Broadband Speeds

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
OffTheBackAdam

Re: Broadband Speeds

Postby OffTheBackAdam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 am

Pity us poor peasants, sat in a hut, 10 miles from a city, who can't even get wired Broadband!

Coriander

Postby Coriander » Wed Nov 14, 2012 13:56 pm

How on earth do all you VM people do it?

I live in zone 2 in London, have had VM fibre optic since 13 September, am paying for 60Mbps but last night was utterly typical in that I got 0.01Mbps at 23:09, 0.21Mbps at 21:48 and managed a maximum of 0.8Mbps at 21:52.

I'm thinking of stopping payment on the grounds that they have breached the contract. Am so fed up. I was on a ISP via BT line until September but got uber fed up with that as the usual speed on a typical evening was about 0.27Mbps. Have actually managed to get even less speed, duh.

dynamicbrick

Postby dynamicbrick » Wed Nov 14, 2012 15:53 pm

Coriander wrote:How on earth do all you VM people do it?

I live in zone 2 in London, have had VM fibre optic since 13 September, am paying for 60Mbps but last night was utterly typical in that I got 0.01Mbps at 23:09, 0.21Mbps at 21:48 and managed a maximum of 0.8Mbps at 21:52.

I'm thinking of stopping payment on the grounds that they have breached the contract. Am so fed up. I was on a ISP via BT line until September but got uber fed up with that as the usual speed on a typical evening was about 0.27Mbps. Have actually managed to get even less speed, duh.

I used to work for Virgin - albeit on the Business side.

If you're getting 0.01mbps you've got something seriously wrong like a failed modem.

Anyway, I've always had my quoted speeds - 20mbps day in day out. Can't really see the need to upgrade to anything higher for domestic use as at 20mbps you're generally far faster than the other end of whatever connection you're downloading from.

Indeed, the write speed of hard disks is somewhere between 1.5mbps and 12mbps depending on type and age, so even my SSD equipped laptop can only absorb data at that speed.

Dabber

Postby Dabber » Wed Nov 14, 2012 17:20 pm

dynamicbrick wrote:

If you're getting 0.01mbps you've got something seriously wrong like a failed modem.

Agreed. You shouldn't be putting up with that performance. I've had my Virgin Media Hub or Super Hub replaced 3 times by VM. You should give them a call and get it sorted. Also, if you are connecting wirelessly you should try connectinng via an ethernet cable and see what performance you get like that. It's also worth having a look at what channel you are using with any wireless connection you have.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Giant Defy 3

airbag

Postby airbag » Wed Nov 14, 2012 22:02 pm

bowden769 wrote:
Kieran_Burns wrote:Image

Sorry.

(although I usually only get something in the 75Mb region)

Ah man

That's just plain rude

Smug? Me?

Although the trade-off is a 50Gb/month download limit, which video calling the OH eats up remarkably quickly. Tbh I can't say I ever felt my previous 5-8Mbps download speeds were an issue, except for maybe downloading games.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Wed Nov 14, 2012 22:14 pm

airbag wrote:

Smug? Me?

Although the trade-off is a 50Gb/month download limit, which video calling the OH eats up remarkably quickly. Tbh I can't say I ever felt my previous 5-8Mbps download speeds were an issue, except for maybe downloading games.

pah

no data limits in sunny oxford

Coriander

Postby Coriander » Wed Nov 14, 2012 22:18 pm

Dabber wrote:
dynamicbrick wrote:

Agreed. You shouldn't be putting up with that performance. I've had my Virgin Media Hub or Super Hub replaced 3 times by VM. You should give them a call and get it sorted. Also, if you are connecting wirelessly you should try connectinng via an ethernet cable and see what performance you get like that. It's also worth having a look at what channel you are using with any wireless connection you have.

OK, thanks for the guidance on what to do and say to VM. So with an ethernet connection it's 60Mbps. After the helpdesk had changed the channel for me it was 25mpbs as I stood next to the hub. Now I'm back upstairs it's really jumpy again - occasionally I'll get an immediate page change but the majority of times it chugs along as it loads the page.

Surely it's not unreasonable to expect a wireless connection that loads pages as simple as BikeRadar or Twitter immediately when I'm upstairs with all doors between me and the hub open? It's too slow to play BBC iplayer.

I really don't know what else to do.

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Wed Nov 14, 2012 22:19 pm

Set the superhub to router mode and get your own wireless router.

It's the common solution to the same problem.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Coriander

Postby Coriander » Wed Nov 14, 2012 22:23 pm

Kieran_Burns wrote:Set the superhub to router mode and get your own wireless router.

Thanks Keiran, will do. But will talk to them and see if they will provide that - their service has been appalling so far, they can damn well pay to deal with it.

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Wed Nov 14, 2012 22:42 pm

Coriander wrote:
Kieran_Burns wrote:Set the superhub to router mode and get your own wireless router.

