Watch Enthusiasts - Rolex Daytona

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
carrock

Re: Watch Enthusiasts - Rolex Daytona

Postby carrock » Thu Oct 04, 2012 17:57 pm

I have a breitling super ocean which I bought at 20 per cent discount in 2008. Cost me £2100 then.

Now the same watch is 3 grand and if I sell mine I get my money back. It still looks like new and I wear it every day, but polish it with cape cod cloths to keep it shiny. A good watch will upgrade every outfit, although I appreciate its not for everybody. by the same token, riding a bike better than a £800 carreras might be construed as a pretentious waste of money by some.....

paultheparaglider

Postby paultheparaglider » Fri Oct 05, 2012 08:25 am

BowtomePhil wrote:Surely if you can't see or hear the workings, how is that the beauty of a watch?

You could get one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-CHRONOSW ... vi-content

I own one. It is a work of art. Nothing like as tough as a Rolex, though.

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Fri Oct 05, 2012 15:01 pm

carrock wrote:I have a breitling super ocean which I bought at 20 per cent discount in 2008. Cost me £2100 then.

Doesn't that Breitling have a battery?

philthy3 wrote:The beauty of a quality watch is the workings. The casing is secondary although the materiel is a consideration. A battery operated watch isn't a quality watch even if the casing is made out of 24kt gold. It's scrap value is it's only worth.

Scrap value? About £30 (including £20 for the battery).
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

carrock

Postby carrock » Fri Oct 05, 2012 16:58 pm

Doesn't that Breitling have a battery?quote

Err no. Hence the automatic bit

It works off kinetic energy and as such rarely needs winding.

And there is, and always will be for the forseeable future, a steady stream of people who want to buy good used quality watches with box, papers, etc.

So it is, effectively, cost neutral for me.

Can't abide these people who have them and only save them for best. I wear mine everyday at work, in the gym, riding the bike, and only take it off when I am grubbing about in a car engine bay or whatever.

philthy3

Postby philthy3 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:43 pm

He's on a wind up (did you see what I did there) and just doesn't have our enthusiasm for quality watches.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

carrock

Postby carrock » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:52 pm

philthy3 wrote:He's on a wind up (did you see what I did there) and just doesn't have our enthusiasm for quality watches.

Ah. To be honest I thought it was a genuine question as some breitlings at the lower end do have quartz movement with batteries and look similar to the untrained eye.

One slightly alarming thing is that my bike and watch together are worth about 6 grand, and I would be a bit nervous about wandering about carrying that much in cash....

philthy3

Postby philthy3 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:09 pm

Similar here though I don't wear a watch of any description on a ride.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

Monkeypump

Postby Monkeypump » Sun Oct 07, 2012 16:51 pm

Beancounter - back to the original question!

Had a word with a local Rolex dealer and he shed some light on the situation. His main advice was (if you want new) to stay outside London and work with local dealers. Also, go against common wisdom and carpet bomb - hit as many as you can and get your name on the list. You WILL have to wait, but he said that personally he doesn't care who buys his stock and is ruthless with waiting lists. If he gets no response after a couple of attempts, he moves down the list. He showed me his Daytona list and it had about 10 names on it. He gets about 3 s/s pieces a year, so do the math.

He also told me about the Daytonabase that Rolex introduced a while back. Apparently they log all purchaser info, and frequent buyers or 'good customers' do get bumped up the list. All Rolex dealers are part of it, and some less open about it than others. However, if you're a serious buyer he'll put you on the database. There seems to be a vetting process which happens a couple of months before you get to the top of the list to see if you're the 'right' sort of buyer.

He also advised going down the second hand route, although I know you're not keen.

I don't have his card with me at the moment, but I'll PM you his details if you want to get in touch.

beancounter

Postby beancounter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 07:18 am

Monkeypump wrote:Beancounter - back to the original question!

At last...... :roll:

Many thanks for all your input Monkeypump. Tbh as much as I want the Daytona I'm thoroughly hacked off with Rolex ("right kind of person" ffs!).

I have one chance of buying new from an AD this side of christmas but if that (more than likely) doesn't happen I'll be going s/hand.

