ruckack or courier bag?

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice

Postby lost_in_thought » Mon Aug 02, 2010 15:45 pm

HamishD wrote:All three . . .

Courier bag more comfortable on the roadie than a (decently ventilated on the back) rucksack, especially when on the drops, but you can carry more in the latter.

Rack/panniers for when you’ve got lots to carry and don’t mind the bike handling like an absolute dog.

Now, is it REALLY more comfortable? I've been told this by some people, but I can't find any courier bag that even remotely supports these claims.

As for 'handling like a dog', I disagree, sure it's a shade heavier, but it only handles like a dog when you've got one side full of wine, and the other full of feathers, or similar.
lost_in_thought

Postby DonDaddyD » Mon Aug 02, 2010 15:53 pm

lost_in_thought wrote:

Courier bag more comfortable on the roadie than a (decently ventilated on the back) rucksack, especially when on the drops, but you can carry more in the latter.

Rack/panniers for when you’ve got lots to carry and don’t mind the bike handling like an absolute dog.

Now, is it REALLY more comfortable? I've been told this by some people, but I can't find any courier bag that even remotely supports these claims.

As for 'handling like a dog', I disagree, sure it's a shade heavier, but it only handles like a dog when you've got one side full of wine, and the other full of feathers, or similar.

I found this bag infinitly more comfotable than my rucksack.

It kinda just sat in the small of my back, which meant less pressure from the straps on my shoulders....
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
DonDaddyD

Postby WGWarburton » Mon Aug 02, 2010 15:54 pm

lost_in_thought wrote:

Sounds like an interesting night in...

Handles like a dog is an exaggeration, but a loaded rack does make a difference to the feel of a bike, especially if it's a lightweight that wasn't designed for one. The extra weight only slows it down a bit but it makes it feel slower, cos it doesn't get-up-and-go when you jump on the pedals. It also makes it less agile, so quick changes of direction are harder and trickier to float over potholes, tram tracks etc.
I always seem to get more snake-bite punctures with the weight on the bike, 'cos I can't unweight the back wheel as neatly... It's more comfortable, of course, but also less convenient (for my particular circumstances).

Cheers,
W.
WGWarburton

Postby HamishD » Mon Aug 02, 2010 16:06 pm

When I say "handles like a dog" I suppose I ought to clarify in that you can't throw the bike about in anywhere near the same way as unloaded, and it FEELS a whole lot different - light at the front too . . . top speeds admittedly not vastly different.

I use Ortlieb panniers and courier bags - ought to get the rucksack to complete the set . . . .
HamishD

Postby ride_whenever » Mon Aug 02, 2010 16:12 pm

For courier bags the crewroom ones are pretty good, and cheap at only £35 a pop, They're basically the same as my crumpler too :?
ride_whenever

Postby Rolf F » Mon Aug 02, 2010 16:41 pm

lost_in_thought wrote:

Not just about balance - the weight on the bike will affect handling even if well balanced. eg turning a 20lb bike into, say, a 26lb bike which putting the weight on your back doesn't do.

I've not tried a courier bag but they look much less stable than rucksacks to me. I wouldn't use one for hillwalking and I can't see a logical reason to use one on a bike either.

However, the comment about them being a bit uncomfortable on the drops I'd concur with a little - tend to slip forward when on the drops on a descent. Not sure that a courier bag wouldn't either.

As for the Knog thing - it'll still be sat on your back, like a courier bag, making you sweat. Doesn't look as though it can carry much either. I've certainly filled my 35 litre pack with shopping and stuff fully and still been fine on a hilly 30 mile ride after work!
Faster than a tent.......
Rolf F

Postby nomadicbry » Mon Aug 02, 2010 20:29 pm

cheers guys great advice and some more thinking for me
wouldn't call myself vain... I have an old hack with rack and panniers which is great for nipping down the pub, shops and into town. however I would rather have the weight on me than on the bike. I love the ascetics of a road bike and though have toured in the past with panniers I just don't want to put a rack on my roadie. not when I can fit it on my back

I've just moved from commuting on my hardtail...would prefer to save it for the trails and it was slow compared to my road bike and the distance I'm travelling. Might borrow a courier bag for a few days and try it. I have a good rucksack..vented etc

On the subject of clipless... I've used SPDs for years now and would never go out without them for a proper run either onroad or offroad. However when riding my hack (shops/pub etc) then it'll be flats...the cick clack of SPDs in the shops or pubs is just sily haha

Cheers again
B
nomadicbry

Postby Christophe3967 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 22:34 pm

My first commuting bike had a rack and panniers. I found that this encouraged a lot of extra stuff to be lugged around and when that bike was stolen I switched to a rucksack, which I much prefer, and which gets emptied out once a week to ensure that nothing is lurking in the depths . If I do really need to carry loads of stuff, it'll be work, so I have it couriered.
Christophe3967

Postby vorsprung » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:43 am

I find a rucksack more unstable than a large saddlebag

I don't usually use panniers for commuting
vorsprung

Postby Aidy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:50 am

In many ways I find panniers actually improves the handling of the bike.

