near the stalls and races.
Overall I was very happy with the weekend and I thank RAPHA for the only stall with decent COFFEE. I SHALL see you next year. Hayley[/b]

yeehaamcgee

Postby yeehaamcgee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 13:01 pm

steal VW badges from the wheels of your car?
seems like very 80s petty theft.

joec1

Postby joec1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 16:08 pm

Hi,

Firstly I loved BRL 2010. its the first i have been to (so that might be why haha), but it really gave me an eye opener.

couple of questions that you might like to consider for next year...

Im a St john Ambulance member in Wilts (pm me if you want contact details) who have acces to "Cycle Respoder" kit (as with most of the country) now... i saw the Police cycle stand offering free security tags, and advice on safety etc, but wondered if there was ever an offer made to other volountary organisations to allow them to show their kit, and offer people the chance to have a go? (the St John Cycle Responce bikes way a lot with all the neccessary kit).

I was also really keen to camp this year, but unfortunately had plans for the sunday so could only attend one day anyway. but having got home and kept an eye on the boars during sunday, i was suprisesd to hear that it was a really quiet and boring evening with little entertainment and high prices. which has put me off of next year (camping) a little.

Personally there was a lot happening, but i dont think i would have had enough to last two days? i was a little suprised by Trek, Lappierre and Specialized's absence, but assumed they didnt need to be there. however would have liked a chance to see next years bikes (not your fault i know).

I know you have mentioned john that Brands has a lot of hard standing for wet weather plans, but so have the likes of Castle Combe (A future publishing favourite), and Donny, if they are planned far enough in advance.

Anyway, was a nice change to venture around the m25, and see a little more of the country side :)

i was a lucky enough to have my first go on a road bike too :) which i like (suprisingly)

Anyhow.... off home to brave the traffic cheers for listening
www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.

mrlee

Postby mrlee » Wed Jul 14, 2010 15:03 pm

didnt go to last years event, so 2010 was my 1st taste of bikeradar live. venue was a bit of a trek for me coming from south wales(M25 on the friday peed me off). dissapointed with the lack of retailers there. took plenty of cash but could not buy what i wanted.

although i enjoyed myself and the weather was great, i expected a lot more

Curly68

Postby Curly68 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 20:57 pm

My kids and I enjoyed BRL but felt a bit dissapointed by it. I thought there would be more stands with sales on and more distributors/manufacturers. We arrived around 10.30am and was back in the car just before 3pm. We had wandered around the stands, had a chat with people, saw some racing but that was it. Nothing else to keep us there for longer.
Glad we took sandwiches and drinks. As a single parent, I like a bargain but the price of food was not far off extortionate!
Intense Tracer VP (09)
Intense Fenix
Intense SS (08)
Intense Uzzi SLX (02)
Intense M1 (00)
Intense Tazer FS (03)
Intense Tazer HT (03)
Intense Prototype (95)
Intense Sniper (09)
I like Intense bikes!

Return to “BikeRadar Live 2010”