Bikely beta testing

An area to discuss the use of and any issues with using http://www.bikely.com/ and the BikeRadar Routes
jamescw

Bikely beta testing

Postby jamescw » Thu Oct 20, 2011 13:58 pm

Thanks for your patience everybody. We've been working hard to iron out all of the problems with Bikely and have now launched a beta version of our new and improved site for testing.

You can access this at http://beta.bikely.com.

What we ideally need is for users to go in and try to add routes. Let us know if you experience any problems so we can iron them out before the new site goes live.

Thanks,

James

flyingporkpies

Re: Bikely beta testing

Postby flyingporkpies » Sun Nov 13, 2011 05:15 am

Mapping was easier, but how do you print a map? I get blank pages or a notepad code.
Cheers
flyingporkpies

kingeorge

Postby kingeorge » Sun Nov 13, 2011 14:57 pm

Hi - some comments about the beta -
Route drawing is much easier, particularly with the ability to delete the last entry and have the whole last section taken with it. Much better than having to delete a load of automatically added points. However, could do with a "stop drawing" button so that I don't add points when I am just panning around.

Like the look of the profiles.... HOWEVER.. the climb/descent numbers seem way out. Comparing V1 and beta altitudes for the same route gives very different numbers. Just done Sault to Mont Ventoux in Beta and got 1979m climb and 795m descent!! The profile line looks jagged all the way, and from experience I can assure you that the road goes up and up with only a short period of flattish. In V1, the numbers are 1547m and 348m, so the actual climb accuracy is an issue with both systems, but V2 is significantly worse.

:( Downer - the profile sometimes fails and shows just a set of blue dots across the top. When this occurs I can't close the profile box and have to exit and restart.

Also - the "nearest city" seems an odd restriction. I gave up trying to find one and opted for "Nice" which is 200km from the route starting from Valence, which should be there.

Keep up the good work

Timmy99

Postby Timmy99 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 21:06 pm

I take it the beta has now gone live, posting some thoughts here anyway.

Deleting auto-added points along with the last added is good.
So is the new 'reverse' button, allowing you to add points to either end of the route.

Downsides... editing an existing route has several problems.
It seems much fiddlier to grab a point and move than before, and sometimes the result is to create a new point rather than grabbing the one you want.
Under IE the process is unusably slow in fact, and even other browsers seem to take a while before the 'drag map' cursor changes to the 'grab point' one.
While the ability to grab a bit of line and make a new point is nice in theory, I miss the 'add new point half way to the next' buttons. Also the old 'stop drawing' button was useful and is now missing.
Worst of all, with both Chrome and Firefox there is a bug where if you move or add more than a couple of points, every point except the start gets deleted.

Good to see work being done on the site nonetheless :)

lenny212

Postby lenny212 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 08:08 am

This is getting very frustrating. I cannot login and the password reset feature doesn't work. What can I do?

snowmole

Postby snowmole » Sat Nov 26, 2011 15:40 pm

New error since Beta went live:
Show Elevation Profile just shows a blank popup and generates continuous Javascript errors e.g.
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED) [nsIDOMSVGTextPositioningElement.getNumberOfChars]" nsresult: "0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)" location: "JS frame :: http://static.beta.bikely.com/132031596 ... dle.min.js :: anonymous :: line 949" data: no]

Firefox 2.0.0.20 OSX10.3.9

HillSlugger

Postby HillSlugger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 17:37 pm

How do I place a point over an existing route segment to create an out-and-back?

josnor
Lead Developer

Postby josnor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:18 pm

lenny212 wrote:This is getting very frustrating. I cannot login and the password reset feature doesn't work. What can I do?

Sorry you're having trouble logging in. What's your Bikely username?

lenny212

Postby lenny212 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 am

bikely username is also lenny212 - thanks for your help

josnor
Lead Developer

Postby josnor » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:18 am

Your username's actually Lenny212 (note the capital L is important). If you still have trouble logging in, try the password reset function again - there was a bug in it that we fixed yesterday.

lenny212

Postby lenny212 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:36 am

Success - thanks Josnor - I am back to planning my holiday

lenny212

Postby lenny212 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:47 am

When I click Save Route on a route created on the previous version of Bikely I get the error message "Your route could not be saved: You are editing a route which doesn't appear to exist"
The route name is "Toongabbie to Bowral".

lenny212

Postby lenny212 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:52 am

Edited - this comment removed - my mistake

josnor
Lead Developer

Postby josnor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 am

Odd, I'll have a look into it.

Timmy99

Postby Timmy99 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 16:44 pm

Some more testing notes :
1) I see we have a 'pause drawing' button back, cool.
2) The road-following algorithm seems better than the old site.
3) We now seem to have two distinct sorts of point, I will call them waypoints and trackpoints - since that is how they get exported to a GPX file. That is all well and good but there are a few oddities.
a) Any point created by clicking to add to the end of the route, or dragging from along the route, becomes a waypoint, even if you don't add descriptive text. Trackpoints are only created when using the road-follow option. This tends to result in a route with many useless waypoints, confusing for a GPS unit and also, once there are more than 50 or so waypoints editing the route becomes really slow. An effective but not-ideal workaround is to download the route as a GPX, change all waypoints to trackpoints, and import again.
b) You can pick up and drag a waypoint, but not a trackpoint. Fine, if you have a trackpoint in the wrong place just delete it, but...
c) If you do delete a trackpoint, any and all trackpoints forming an unbroken line either side of it also get deleted. Can be worked around by ensuring the points to either side are both waypoints, creating them if necessary, but still not ideal.

So anyway - I can now work around the issues to use the site to design and edit routes again, cheers.

Return to “Bikely”