L.A. Stripped

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
daviesee

L.A. Stripped

Postby daviesee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 05:10 am

Yup. Stripped of all his titles.

Wonder how this will play out over the weekend!
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

zippypablo

Re: L.A. Stripped

Postby zippypablo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 05:38 am

If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).

Hoopdriver

Postby Hoopdriver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 05:53 am

It'll do the boy good

CambsNewbie

Postby CambsNewbie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 06:09 am

Hasn't this been inevitable for the last few years now? Been too much smoke for years now to have been no flame..

Shame. Who is going to contribute to his charity now knowing the myth has been built on lies and doping?

BelgianBeerGeek

Postby BelgianBeerGeek » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:01 am

'Cos there will still be people who think that his cancer comeback was amazing and inspirational. Which, to be fair, it was.

Those people will gloss over the drugs cheating aspect. Which is more important, the clean-cut sportsman, or the inspirational motivator? Plus, he's done so much for charity, so he can't be a bad man, right?

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:10 am

Tygart said. "It's a heartbreaking example of win at all costs".

Yes - seems like USADA are trying to win at all costs.

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:10 am

To be fair, I don't think that he has taken performance enhancing drugs, which is why he never tested positive.

On the other hand, search the internet for the following subjects and draw your own conclusions.

Gene Therapy + Cancer
Gene Therapy + Athletes
Gene Therapy + Lance Armstrong
Gene Therapy + Livestrong
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:14 am

Is The Sun printing the photos?
I Like Black Bikes

Raymondo60

Postby Raymondo60 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:22 am

May as well strip every previous T de F winner (except Wiggo!), ever winner of the Giro, Vuelta, One-Day Classic, Paris-Nice, the whole lot - just rewrite the history books and start again. Just finished reading both David Millar's and Laurent Fignon's books - everyone was at it.
Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"

estampida

Postby estampida » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:24 am

he used his charity to keep folk quiet

where will the money come from now??

cos he seems the greedy sort.......

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:36 am

Interesting. Whatever your opinion of Armstrong, you can't deny that this has been a witch hunt, the USADA is out of order in it's conduct and has acted out of accordance with it's own rules, and the USADA doesn't have the authority to strip titles.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty ?

Here's Armstrong's statement:
http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstongs-statement-of-august-23-2012
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

pauldavid

Postby pauldavid » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:47 am

MattC59 wrote:Interesting. Whatever your opinion of Armstrong, you can't deny that this has been a witch hunt, the USADA is out of order in it's conduct and has acted out of accordance with it's own rules, and the USADA doesn't have the authority to strip titles.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty ?

Here's Armstrong's statement:
http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstongs-statement-of-august-23-2012

Have the USADA ever actually made any evidence public, how can we be sure that Tygert wasn't just bullied by Armstrong at school and is trying to get his own back.

ITV news have just reported that he has been stripped of all 7 tour wins but as Matt says surely USADA don't have the authority?

I say provide evidence that he doped once and for all publicly or leave the man alone.

Alain Quay

Postby Alain Quay » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:50 am

Lots of informed debate on the issue going on in Australia right now:

TommyEss

Postby TommyEss » Fri Aug 24, 2012 07:55 am

Friend of a Friend on Facebook
Lance Armstrong to be stripped of his 7 tour de France titles!!!!!!

This guy has passed all drug tests for years and the United States Anti Doping Agency still think he cheated.

What the fark have they taken!!!!

Grow up and leave the greatest cyclist of all time alone!!!!

I think the last sentence gives away how long he's been following cycling, but I think the 3 lines above sum it up pretty well.

I'm not sure what it achieves really - I wanted so very hard to believe in Armstrong, and I guess the more you read around the area the picture paints itself.

On to the "Is he still a nice guy...?" type of question - well my nextdoor neighbour works at Nike; she's recently been diagnosed with lymphoma. The guys at Nike in Europe and the US put together a really nice video short with lots of people they found around the offices wishing her well. Lots of staff, and a number of well known athletes (Mo Farah, Rafa Nadal, Carl Lewis) - and yes, towards the end, Mr Lance Armstrong filming from his parked car. It's part of a very moving message for a young woman fighting something pretty nasty - and that side of things I don't think you can take away from.

I also don't think he'd be able to do that without the platform of the TdF though - so a good few shades of grey I reckon.
Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 08:23 am

Tygart said UCI was "bound to recognize our decision and impose it" as a signer of the World Anti-Doping Code.
"They have no choice but to strip the titles under the code," he said.

Surely admission that the USADA doesn't have the authority to strip the titles.

organizations such as UCI and USA Cycling have made clear, USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges.

So if that's the case, how can the UCI agree and strip the titles ?
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.

Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 08:50 am

pauldavid wrote:
Have the USADA ever actually made any evidence public, how can we be sure that Tygert wasn't just bullied by Armstrong at school and is trying to get his own back.

ITV news have just reported that he has been stripped of all 7 tour wins but as Matt says surely USADA don't have the authority?

I say provide evidence that he doped once and for all publicly or leave the man alone.

Top trolling
I Like Black Bikes

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 08:53 am

MattC59 wrote:Interesting. Whatever your opinion of Armstrong, you can't deny that this has been a witch hunt, the USADA is out of order in it's conduct and has acted out of accordance with it's own rules, and the USADA doesn't have the authority to strip titles.

What have you been smoking?

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 08:54 am

pauldavid wrote:

It would have been had Armstrong contested it.

Blacktemplar

Postby Blacktemplar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 09:09 am

I don't think he's officially been stripped of anything as yet. Most of the news wires are running with "USADA strips Armstrong of 7 tour wins" type headlines. As far as I can see the UCI have made no comment as yet.

I'm not a fanboy and I don't condone doping in sport, but this just reeks of self-righteous witch hunt. It certainly won't harm sales of Floyd Landis' book either.

At a time when we should be celebrating success stories in cycling, once again doping dominates the headlines. And as someone has already said, where's the evidence? Armstrong never failed a doping test, so the evidence is at best circumstantial - doesn't it have to be 'beyond reasonable doubt' to stick?
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 09:42 am

Blacktemplar wrote:I don't think he's officially been stripped of anything as yet. Most of the news wires are running with "USADA strips Armstrong of 7 tour wins" type headlines. As far as I can see the UCI have made no comment as yet.

I'm not a fanboy and I don't condone doping in sport, but this just reeks of self-righteous witch hunt. It certainly won't harm sales of Floyd Landis' book either.

At a time when we should be celebrating success stories in cycling, once again doping dominates the headlines. And as someone has already said, where's the evidence? Armstrong never failed a doping test, so the evidence is at best circumstantial - doesn't it have to be 'beyond reasonable doubt' to stick?

Anti-doping authority says "We have enough evidence that we want to ban you. Either you contest it, which we're happy for you to do, or you take the ban"

He took the ban.

The evidence will come out in time. For sure.

Return to “The Cake Stop”