Mapping Utility used on Bikely.net

An area to discuss the use of and any issues with using http://www.bikely.com/ and the BikeRadar Routes
JamesQX

Mapping Utility used on Bikely.net

Postby JamesQX » Mon Mar 26, 2012 19:44 pm

Hello,

My name is James Miller. I am an Information Technology student at the Pennsylvania State University working on a project that involves website mapping utilities and route making.
The reason I am posting this topic is that I stumbled across bikely.net and discovered that the map/route creation technology used is very feature-rich and I would like to know more about it.

Could anyone possibly give me some details about what technology is used? Particularly, is the routing tool licensed software or did bikely.net develop it? If it is licensed software, could you tell me who the developer is, or how much it can be licensed for?

The software utilizes Google for mapping. Does google maps need to be licensed separately? How does the software interact with the website and it's databases?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

James Miller

JamesQX

Re: Mapping Utility used on Bikely.net

Postby JamesQX » Wed Apr 11, 2012 22:01 pm

I see the thread has got a lot of views. Is there really no one that can direct me to who developed Bikely.net? :|

Carbonfiberboy

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 01:32 am

You may not have noticed, but the last time a developer answered a question on this forum was February 29, in spite of the fact that bikely is nowhere near repaired or fully functional. They aren't here. They don't even look. We, the users, sure as heck don't know the answer to your question.

Hilariously, that is if your sense of humor is quite warped, the latest post is up at the top, by screen name supersonic, and locked, so one can't even ask what was meant by it. It's an admonishment directed at us, the users, to not post at all, essentially. Bizarre. And see, you've just committed the crime of bumping your post! You criminal, you.
And I'm bumping it again!

Meanwhile, no one answers. My take is that this whole thing is just a farthing-a-click ad revenue generator and they intend to spend as little time/money as possible on fixing it.

josnor
Lead Developer

Postby josnor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 09:00 am

Hello James!

Apologies for the delay in replying to you. The route creation tool is custom-built on top of the Google maps API. Our code handles the ability to click on various points on the map and have a route appear as well as add metadata to those points and edit existing points; Google's API handles the automatic routing between points ('follow the road') and the rendering of the points, lines and map tiles.

At the moment I don't think we're looking to license the software. We're also currently using Google Maps' free license but with their recent introduction of charges we're currently evaluating alternatives.

The front-end route drawing interface interacts with the back-end data store (MongoDB) by means of a Bikely-specific REST API.

Hopefully that answers your questions!

JamesQX

Postby JamesQX » Mon Apr 16, 2012 17:09 pm

josnor wrote:Hello James!

Apologies for the delay in replying to you. The route creation tool is custom-built on top of the Google maps API. Our code handles the ability to click on various points on the map and have a route appear as well as add metadata to those points and edit existing points; Google's API handles the automatic routing between points ('follow the road') and the rendering of the points, lines and map tiles.

At the moment I don't think we're looking to license the software. We're also currently using Google Maps' free license but with their recent introduction of charges we're currently evaluating alternatives.

The front-end route drawing interface interacts with the back-end data store (MongoDB) by means of a Bikely-specific REST API.

Hopefully that answers your questions!

Thank you for the information. It is very much appreciated. :)

JamesQX

Postby JamesQX » Wed Apr 18, 2012 19:12 pm

Josnor,

For the sake of obtaining a ballpark figure to include in my group's project. Hypothetically, if you were licensing the bikely.net software, how much roughly would you license it for?

A timely response would be very very appreciated.

Thanks

josnor
Lead Developer

Postby josnor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 07:59 am

See the reply to your PM

Return to “Bikely”