Cue sheet distances are wrong

An area to discuss the use of and any issues with using http://www.bikely.com/ and the BikeRadar Routes
DesWeller

Cue sheet distances are wrong

Postby DesWeller » Thu Mar 15, 2012 21:08 pm

Hello

I've got a problem with a route; I'm adding comments at the waypoints for the cue sheet, but the distances on the cue sheet appear to be in km not miles. If that's the case I can deal with it; can you take a look and confirm the units for the cue sheet please?

Ta

DW

Carbonfiberboy

Re: Cue sheet distances are wrong

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 03:07 am

DesWeller wrote:Hello

I've got a problem with a route; I'm adding comments at the waypoints for the cue sheet, but the distances on the cue sheet appear to be in km not miles. If that's the case I can deal with it; can you take a look and confirm the units for the cue sheet please?

Ta

DW
Yes, the "technical staff" here have known about this since about the first of the year, but have yet to do anything about it. The cue sheet says "mi", but the distances are all in kilometers. If you select km in the Options box, it'll say "km" but the numbers will be the same.

But hey, we're all lucky! We've only had cue sheets restored to bikely for a few weeks. To create cue sheets in miles, see my post down-forum, "How to create a useful cue sheet" or some such title.

Thing is, the rest of the world is in km, so who cares if we can't get miles on our cue sheets?

Jeff Jones
Editor

Postby Jeff Jones » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:49 am

Try it now
Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports

DesWeller

Postby DesWeller » Mon Mar 19, 2012 17:27 pm

You boys are bloody awesome, you are.

Cheers!

D

Carbonfiberboy

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 20:31 pm

Yay!! And not only that, cue sheets now seem to display normally in Chrome.

Jeff Jones
Editor

Postby Jeff Jones » Tue Mar 20, 2012 17:18 pm

Excellent!

We're working on everything that gets brought to our attention. It takes a while as there are so many other projects competing for our dev time, particularly at the moment. However we don't want to neglect Bikely as it's a good site.
Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports

Carbonfiberboy

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 01:31 am

Jeff Jones wrote:Excellent!

We're working on everything that gets brought to our attention. It takes a while as there are so many other projects competing for our dev time, particularly at the moment. However we don't want to neglect Bikely as it's a good site.
I apologize for being harsh sometimes, but it's been so painful to watch the best bike mapping site in the business evaporate its user base. AFAIK I'm the only person in our 10,000 member club, or in the two smaller but influential clubs with which I ride, who's stuck with it. I'm personally very thankful that you've been working on it, because I have hundreds of hours of mapping time tied up in it. I'm going on a long European tour this year which I'd completely mapped, including all the tiny rural paths which had to be done manually, in bikely.

The main thing I run into still, and it's a very minor issue compared to the others you've fixed, is the fact that bikely logs me out whenever I close the browser, and after a certain amount of time has passed, even if I'm working on a route.

Carbonfiberboy

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 16:35 pm

Oh well, my kudos were premature. The cue sheet still has "mi" on it, which is crazy and just causes us more work to get rid of that notation. After one removes the "mi" however, a few, maybe only a couple of the numbers are preceded by a backslash and so don't display correctly. So there are still problems getting the numbers from the database and putting them on the screen.

Jeff Jones
Editor

Postby Jeff Jones » Fri Mar 23, 2012 22:22 pm

That's odd - mine (FF 11 (and 3.6) + Windows 7) switches between km and mi without a fuss. What browser are you on again?

I agree with you about Bikely logging you out, also about not remembering who you are (this seems to apply to me and a few others - highly annoying). we're trying to get to the bottom of that.
Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports

Carbonfiberboy

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 03:37 am

Jeff Jones wrote:That's odd - mine (FF 11 (and 3.6) + Windows 7) switches between km and mi without a fuss. What browser are you on again?

I agree with you about Bikely logging you out, also about not remembering who you are (this seems to apply to me and a few others - highly annoying). we're trying to get to the bottom of that.
You misunderstand me. The numbers switch between km and mi just fine, but the display puts "52mi" in the column instead of "52". Counting both distance columns, that takes up 4 spaces on the cue sheet, which means 4 spaces less for notes, plus it's hard enough to read the numbers while riding in the dark and rain without having extraneous characters in the mix like "km" or "mi".

It would be much better to just display the numbers instead of also the characters for the type of distance. The user can see by looking in the Options box which distance format they have selected. No need to display that twice on a zillion different lines.

And yes, bikely does seem to set cookies, just not read them. Also the elevation gain error is still there. Old Bikely was about 15% too high, but at least it was consistent, so it was possible to guess at the correct number.

Return to “Bikely”