Cyclists without lights - give a bad name to all cyclists

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
Blue Meanie

Re: Cyclists without lights - give a bad name to all cyclist

Postby Blue Meanie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 19:30 pm

alfablue wrote:
markchalmers wrote:How strong are they, my main issue would be trying to avoid the mass amount of pot holes on the way out of the 2 mile stretch of forest.
They are strictly "be seen" lights, they won't help you see much; anything that will suit unlit roads will be big and therefore less likely to be spares that you carry around all the time "just in case".

They also last about 10 hours on a set of non-rechargables and don't have light exiting from the side - so basically useless, cute though.
FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Dec 10, 2012 22:29 pm

Point is, they're backup, so keep in your bag. Keep a rechargeable battery in your bag for 6 months and don't expect any juice after 6 months!

agg25

Postby agg25 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 14:35 pm

Planet X skull type LED on the front of the helmet (£1.50) and the back, also one on the handlebars and one on the backpack. 120db air horn on the handlebars if they still don't see. Sorted.
Although I think you're just as stupid, if not more, for riding without a helmet, one fukup and your head will crack like an egg.

CarlosDSanchez

Postby CarlosDSanchez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 22:40 pm

Well I just saw one of these dudes knocked off on a roundabout in Norwich. He got up and apologized to the driver (he was taking the third exit and riding in the gutter of the left hand lane as well) Hopefully he'll invest in some lights now. Disagree with the whole no lights gives us a bad name, bit to Daily Hale really. There are plenty of dumb drivers who don't use lights/wear seatbelts/speed/jump red lights etc etc doesn't make me think they're all twats though, just some of them.
Dolan Preffisio
2010 Cube Agree SL

centimani

Postby centimani » Wed Dec 19, 2012 21:30 pm

CarlosDSanchez wrote:Well I just saw one of these dudes knocked off on a roundabout in Norwich. He got up and apologized to the driver (he was taking the third exit and riding in the gutter of the left hand lane as well) Hopefully he'll invest in some lights now. Disagree with the whole no lights gives us a bad name, bit to Daily Hale really. There are plenty of dumb drivers who don't use lights/wear seatbelts/speed/jump red lights etc etc doesn't make me think they're all twats though, just some of them.

Agreed.
Improper use of lights (foglights on all the time seems to have become 'cool'...the tw@ts/
Cyclops drivers, one headlight out. Apparently someone excused it by raising the fact that some headlights can cost £200 plus to replace. TOUGH...shouldnt have brought the car in the first place, no excuse.
Red light gamblers...this has become a real problem where i live.
Tailgaters...idiots.
I'm no perfect driver, but i won't be an apologist for bad cyc;ists. They're tw@ts, just as many drivers are.

ben@31

Postby ben@31 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 am

Hey, I even use lights during the day. But then I have a fear of getting run over.

Anyone from Leeds? I've spent Christmas and New Year there and was shocked at the amount of cyclists in Leeds city centre with

-No helmet
-No lights
-No reflectives
-Dark clothes
-On one of the most busiest roads I've seen.

When I was in Leeds, I had a look in a cycle store. My eyes were that dazzled by an Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket, that I bought one. And the Altura night vision bib tights too.

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 00:49 am

RobertSims wrote:Evolution will get its way - stupid people will get run over! Just hope don't drag me into it though! Complete numpties

LOL brilliant comment, really funny rant for the OP :)
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

EH_Rob

Postby EH_Rob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 13:55 pm

This thread reminds me of the Daily Mail. Get a grip for gods sake.

Return to “Commuting General”