what camera do you use

Post your pictures and videos here!
supersonic
Lives Here

Re: what camera do you use

Postby supersonic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 19:31 pm

And of course with a bridge you don't have to carry about more lenses.

luk3

Postby luk3 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:08 pm

tahnks for the tips on getting a good pic . yes that is very true a bridge cam doesnt need more lenses i think after all the advice given i will stick with my fujifilm because the total cost of a dslr or 4/3 it seems that the bridge is the best value for money .

tomstickland

Postby tomstickland » Thu Jan 10, 2013 23:51 pm

Canon S90. Superceded by the S95, S100 and S105 now but still a great camera. Limited by the lens and sensor but packed with the feature set of SLR cameras.

Here's one I took a few months ago.
http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/wp-content/u ... t2-062.jpg

tomstickland

Postby tomstickland » Thu Jan 10, 2013 23:56 pm

I've found the S90 good for low light action shots. Under trees and that sort of thing. Have to work at ISO of 400-800 some times and pan the camera. Most times that will produce good enough photos. I usually crop and adjust the hue/saturation/lightness of the green, yellow and red to make backgrounds darker and faces lighter. Then a quick fiddle with the curves. If it's a bit noisy I might apply an anti-speckle filter a few times. All done using GIMP, great bit of software.

All these were taken with the S90.
http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/photos-brist ... fest-2012/

Typical low light...

From http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/photos-brist ... fest-2012/

doug@basqueMTB.com

Postby doug@basqueMTB.com » Sun Jan 13, 2013 14:42 pm

I'm using a Lumix GF1 which I love. I got it after using a Canon G9 for ages and it takes a far nicer picture. I only have one lens, the 20mm one, and use it for everything. It's small enough to fit on my rucksac strap for instant access and it pretty sturdy too.

.blitz

Postby .blitz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:57 pm

mrs blitz has a D7000 it is pretty good at taking 'nice pictures' in Auto mode the fun starts when you put it into Aperture/Shutter and Manual modes.

Like any SLR there are so many settings it's really easy to mess things up and take godawful pictures - out of focus, blurred, under/over exposed you name it it's easy to get it wrong. In addition you need some artistic talent or at least the ability to compose a picture otherwise the photos can be technically excellent but still boring. And the camera body is only half the equation the lenses are just as important and then there filters, flashes, tripods etc

Of course if you have the time and the motivation to do all this the results can be stunning but you need to 'embrace' the DSLR way and be prepared to take dozens of shots just to get a good one. It can take snaps like a compact but that's like riding a carbon V10 on a cycle path.

declan1

Postby declan1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 22:56 pm

supersonic wrote:Bridge camera can still work very well - much is to do with the skill of the photographer. Learn about how the manual settings work ie exposure and aperture.

I have a relatively inexpensive bridge, and a friend has a DSLR. On a recent trip out my pics blew his away simply because I knew how to use my cam, he didn't.

That said, in lower light situations the larger sensor on an SLR is king.

This. I used to know someone who had a professional-level D-SLR and he didn't know how to use it, therefore got photos anybody could get from a point-and-shoot.

I've got an entry-level DSLR (Sony Alpha-200). I got it because it was cheap - I would love the extra manual features of professional cameras but just don't have the money.

Take a look here for some examples - you could probably get photos like this on a bridge with relative ease:

www.declanphoto.weebly.com

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Richie63

Postby Richie63 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 19:38 pm

An old Olympus Mu , Panasonic TZ 20 and a Go pro Hero 2, a Canon 7D soon as prices are crashing
I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg

tomstickland

Postby tomstickland » Mon Jan 28, 2013 19:09 pm

You can run the high end compacts like the S90 and Sony jobby in full manual mode. I use manual mode for everything except when I'm riding along on the bike taking photos as I go. I can adjust aperture, iso, exposure time, white balance preset plus white balance red-blue / green-purple if required. It's the best way of getting good photos IMO.

JohnTudor

Postby JohnTudor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 23:58 pm

Canon 5D MK1

Lots of Mud!!! by johntudor.net, on Flickr

Canon 400D (easy to carry when out on the bike)

MTB Wales by johntudor.net, on Flickr

skooter

Postby skooter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:12 am

Ride about cameras and walk about cameras are different not unless your loaded and can afford to drop an expensive camera and lens.

matt_87

Postby matt_87 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:11 am

Have you considered a used DSLR? Canon 400Ds don't go for a lot these days, you can still take great pictures with them, and if it gets damaged on a ride, it's not quite as heartbreaking as ruining something like a brand new 600D.

I've tried bridge cameras before, I had one prior to my SLR. They just strike me as a poor compromise between a compact and a full-blown SLR, I would rather have one or the other, or ideally both.

johnny25

Postby johnny25 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 am

Use a Cannon DSLR when I can. Too cumbersome to take out on a bike.

Find the camera on my iPhone 4S good enough to use when out cycling.

cgarossi

Postby cgarossi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 17:01 pm

I have a D5100 with four different lenses but I would be very hesitant to take it on the trail with me. I've been using a DSLR for a few years now and would never go back to a regular point and shoot if I was taking photos I wanted to keep. I take with me a Samsung compact that does HD video though. And yes the iPhone camera is normally more than adequate.

My flickr photostream is here if anyone is interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossmiller/

Theres some of mountain mayhem 2010 taken with a D40 before I knew what I was really doing.

tomstickland

Postby tomstickland » Tue Apr 02, 2013 19:04 pm

I decided to use my mobile instead of my compact (Canon S90) on a 4 day ride. I got away with it, but the pictures are no match for what the compact produces. Good compromise I reckon using a semi decent compact.

Richie63

Postby Richie63 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 am

Canon 7D added to the above list can not wait to use it-charging battery now
I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg

b_real

Postby b_real » Tue Apr 09, 2013 21:40 pm

Echoing skooters point. A camera for taking out on the trails while riding is different from the one you want to take to an event.

Personally I think the bridge camera's are good for neither, too bulky for stashing and too inflexible for sports events (no lens choice, small sensors etc). Although I'm sure decent ones exist that can get you by.

Big fan of the S90/100/110 series for portability, although the sony rx100 would get my money for the bigger sensor; and it may even substitute a DSLR for landscapes once you get to the top.

If your a pure minimalist, the Nokia 808 is worth a look as well... good GPS (for a phone) and stunning picture quality (for a camera!).
Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.

AngusChild

Postby AngusChild » Fri Apr 19, 2013 14:35 pm

If I'm taking stills I always use a canon 40d, and I carry 3 lenses. This is the £1000 DSLR situation. It isn't easy to carry but in my opinion compacts don't have a scratch on the quality and creativity achievable using a fully manual DSLR.

NickWebster

Postby NickWebster » Fri Apr 19, 2013 15:30 pm

People have been taking action photos for more than 100 years. Long before autofocus, motor wind, auto exposure and instant reviewing on a screen. To say a bridge camera couldn't take bike photos is simply plain wrong.

I am a professional photographer and shoot action sports using a camera designed for landscapes and portraits. It is slow and clunky, but at the time, Sony didn't have anything better. Take a look at my website (http://www.nickwebster.com) and most of it is shot on my Sony A900s. Great action photography is more about anticipation than rattling-off as many pictures at possible hoping there are one or two half-decent ones in there.

b_real

Postby b_real » Sun Apr 21, 2013 20:03 pm

To say a bridge camera couldn't take bike photos is simply plain wrong.

Who said that bridge cameras can't take bike photos?
Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.

Return to “Your pics and vids!”