Are carbon bikes really any good?

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
patbriggsmbr

Re: Are carbon bikes really any good?

Postby patbriggsmbr » Sun Jul 08, 2012 16:23 pm

Can I say it was a machanic who spotted the rub. When I took the bike back to the shop they contacted focus who apologised and then replaced the forks. It was a faulty batch, which showed the clearance between tyre and fork was lets say you couldnt get a pin between them. The new fork they have put on have now got 5mil clearance. The reason I bought another carbon is because it's cheaper than steel, furthermore if you a look at the reason why carbon can fail with water is because if there's a chip were by the paint has been removed or rubbed away the carbon weave can absorb water and fracture and fail, Fact.

philthy3

Postby philthy3 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 20:24 pm

Mine's got a fair few chips in the paint and been caught in a fair few heavy rainfalls but hasn't absorbed water. Paint does nothing to the protective or strength qualities; take a look at motorcycles and cars that have a flat carbon finish to show it off.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

Jez mon

Postby Jez mon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 09:35 am

patbriggsmbr wrote:Can I say it was a machanic who spotted the rub. When I took the bike back to the shop they contacted focus who apologised and then replaced the forks. It was a faulty batch, which showed the clearance between tyre and fork was lets say you couldnt get a pin between them. The new fork they have put on have now got 5mil clearance. The reason I bought another carbon is because it's cheaper than steel, furthermore if you a look at the reason why carbon can fail with water is because if there's a chip were by the paint has been removed or rubbed away the carbon weave can absorb water and fracture and fail, Fact.

Nothing similar happens with steel. Fact.

Or not
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

Hoopdriver

Postby Hoopdriver » Mon Jul 09, 2012 09:50 am

Jez mon wrote:
patbriggsmbr wrote:Can I say it was a machanic who spotted the rub. When I took the bike back to the shop they contacted focus who apologised and then replaced the forks. It was a faulty batch, which showed the clearance between tyre and fork was lets say you couldnt get a pin between them. The new fork they have put on have now got 5mil clearance. The reason I bought another carbon is because it's cheaper than steel, furthermore if you a look at the reason why carbon can fail with water is because if there's a chip were by the paint has been removed or rubbed away the carbon weave can absorb water and fracture and fail, Fact.

Or not

Actually no, nothing like that does happen with steel - assuming that you are making some oblique reference to rust and corrosion; it's a different route to ruination entirely. Fact

fast as fupp

Postby fast as fupp » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:59 am

loving all these FACTS- feel like im really learning something.

thanks!
'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:15 am

Wow, an incredible array of forum-bollox on display here...must remember not to leave my bike out in the rain. All those folks who use boats made from carbon fibe must be bricking themselves everytime they get on the water ;-)

BTW - latest frame just arrived, a lovely Ritchey P29er in steel! That's makes it 2x steel, 2x carbon and 2x titanium in my collection!
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Hoopdriver

Postby Hoopdriver » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 am

Hoopdriver wrote:
Jez mon wrote:

Or not

Actually no, nothing like that does happen with steel - assuming that you are making some oblique reference to rust and corrosion; it's a different route to ruination entirely. Fact

Let me add here that I claim no knowledge of what, if anything, water does to a carbon frame, and frankly I couldn't care less - I just weary of the useless idle chatter about steel rusting away, vanishing like toilet paper in the rain, and was pointing out that whatever the process of corrosion on a steel frame it is considerably different than that being proposed and described for carbon.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:32 pm

:lol:

memsley89

Postby memsley89 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Surely if there was any doubt about the longevity of carbon,
manufacturers wouldn't offer a lifetime warranty on frames and rigid forks?
Racing the 2016 season with Team ASL360
............... Big thanks to our sponsors ...............
............... Kinesis UK Reflex Nutrition ..............

colsoop

Postby colsoop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 15:29 pm

patbriggsmbr wrote:I'm now on my 3rd carbon frame and it's getting a little expensive and annoying.

3rd carbon frame! Road bike frames ?

How have these frames broken and how or who assessed them as being broken

There is something wrong if you have managed to go through 3 frames. Are you on the larger side, build wise ?

cougie

Postby cougie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 15:48 pm

You can get Stainless steel frames - but they're over a grand.
You can get CF frames for less than half that.

Steel and CF are both good for bikes - it depends what you want from the bike.

The carbon and water thing must be bollox though.

Jez mon

Postby Jez mon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 16:34 pm

Hoopdriver wrote:Actually no, nothing like that does happen with steel - assuming that you are making some oblique reference to rust and corrosion; it's a different route to ruination entirely. Fact

Let me add here that I claim no knowledge of what, if anything, water does to a carbon frame, and frankly I couldn't care less - I just weary of the useless idle chatter about steel rusting away, vanishing like toilet paper in the rain, and was pointing out that whatever the process of corrosion on a steel frame it is considerably different than that being proposed and described for carbon.

I realise that the underlying corrosion process for composite and steel would be rather different. My point was, when you get a break in the corrosion protection system on steel and water gets in, you're gonna have a bad time (potentially).
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

philthy3

Postby philthy3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 06:15 am

Yep all that wasted money eh? Pray they never take these things out in the rain or near water.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

Jehannum

Postby Jehannum » Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:43 pm

philthy3 wrote:Image

Looks like his surfboard has cracked in half.

:mrgreen:
Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!

Dubdemand

Postby Dubdemand » Tue Jul 10, 2012 14:59 pm

Must have got it wet!

Return to “The Cake Stop”