Cycling Buddies

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
deptfordmarmoset

Cycling Buddies

Postby deptfordmarmoset » Tue Oct 19, 2010 03:51 am

Would you be prepared to put your name down as someone happy to act as a guide to a new or returning commuter? A bit of route advice, encouragement, road tips....that sort of help and guidance.

Or are you thinking about taking the plunge but are still a little hesitant, unsure of the route or traffic conditions?

If your answer is yes, I've put up a loose and evolving online spreadsheet where you can put your name down if you're happy to help or where you can look to see whether anyone is already riding a similar route who might be able to help you.

A little background introduction with links to the spreadsheet

Or go straight to the names and routes

I can't seem to get the first link to work in IE though. It works fine in other browsers, so if you can't see it without having to go through the rigmarole of registering or signing in, the links and background are also here

Butterd2

Postby Butterd2 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 16:18 pm

Great work DM and Cyclopsbiker in pushing this, let's hope it get's some takers.
Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols

cherishsos

Re: Cycling Buddies

Postby cherishsos » Sat Apr 07, 2012 05:27 am

:?:

seems to interesting

leeds-lass

Postby leeds-lass » Wed Apr 25, 2012 18:15 pm

signed up

bushu

Postby bushu » Fri Jun 22, 2012 06:33 am

Topic isnt so fresh but thinking about signing up just to put another northerner on the map :)

sneill

Postby sneill » Fri Oct 19, 2012 14:52 pm

New here, just bought a road bike as I've wanted one for a while and figured if I use it for commuting it pays for itself and some! The spreadsheet doesn't seem to be loading properly for me, only shows 3 people signed up?

Anyway, is there anyone that cycles from Sutton to Bond Street or nearby? I start work at 9am, so 7.30 start and I'll vary on the return journey time, sometimes 5.30 sometimes 8 or 9.

deptfordmarmoset

Postby deptfordmarmoset » Fri Oct 19, 2012 17:31 pm

sneill wrote:New here, just bought a road bike as I've wanted one for a while and figured if I use it for commuting it pays for itself and some! The spreadsheet doesn't seem to be loading properly for me, only shows 3 people signed up?

Anyway, is there anyone that cycles from Sutton to Bond Street or nearby? I start work at 9am, so 7.30 start and I'll vary on the return journey time, sometimes 5.30 sometimes 8 or 9.

Sneill, someone had applied a filter so that it only showed Leeds riders. I've reset it.

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 18:04 pm

Just added myself as a buddy,

NW london (Barnet) into the city - westminster - via a load of popular destinations

PM me if you need a buddy
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

sneill

Postby sneill » Fri Nov 09, 2012 13:02 pm

deptfordmarmoset wrote:
sneill wrote:New here, just bought a road bike as I've wanted one for a while and figured if I use it for commuting it pays for itself and some! The spreadsheet doesn't seem to be loading properly for me, only shows 3 people signed up?

Sneill, someone had applied a filter so that it only showed Leeds riders. I've reset it.

Thanks, nobody on my route though. I would sign up but I'm a complete novice commuter so best to get some experience before offering myself as a buddy. I'm never too sure about just starting conversation with other cyclists at traffic lights etc. I'm used to the train, where talking to strangers is strictly taboo! Is it similar for the cycling commute?

nacnudsmada

Postby nacnudsmada » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:11 pm

sneill wrote:
deptfordmarmoset wrote:

Thanks, nobody on my route though. I would sign up but I'm a complete novice commuter so best to get some experience before offering myself as a buddy. I'm never too sure about just starting conversation with other cyclists at traffic lights etc. I'm used to the train, where talking to strangers is strictly taboo! Is it similar for the cycling commute?

Where about's are you commuting from - too?

sneill

Postby sneill » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 am

Sutton to Central London (wigmore street).

nacnudsmada

Postby nacnudsmada » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 am

ok, sadly im Uppp north!

dezbruce

Postby dezbruce » Fri Mar 01, 2013 13:51 pm

Seems to be forgotten about but i've added to this. :)

Masonavickof

Postby Masonavickof » Fri Mar 15, 2013 13:08 pm

Added on to list.

Brian

Ciar

Postby Ciar » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi All,

Just got myself back in the saddle first time since my early 20's, mainly due to quitting smoking 10 months ago, been on the bike with a friend regular saturday's out and using the turbo trainer, but now looking to commute to work, im based in South Woodford and work in Canary Wharf, im a novice in regards to commuting but have been out on the road a few times, been scouting various forums and just came across this one, be great if there is someone else who commutes to the same area, or any pointers on routes would be great.

had a check on the list, what a great idea, first of its kind i have found over the various websites i have signed up to,hopefully someone will be able to give me pointers or a buddy to commute with.

Cheers
Ciar

goonz

Postby goonz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 am

Not sure how to add to the spreadsheet but this seems a decent idea.

Ciar I notice you are close(ish) to me, I commute daily from Barking to St Pauls, let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

deptfordmarmoset

Postby deptfordmarmoset » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Goonz, simply add your details to the nearest empty row and I'll be along in a while to re-sort it alphabetically. If I was cleverer I would have figured out how to make a form for entering information on google spreadsheets but I'm not so I didn't.

goonz

Postby goonz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 pm

I did try that but it wasn't typing anything, perhaps my work browser is not supported by BR? Could be the problem?
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

Ciar

Postby Ciar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 06:12 am

goonz wrote:Not sure how to add to the spreadsheet but this seems a decent idea.

Ciar I notice you are close(ish) to me, I commute daily from Barking to St Pauls, let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

cheers mate, I will drop you a PM.

PBo

Postby PBo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Thread resurrection! Added myself...

Return to “Commuting General”