Bikely GPX routes do not import into BaseCamp

An area to discuss the use of and any issues with using http://www.bikely.com/ and the BikeRadar Routes
Carbonfiberboy

Bikely GPX routes do not import into BaseCamp

Postby Carbonfiberboy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 05:15 am

Bikely GPX routes do not import into Garmin BaseCamp. BaseCamp reports "unknown error when opening GPX file." The file does not import. None of them work.

However GPX routes from every other web-based mapping software import just fine. So bikely is not creating valid GPX files, which is probably the reason they are so unreliable when downloaded into my 800, and why no one I know who has a Garmin uses bikely anymore.

You might look into that. GPX files aren't worth much if they don't work with Garmin software.

jc000

Re: Bikely GPX routes do not import into BaseCamp

Postby jc000 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 16:33 pm

Yes, it seems that Bikely does not generate correct GPX. :(

For one thing, it puts the WPT's *after* the TRK's, which is wrong. Schema says the WPTs come first. If anything is doing schema validation on the GPX file, the import will fail for this.

FretBuzz

Postby FretBuzz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 17:08 pm

Thanks for that tip. I have just spent the last hour trying to load a Bikely gpx into Basecamp and my Edge 800 with no luck. It only took about 15 sec to do a cut and paste and swap the wpt's with trk's - resave, and it all works fine.

freezing77

Postby freezing77 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 18:06 pm

Carbonfiberboy wrote:Bikely GPX routes do not import into Garmin BaseCamp. BaseCamp reports "unknown error when opening GPX file." The file does not import. None of them work.

However GPX routes from every other web-based mapping software import just fine. So bikely is not creating valid GPX files, which is probably the reason they are so unreliable when downloaded into my 800, and why no one I know who has a Garmin uses bikely anymore.

You might look into that. GPX files aren't worth much if they don't work with Garmin software.

I just upload the gpx to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and then download as a gpx this usually sorts it out for me.

sportsnapper

Postby sportsnapper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 22:30 pm

Be nice to know if the redevelopment viewtopic.php?f=40054&t=12903575 will fix these gpx schema errors....or do we need to find a more permanent workaround?

sportsnapper

Postby sportsnapper » Tue May 21, 2013 21:54 pm

Still not fixed with the new version of Bikely

HikerJP

Postby HikerJP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 05:04 am

I was also getting an error message from Garmin BaseCamp trying to import a Bikely gpx file. I examined the gpx file using a text editor and found that the waypoint section (tagged as <wpt>) was located after track segments (starting with <trk>). After moving the waypoints to the top of the file, I had no problem importing into BaseCamp. Garmin is particular in its interpretation of the gpx schema.

I can explain in greater detail if anyone is interested. First check out http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp to understand how the gpx schema works (it's similar to HTML).

Return to “Bikely”