Thanks Keiran, will do. But will talk to them and see if they will provide that - their service has been appalling so far, they can damn well pay to deal with it.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/self ... TYPE=Cable

Modem mode - not router mode. I'm too techy for my own good sometimes (it ain't actually a modem as it's all digital)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

redvee

Postby redvee » Wed Nov 14, 2012 22:45 pm

airbag wrote:Although the trade-off is a 50Gb/month download limit, which video calling the OH eats up remarkably quickly. Tbh I can't say I ever felt my previous 5-8Mbps download speeds were an issue, except for maybe downloading games.

VM have a traffic management policy which limits the amount you can download between 9am and 9pm but once 9pm comes along I abuse it. It has been known for me to do more than 10gb some nights, and as much as 50Gb :shock:

willhub

Postby willhub » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 am

13 miles from York here and about 16 from Leeds, I get around 4mbit and a download rate of 400kb/sec max, the exchange is just under 2 miles away.

At night it slows to an insane crawl, because those Barstewards known as TalkTalk throttle the connection, I know this because when it happens I can still max out my line on Usenet downloading.

Dabber

Postby Dabber » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Coriander wrote:
Dabber wrote:
dynamicbrick wrote:

OK, thanks for the guidance on what to do and say to VM. So with an ethernet connection it's 60Mbps. After the helpdesk had changed the channel for me it was 25mpbs as I stood next to the hub. Now I'm back upstairs it's really jumpy again - occasionally I'll get an immediate page change but the majority of times it chugs along as it loads the page.

Surely it's not unreasonable to expect a wireless connection that loads pages as simple as BikeRadar or Twitter immediately when I'm upstairs with all doors between me and the hub open? It's too slow to play BBC iplayer.

I really don't know what else to do.

This is a useful little tool for seeing what other wireless networks are operating in your locality and what channels they are using. It gives you the chance to change to a channel that is not being heavily used.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Giant Defy 3

PaulC555

Postby PaulC555 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 13:33 pm

I have lost the will to live with Broadband here.....

Live in the Stirling area of Central Scotland, just outside Alloa and we have a fantastic speed of 512kbps!!.....fantastic.....tried to load a Youtube video the other night, was 3.5 minutes long and took nearly 45mins to buffer it.........I give up......Anyone with a speed of 1mb or above should be damn grateful.....lol..
Moda Tempo
Willier Triestina Lampre Team Version
Planet X XLS 105 CX Bike

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 13:49 pm

PaulC555 wrote:I have lost the will to live with Broadband here.....

Live in the Stirling area of Central Scotland, just outside Alloa and we have a fantastic speed of 512kbps!!.....fantastic.....tried to load a Youtube video the other night, was 3.5 minutes long and took nearly 45mins to buffer it.........I give up......Anyone with a speed of 1mb or above should be damn grateful.....lol..

Sounds familiar?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 15:08 pm

redvee wrote:
airbag wrote:Although the trade-off is a 50Gb/month download limit, which video calling the OH eats up remarkably quickly. Tbh I can't say I ever felt my previous 5-8Mbps download speeds were an issue, except for maybe downloading games.

VM have a traffic management policy which limits the amount you can download between 9am and 9pm but once 9pm comes along I abuse it. It has been known for me to do more than 10gb some nights, and as much as 50Gb :shock:

The bandwidth throttling only hits P2P traffic for the hours it is in operation. Everything else remains at full speed.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

tiredofwhiners

Postby tiredofwhiners » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:19 pm

Daz555 wrote:The bandwidth throttling only hits P2P traffic for the hours it is in operation. Everything else remains at full speed.

Presumably though if you add together all the 'throttled' connections, that can still add up, and nothing is ever full speed as the networks is still shared with others. Admittedly, sharing web browsing traffic isn't normally a lot but I guess that this will also include iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Netflix, yadda yadda yadda.....

Do Virgin still use an ethernet i.e. shared collision based architecture but with a fibre front end ?

dynamicbrick

Postby dynamicbrick » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:36 pm

tiredofwhiners wrote:
Daz555 wrote:The bandwidth throttling only hits P2P traffic for the hours it is in operation. Everything else remains at full speed.

Presumably though if you add together all the 'throttled' connections, that can still add up, and nothing is ever full speed as the networks is still shared with others. Admittedly, sharing web browsing traffic isn't normally a lot but I guess that this will also include iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Netflix, yadda yadda yadda.....

Do Virgin still use an ethernet i.e. shared collision based architecture but with a fibre front end ?

Depends which bit;
old ntl bit - Coax2Home - Fibre2Cab - Ethernet Metropolitan Ring - xWDM core.
old Telewest bit - conductive wiring - wet string 2 cab - Frame Relay with sticky tape and Copydex metro - apple core.

Return to “The Cake Stop”