Cheers

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

BowtomePhil

Postby BowtomePhil » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:07 am

carrock wrote:I have a breitling super ocean which I bought at 20 per cent discount in 2008. Cost me £2100 then.

Now the same watch is 3 grand and if I sell mine I get my money back. It still looks like new and I wear it every day, but polish it with cape cod cloths to keep it shiny. A good watch will upgrade every outfit, although I appreciate its not for everybody. by the same token, riding a bike better than a £800 carreras might be construed as a pretentious waste of money by some.....

Thats a good looking watch(IMHO)

maddog 2

Postby maddog 2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 15:40 pm

this thread is funny. People justifying why they spend thousands on a watch. I have theory....
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Monkeypump

Postby Monkeypump » Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:58 pm

beancounter wrote:
Monkeypump wrote:Beancounter - back to the original question!

At last...... :roll:

Many thanks for all your input Monkeypump. Tbh as much as I want the Daytona I'm thoroughly hacked off with Rolex ("right kind of person" ffs!).

I have one chance of buying new from an AD this side of christmas but if that (more than likely) doesn't happen I'll be going s/hand.

Cheers

bc

No worries - I'm amazed the fuss around them is still as strong as it was years ago. And your opinion of Rolex hits the nail on the head!

Good luck! (And make your next one a Submariner or Deep Sea :wink: )

Iamnot Wiggins

Postby Iamnot Wiggins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 20:59 pm

A vintage 1950's Daytone with the white face & leather strap is the way forward. You'll need about 4 or 5 times your budget though so maybe it's not for you. This time!

Jaeger LeCoultre make fantastic watches, nice & weighty if that's your thing and you can generally pick them up new for the budget you've got.

Zenith are also very nice as are Baume & Mercier. Hublot also make fantastic watches as do Audmars as somebody already mentioned.

carrock

Postby carrock » Mon Oct 08, 2012 22:44 pm

maddog 2 wrote:this thread is funny. People justifying why they spend thousands on a watch. I have theory....

Apparently there is a similar thread on the watch forums discussing why lots of affluent middle aged men spent 5000 on a carbon road bike

BowtomePhil

Postby BowtomePhil » Tue Oct 09, 2012 07:22 am

I went to a Ferrari track day once to take my 8 year old who loves them. Basically owners pay to go around a race track. I would say 95% of the drivers were over 50.

My point?

Once you get to 50 ish, you have more spare money, maybe your mortgage is paid off, you have no debts you have spare money. Me for example (48), no mortgage in 3 years time, I have everything I need(not everything I want). But I also realise that health is more important than anything. My philosophy is spend money now and enjoy life. There is a statistic, that 90% of people who retire at 65 die before they are 70. So as I say to my wife, why scrimp and save now for a retirement that may not last long. (last week somebody I know was given 6 weeks to live due to cancer, he lasted 10 days)

Life is too short, if you want to spend 7k on a watch and can afford it, just do it, don't not and regret it later.

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Tue Oct 09, 2012 08:58 am

BowtomePhil wrote: There is a statistic, that 90% of people who retire at 65 die before they are 70. .

A completely made up one !
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

BowtomePhil

Postby BowtomePhil » Tue Oct 09, 2012 09:20 am

Tom Butcher wrote:
BowtomePhil wrote: There is a statistic, that 90% of people who retire at 65 die before they are 70. .

A completely made up one !

Maybe, but I didn't make it up : )

Giraffoto

Postby Giraffoto » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:27 am

I don't "get" expensive watches at all - as evidence of which, I think £100 is expensive for one - but it's startling to see how many people do. It's like suddenly finding a secret society. . .
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

BowtomePhil

Postby BowtomePhil » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 am

Giraffoto wrote:I don't "get" expensive watches at all - as evidence of which, I think £100 is expensive for one - but it's startling to see how many people do. It's like suddenly finding a secret society. . .

I think smoking is expensive, say if you smoke 20 a day at £7 a packet, that is over £2000 a year spent trying to kill yourself. I would rather buy a watch for £2000 than slowly kill myself.

fast as fupp

Postby fast as fupp » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:51 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320960010012? ... 1497.l2649

i got one of these, can i be in your gang? :D
'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'

Return to “The Cake Stop”