More camera buying advice

The centre for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Cat With No Tail

More camera buying advice

Postby Cat With No Tail » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Talk to me.

I've seen this one at the local Jessops and had a feel of it and took a couple of snaps in the shop.

Nikon P510

I like the simplicity, and it seems to be pretty well kitted out.

Was wondering if the resident photographers can cast an eye over the specs and let me know what their opinion is. Sensor size and all that guff that I really know nuffink about.

estampida

Re: More camera buying advice

Postby estampida » Thu Jun 28, 2012 13:55 pm

I have a sony, and would recommend alpha's

ok they have some short comings but sony bought minolta, and use the minolta lens fitting

therefore ebay has plenty of lenses, although some of the early slr lenses are compatible they are not geared for dslr use

but the lenses you get in consumer packs tend not to be that useful and new 1's cost......

snowjho

Postby snowjho » Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:05 pm

Cat With No Tail wrote:Talk to me.

I've seen this one at the local Jessops and had a feel of it and took a couple of snaps in the shop.

Nikon P510

I like the simplicity, and it seems to be pretty well kitted out.

Was wondering if the resident photographers can cast an eye over the specs and let me know what their opinion is. Sensor size and all that guff that I really know nuffink about.

IMO as an keen amateur, having owned a similar bridge camera (Lumix FZ100), if you are intending to use it in good light and not print images greater than A4 in size then it should be great. It is cramming a lot of megapixels onto the sensor so it does all depend on the on board processing, which you will have a bit of control over. You can't match it for amount of Zoom. If you don't exceed ISO 400 on it I'm sure it will be fine.

Another great tip is to take an SD card into the shop and save some photos on there and take them home to zoom in on and scrutinise.

Alternatives are the FZ150 by Lumix and Fuji HS30. There is a Canon as well. I would be going for the lumix purely because it has a LEICA lens.

For the record I upgraded to a Nikon DSLR after my bridge camera, primarily for its low light capability but I do miss that zoom!

I have used the forums on dpreview for tips on my cameras, its very good.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:25 pm

depends what you want it for. That's getting towards the entry price for an SLR, and it's too bulky to stick in most pockets for a walkabout camera.

pauljoes

Postby pauljoes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 18:39 pm

I had one for my birthday was thinking of getting a dlsr but then with my compulsive buying I thought I would be buying lenses every month to get the zoom I got with the p510. Got loads of feature on it that would surely keep a keen learning photographer happy. panoramic Is Cool and 3D filming.....all I need now is a 3D tv tho lol
TREK REMEDY 9
ORANGE CRUSH
DOLAN TUONO
PLANET X PRO CARBON

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Sat Jun 30, 2012 17:18 pm

For that money I would get a DSLR unless you really must need that big zoom on the cheap.

.blitz

Postby .blitz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 13:42 pm

Try not to be misled by epic zooming the image sensor will be very small to support 42x zoom so although you have 16.1 mp the image will be nowhere near as clear as 16.1 mp on an SLR. VR/IS have problems of their own.

As above providing you don't take it out of its comfort zone it will take satisfactory pictures. The problems start when (if) you start to get creative - low light, macros, long distance, wide angle, fast moving etc

My money would be on an SLR body and some lenses you won't regret it once you get going.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Mon Jul 02, 2012 14:04 pm

.blitz wrote:Try not to be misled by epic zooming the image sensor will be very small to support 42x zoom so although you have 16.1 mp the image will be nowhere near as clear as 16.1 mp on an SLR. VR/IS have problems of their own.

BUT!!!!
If the zoom is what you're after, you'll never get that amount of zoom on a DSLR. And if you did, the lens would be about the size of a double decker bus.

Giraffoto

Postby Giraffoto » Thu Jul 05, 2012 13:59 pm

Don't get hung up on "zoom", it's just a number so that people who don't know anything about cameras can point to it and say larger=better. Think about speed of focusing, shutter lag, how good the viewfinder is and how intuitive the controls are - try a few in the shop to see what's best for you. What's far more important is to have what you need for taking pictures. So . . .

• Buy the camera. There aren't any rubbish ones about
  • Get a decent bag or pouch so that it's always close at hand. It's no use in a drawer
  • Take lots and lots of pictures of what you want to take pictures of
  • Choose your favourites, and make a note of the focal length you used
  • Consider getting a dSLR in a couple of years time if you've really enjoyed photography.

