Doctors waiting room.

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
DrKJM
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:10 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby DrKJM » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:53 pm

Dear god but some people on here are bloody intolerant b******s. Some people that use mobility scooters MIGHT be able to get around without them. Some people are lazy. But not all. And if someone would like to tell me to my face that my mother, who used one to visit chester zoo when she was waiting for an op on her spine, was swinging the lead then I'd be only too happy to point out the error of their ways.

Edit: Bowdlerised because i thought the forum would do it automatically and it left swearing in.
Last edited by DrKJM on Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby tiredofwhiners » Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:10 pm

DrKJM wrote:Dear god but some people on here are bloody intolerant bastards. Some people that use mobility scooters MIGHT be able to get around without them. Some people are lazy. But not all. And if someone would like to tell me to my face that my mother, who used one to visit chester zoo when she was waiting for an op on her spine, was swinging the lead then I'd be only too happy to point out the error of their ways.


And one persons experience (yours) doesn't make a trend. I can point out a massively fat lady whose vehicle has large chunky tyres to cope with her weight, loading up with pizzas and chips at the local supermarket every Thursday. Does that make me wrong because your mother used one once ? No. It makes you hopelessly naive as you cannot explain why 300,000 people use them now but only 70,000 of them used them five year ago does it ?

I say MOST don't need them. Prove me wrong and stop being an intolerant bastard towards the fat and lazy :)

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby tiredofwhiners » Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:14 pm

Pross wrote:You don't think that being disabled and therefore being limited in the amount of exercise you can do might assist in creating weight gain then?


No, because unless your disability creates some strange side effect which forces you to exceed your calorie intake over expenditure, there is no absolute reason why people should put on weight. It does not automatically follow that people who need the scooters MUST continue to gorge themselves on too many calories does it ? Peopl get fat because they eat too many calories - not because they are disabled or mobility restricted.

Why is it you don't see the scooters blocking up the fresh fruit aisles and only appear in the pizza, ice cream and frozen chips area ?

DrKJM
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:10 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby DrKJM » Wed Oct 10, 2012 17:15 pm

tiredofwhiners wrote:
DrKJM wrote:Dear god but some people on here are bloody intolerant bastards. Some people that use mobility scooters MIGHT be able to get around without them. Some people are lazy. But not all. And if someone would like to tell me to my face that my mother, who used one to visit chester zoo when she was waiting for an op on her spine, was swinging the lead then I'd be only too happy to point out the error of their ways.


And one persons experience (yours) doesn't make a trend. I can point out a massively fat lady whose vehicle has large chunky tyres to cope with her weight, loading up with pizzas and chips at the local supermarket every Thursday. Does that make me wrong because your mother used one once ? No. It makes you hopelessly naive as you cannot explain why 300,000 people use them now but only 70,000 of them used them five year ago does it ?

I say MOST don't need them. Prove me wrong and stop being an intolerant bastard towards the fat and lazy :)


Indeed, my experiences don't make a trend. But you do realise your observation perfectly demolishes your own generalisations, right?

plowmar
Posts: 891
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 17:10 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby plowmar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 18:13 pm

Sorry Pross, but you must know that if calories in exceed calories out e.g. exercise or just living then you put on weight. And you don't just put on an extra few stones it does take time (and dedication?) so any one overweight in a scooter either was overweight before or have eat their way to it after getting the scooter. So if no disability reason completely self inflicted. Suggest gastric bands or tapes over mouths.

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby tiredofwhiners » Wed Oct 10, 2012 18:38 pm

DrKJM wrote:
tiredofwhiners wrote:
DrKJM wrote:Dear god but some people on here are bloody intolerant bastards. Some people that use mobility scooters MIGHT be able to get around without them. Some people are lazy. But not all. And if someone would like to tell me to my face that my mother, who used one to visit chester zoo when she was waiting for an op on her spine, was swinging the lead then I'd be only too happy to point out the error of their ways.


And one persons experience (yours) doesn't make a trend. I can point out a massively fat lady whose vehicle has large chunky tyres to cope with her weight, loading up with pizzas and chips at the local supermarket every Thursday. Does that make me wrong because your mother used one once ? No. It makes you hopelessly naive as you cannot explain why 300,000 people use them now but only 70,000 of them used them five year ago does it ?

I say MOST don't need them. Prove me wrong and stop being an intolerant bastard towards the fat and lazy :)


Indeed, my experiences don't make a trend. But you do realise your observation perfectly demolishes your own generalisations, right?


Not at all.