More weight over the back wheel means more grip, so less wheel spin - also you can pull harder with the front brake with less fear of going over the bars.

I hate carrying stuff on my back, though - I'll throw a pannier on just to carry a t-shirt.
Aidy

Re: ruckack or courier bag?

Postby Dudu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 pm

nomadicbry wrote:Hi
What are people's views on the best way to carry stuff on their back is the courier bag more comfortable?

Cheers
Bryan

Carry as little stuff as possible, and carry it in a seat pack, which you can ditch for training runs and replace with a tiny seat pack for tube and tools.

Works for me.

I wouldn't use a rucksack if I were you. Makes your back sweaty, encourages you to carry too much and raises your CoG, buggering up the handling.

Postby MonkeyMonster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:38 am

as a side note - opearation "clean the massive crumpler" in the bath with a soak in warm water with a washing ariel tab. Bit of a scrub with brush and let soak again for another 30 mins. Rinsed with shower and hung up to dry.

Job done
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
MonkeyMonster

Location: Chiswick--> SCR Racetrack <-- Oldstreet if full stretch

Re: ruckack or courier bag?

Postby spotteddolphin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:26 pm

nomadicbry wrote:Hi

commuting around 12 miles each way. the route out is very hilly. I curently uee a rucksack which can end up being stupidly heavy if I take my laptop home. Don't want to fit panniers as I use the bike for training as well...it's a road bike with drops rather than a hybrid.

What are people's views on the best way to carry stuff on their back is the courier bag more comfortable?

Cheers
Bryan

Hello! I think it comes down to personal preference. If you are able to try a courier bag from a friend that would be a good start, likewise for a good Deuter backpack or something like that. Then at least you would start to get a feel on what you prefer.

Personally, I like a backpack because it feels more centred on the back, but many riders I know think a courier bag is just as stable, a little cooler, and has more space.

Cheers.

Ed.
What is this? A centre for Ants? It would have to be....at least 2 or 3 times this size!
spotteddolphin

Postby tiny_pens » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:50 pm

I still prefer to use my messenger bag on a my commute of 13 miles rather than anything else. However, if I need to carry heavy things (normal stuff is a large tim of soup, lots of fruit, clothes and a hardback book - probably somewhere in the region of 3-4 kg), I don't find it as comfortable as a rucksack (but still use it anyway)

I'd recommend a messenger bag with a waist strap to stop the bag sliding around and personally I like to set the height so that the bag sits on the small of my back keeping the weight low.

Like others have already said, I like panniers but don't like the reduced feeling of acceleration - like when standing up in the pedals to accelerate away at the top of a hill.

YMMV
tiny_pens

Postby MonkeyMonster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:58 pm

I wear my courier high up on the shoulders - feels more settled and comfortable...
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
MonkeyMonster

Location: Chiswick--> SCR Racetrack <-- Oldstreet if full stretch

Postby Stevo 666 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:34 pm

My rucksack works fine for me - though I've never tried a messenger bag so can't say one way or the other on that one. That said, I have 2 rucksacks for MTB'ing so no need to splash out on yet another.

Quite like the look of that thing DDD posted, mind you.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
Stevo 666

Postby cjcp » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:51 pm

Backpack for me. Got a 35-ish litre Kathmandhu. It's more comfortable than a courier bag and plenty of space for tools, laptop, clothes and work. As said above though, I think it's just personal preference.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."
cjcp

Postby scottgeniusltd2005 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 22:04 pm

strange how times have changed. 10 years ago only mtbers used rucksack or camelbacks. roadies used to turn their noses up at the thought of it.

i have a front luggage system on my folder and prefer a rucksack for convenience, downside is the drinks holder is on the back of the front luggage bag, and i'm too lazy to keep a bladder clean.

i tried a chrome messenger bag out at evans in manchester, it sat flat across the sweaty bits of my back and shoulders. it did look cool tho and it was massive. it had extras bits, like an ipod / phone holder on the strap and was 100% waterproof.
Cotic Soul rider.
scottgeniusltd2005

Postby Mynameisdann » Sat Aug 07, 2010 22:07 pm

I use a kriega r25, abit Ott for cycling but the harness makes it feel much lighter than a standard rucksack
Mynameisdann

Previous

Return to Commuting General