If you get as far as the dSLR, just get two lenses to take you from about 16mm to 300mm (if it's an APS-C sensor) and you'll probably be happy with it. And don't think about "zoom" too much
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

Giraffoto

Postby Giraffoto » Thu Jul 05, 2012 14:02 pm

Also, Nikon P510 - perfectly good. Get one and have fun
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 14:45 pm

Giraffoto wrote:If you get as far as the dSLR, just get two lenses to take you from about 16mm to 300mm (if it's an APS-C sensor) and you'll probably be happy with it. And don't think about "zoom" too much

Unless you actually need incredible zoom.
He's not said what he wants it for. He may want to take pictures of the moon and such.

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 am

Yep, I like the zoom on mine.

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:17 pm

It'll be used for a bit of everything, from static shots of the bikes, to family pics, landscapes and MTB races.

I'd also like to be able to get a few shots of mates racing up at Jurby and during TT, MGP and S100. You can't always get as close as I'd like to the action, especially at the best parts of the course.

I'm not saying I need the massive power-zoom, so long as the pics can be fairly heavily cropped without too much loss of quality.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:24 pm

if you don't actually need that level of crazy-zoom, then I'd have to say that an entry level DSLR would probably be a better bet.
Superzoom cameras tend to have lenses that don't go very "wide angle" - making it a pain in the ars* to take pictures of family, or groups of people indoors.

Twelly

Postby Twelly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:33 pm

I have just bought a Panasonic Lumix GF3 and I am very impressed with it. I'm no camera nerd but it takes SLR quality snaps and videos and only cost £270.
I can send you links later if you want examples of pictures/videos taken by a bumbling photography novice.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Lumix are very very good - but "SLR quality" is a bit of a misnomer.

Twelly

Postby Twelly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:45 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Lumix are very very good - but "SLR quality" is a bit of a misnomer.

As I said, I'm no photography expert, but to my uneducated eyes, my pictures look as good as my some of my photography-graduate-mates pictures do with his Canon 600D (think that's what he has).

It does all the adjustments like a DSLR as well - aperture, shutter speed, ISO blah blah.

Have a look: http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/benmoorey/

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Jul 06, 2012 13:07 pm

TwellySmat wrote:As I said, I'm no photography expert

Yeah, I gathered.
There are things you can do with SLRs due to their construction.
The sensors are far larger than compact cameras, which mean you can have images with far narrower depth of field, isolating the subject better in the image.
Also, the larger sensor allows much higher sensitivity without sacrificing grainyness, making them far more adept at taking pictures in low lighting. Generally these bigges sensors also have a wider dynamic range, so they can capture darker shadows and brighter highlights simultaneously.
Then there's the off-camera flash systems you can get for DLSRs, for when there's nowhere near enough light, with endless creative possiblities.
And then there's the choice of lenses, so you get less lens distortion effects, or more, if you'd like.

So.. "SLR Quality" means nothing, ultimately.
SLRs have a huge potential for solving tricky photographic challenges, but they still need someone who knows how to use them.

And yes, I KNOW Panasonic lumix are awesome compacts/bridge cameras. I'm just explaining that saying "SLR quality" ultimately shows a lack of knowledge and respect for what SLRs can do both theoretically, and in practice.
Last edited by YeehaaMcgee on Fri Jul 06, 2012 13:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twelly

Postby Twelly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 13:29 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:I'm just explaining that saying "SLR quality" ultimately shows a lack of knowledge and respect for what SLRs can do both theoretically, and in practice.

Apologies Mr Bailey.

TwellySmat wrote:As I said, I'm no photography expert

When I say 'SLR quality' I mean that difference between dull, flat compact pictures and vibrant, sharp pictures with depth of field and the ability to isolate the subject with the focus. I think the Lumix does this very well. The video quality (frame rate, resolution, depth) is also very impressive. I'm sure you can do a host of fantastic and wonderous things with a full on SLR but for:
Cat With No Tail wrote:It'll be used for a bit of everything, from static shots of the bikes, to family pics, landscapes and MTB races.

..I would say the one I bought is very very good.

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Fri Jul 06, 2012 13:33 pm

It'll be used for a bit of everything, from static shots of the bikes, to family pics, landscapes and MTB races.

In that case I'd take an entry level SLR. I do use my Zoom, but I do a bit of astro photography. Bridge/zoom cameras are good all rounders, but you do find the limits, especially low light as Yeehaa says. And wide angle (plus you get some barrel distortion with super zooms)

Return to “The Hub”