for the physicists...

The centre for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
mrmonkfinger

Re: for the physicists...

Postby mrmonkfinger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 13:09 pm

cooldad wrote:Maybe Hawkins is god, just not letting on - would ruin his rep for god to talk through a computer.

Or maybe God just really liked Intergalactic by the Beastie Boys and thought it would be cool if he sounded a bit like that.

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 16:39 pm

mrmonkfinger wrote:
bluechair84 wrote:a Universe with no experimental or visible signs of his presense

No observable or experimentally provable signs of "his presence" means you could never know if "God" was ever the right concept, or even the concept of the universe being deliberately created in any way, which just goes to prove that any religion is a pointless construct of our collective imagination.

Well I completely agree. My very good friend goes along with this argument; that you can't disprove 'his' omnipotence when he designed it to appear as if he isn't here. Other than the fact that this is proof of every conceivable wack-theory going, and our greatest asset as humans is that of reason which is the only thing that we can rely on...

kieranb

Postby kieranb » Fri Oct 05, 2012 09:06 am

why would one believe and worship should a god? Anyway if you're going to go around believing things with no supporting evidence why not make up something a bit better? Like the vikings did with Valhalla?

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 am

bluechair84 wrote:Well I completely agree. My very good friend goes along with this argument; that you can't disprove 'his' omnipotence when he designed it to appear as if he isn't here. Other than the fact that this is proof of every conceivable wack-theory going, and our greatest asset as humans is that of reason which is the only thing that we can rely on...

Yep. That's "burdon of proof":

https://s3.amazonaws.com/yourlogicalfal ... hic_A1.pdf

Reason, humankind's greatest asset? I would say so.

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 am

cyd190468 wrote: And beyond that it says you can't travel through space at a velocity greater than c. It doesn't limit the rate at which space can expand.

This is quite interesting. So the universe's expansion is exempt from [the law that sets speed of light as the speed limit]

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 am

Velocity in co-moving coordinates ;-).

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 14:33 pm

I knew it was as simple as that

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:00 am

bluechair84 wrote:
cyd190468 wrote: And beyond that it says you can't travel through space at a velocity greater than c. It doesn't limit the rate at which space can expand.

This is quite interesting. So the universe's expansion is exempt from [the law that sets speed of light as the speed limit]

Not really exempt - it is all relative! Different elements of the universe can be moving away from each other at a speed which is greater than the speed of light in respect to each other. We can for example see galaxies moving away from us at a speed greater than the speed of light (red shifted to a high degree) but this does not mean the galaxy itself is traveling faster than the speed of light - both are moving away from each other at sub light speed.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Return to “The Hub”