Elevation gain error and correction factor

An area to discuss the use of and any issues with using http://www.bikely.com/ and the BikeRadar Routes
Kryger

Elevation gain error and correction factor

Postby Kryger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi, Im new user of Bikely as of yesterday and Im a bit surprised by the elevation gain error in Bikely. But it appears that everybody accepts the elevation gain error as far as I can see in this discussion forum. Is that so, and how do you cope with it.

I checked a few known routes, and compared with the elevation gain shown by Garmin 705, there is a considerable error in Bikely, but it looks like its quite consistent. If I divide the elevation gain in Garmin 705 with that found in Bikely, the factor is about 0,61. So if I multiply the Bikely elevation gain figure by 0,61, I roughly get the right elevation gain, that is if Garmin 705 is correct. I checked three known routes with elevation gains according to Garmin 705 between 3000 and 3400 meters, and it looks like the 0,61 factor can be applied in all three cases.

Have anybody of you guys out there checked whether the correction factor is consistent and do you get same figure as I do?

Karsten Kryger

Carbonfiberboy

Re: Elevation gain error and correction factor

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 16:31 pm

It's not so much that we accept it. We complain but nothing happens, so we've rather given up. I can guess much closer than the calculated number just by looking at the graph. I checked a couple of my recent routes. On one, bikely was close, maybe 10% over, on the other it was more than double my recorded gain. The second route was longer and flatter than the first. I'm guessing that the elevation inputs are fairly accurate, but the summation algorithm is screwy. The site has undergone a complete recoding in the past few months. The old site was much more accurate and I understand that the elevation database is the same. I could be wrong about that, because when one does a cue sheet many of the elevations shown for the Note points are way off. Hard to know where that error originates.

Kryger

Postby Kryger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 21:11 pm

Thanks Carbonfiberboy; I will just go by the graphs. I probably got the same error/correction factor as the three routes were all quite similar with tough steep climbs.

Carbonfiberboy

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 22:45 pm

I just mapped a 200k route with a known elevation gain, and bikely seems to be right on the money! Did someone fix something?

OTOH, the elevation numbers shown on the cue sheet are either missing or bear zero relation to reality, so maybe it's just a coincidence.

Edit 4/3/12: Yup, just some craziness in the code that randomly came up with the right answer. I just reopened that same route and now the gain has almost doubled from what it said immediately after creating it.

The elevations shown on the cue sheet are still completely random with no relation to actual elevation.

Return to “Bikely”