Boardman Hybrid Race

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice

Boardman Hybrid Race

Postby sensation » Sat Feb 02, 2013 04:17 am

Morning dudes and dudettes

Few weeks ago, and i'm sure it's happened to everyone. my prized Giant CRS 4.0 got nicked.

As a replacement I've had my eyes on the

1. Boardman Hybrid Race at halfords. retails at around £400 ish.

2. Specialized Sirrus Elite 2012 same price

Looking for a good hybrid around the £400 mark to match my old Giant CRS 4.0. and these two seem good
sensation

Re: Boardman Hybrid Race

Postby oxoman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:26 am

I would say go for the Sirrus because you don't have the hassle of Halfrauds iffy build service. The Boardman is not a bad bike though. The 2012 Sirrus may have had the Forks swapped due to recent recall and may not have eyelets for mudguards as mentioned by someone recently, so you will need to check.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX
oxoman

Postby sensation » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for replying. Would you possibly say the boardman hybrid race, has better components and perhaps be faster than the Sirrus?

Lol salesman at Halfrauds said 'Well, it's a cracking bike the Hybrid race, and even some of the components on it when added together cost more than the bike itself'

hmmm
sensation

Postby apreading » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:08 am

When I looked 18 months ago, the entire Sirrus range had shockingly poor components for the money, whereas Boardmans were much better than you would expect for the money.

Suffice to say, I got a Boardman Hybrid Team.

If you want another option, the Carrera Gryphon is really good and light for the money, again from Halfords unfortunately.

If you do go for Halfords, I think they have a 'spend and save' on at the moment - reserve your bike online for store pickup to get this. Also, if you join British Cycling (for £18 a year) you get 10% (on top of any other discounts) off which is often more than the cost of membership.

British Cycling is reduced to £18 by using the TForL13 code http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/common/vouche ... ishcycling
apreading

Return to Commuting General