You seem to try to deny the existence of people who are fat, and don't have a medical reason. All I am doing is pointing out that this position is untenable. A lot of people are fat and don't have medical conditions - these shouldn't be allowed mobility scooters. You want to give the benefit of the doubt - most of us don't.

Seriously, next time you see a mobility scooter shopper in the supermarket, have a look in their shopping trolley. You won't find anything low calories in there - it'll be high calorie crap in almost every one you look in. Then come back and tell me to give them the benefit of the doubt if you can keep a straight face.

DrKJM
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:10 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby DrKJM » Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:41 pm

tiredofwhiners wrote:
Not at all.

You seem to try to deny the existence of people who are fat, and don't have a medical reason. All I am doing is pointing out that this position is untenable. A lot of people are fat and don't have medical conditions - these shouldn't be allowed mobility scooters. You want to give the benefit of the doubt - most of us don't.

Seriously, next time you see a mobility scooter shopper in the supermarket, have a look in their shopping trolley. You won't find anything low calories in there - it'll be high calorie crap in almost every one you look in. Then come back and tell me to give them the benefit of the doubt if you can keep a straight face.


The only thing I challenge is your ability to make a medical diagnosis based upon a cursory glance and a mass of prejudices. Of course some overweight people are victims of their own behaviour. But the thrust of your argument was much more sweeping than that, and based on data from the Daily Mail for god's sake.

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby tiredofwhiners » Wed Oct 10, 2012 20:50 pm

DrKJM wrote:The only thing I challenge is your ability to make a medical diagnosis based upon a cursory glance and a mass of prejudices.


No, I look in their shopping trolleys and invariably find a fat person motor-trolleying around a trolley full of stuff that makes a thin person fat. Being fat isn't a medical condition - its consequence of calories out and calories in.

I can recognise a fat person in a motability scooter at a fair distance and it doesn't take a medical degree to know they are fat and need to lose weight. Why do you have this obsession with trying to avoid having fat people responsible for being fat ?

As a doctor do you regularly prescribe a diet of cake, doughnuts and pizza thereby giving then an excuse ? If people are fat, its because they eat more than their energy consumption requires. If they are immobile, then they need less calories - not a trolley to collect more pizza than they could carry on their own two feet. Thats not a medical condition requiring a qualification to work out - a two year old can do the sums.

I had 19 weeks with a leg immobilised in plaster, raised in the air, and lost a lot of weight. I didn't feel the need for a mobility scooter or pizza.

DrKJM
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 18:10 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby DrKJM » Wed Oct 10, 2012 21:18 pm

tiredofwhiners wrote:
As a doctor



Not that sort of doctor. But someone who likes to think of individuals rather than jumping to conclusions. I don't for example think you are a red light jumping, road tax evading tosser just because you ride a bike. You might be. But I have no way of telling. You seem to assume that all overweight people would do better if only they lived like you. I try to recognise that there may be other issues I don't know about without asking. That's all.

Wouldn't the world be nicer if we all got off our high horses about 'them'. Car drivers vs cyclists. Fit people vs fat people. Unfit people vs those gits who cost the nhs with all their damn unnecessary sports injuries. You get the picture

User avatar
daviesee
Posts: 6445
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 18:37 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby daviesee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:28 pm

So many people missing the original point................
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby tiredofwhiners » Thu Oct 11, 2012 08:30 am

DrKJM wrote:You seem to assume that all overweight people would do better if only they lived like you. I try to recognise that there may be other issues I don't know about without asking. That's all.


I just happen to think that a fat person is better off getting the exercise walking and only being able to carry enough pizza and chips that they can actually lift themselves, rather than using a motorised vehicle to allow them to move even more food into the kitchen cupboards.

You assume that every fat person you see has a valid medical reason for their state. Most of us know that position is ridiculous. Has it occurred to you that the increase in the number of ridiculously fat people is because they are given motorised assistance to reach the ice cream and chips, rather than being limited by how far they can waddle ?

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Thu Oct 11, 2012 09:10 am

Its funny how people see the chair and not the person - anyway you never know, one day it might be you.

Last year I was out on a ride and saw a guy in a motorised scooter having problems at a junction - so I got off the bike and offered to help - haha he asked for a push to his house - so I obliged thinking he was going to push too - but no he got back on so he could steer it.

Anyway about 400 metres later - after navigating a muddy farmers field in cleats- and me worrying about my bike - we arrived at his run down farm house- he thanked me and offered to pay - but with a cheery wave I was off.

I learned later that the poor guy had had a stroke a year earlier - leaving him unable to walk any distance - and he was a millionaire who was building up the farmhouse for his daughter as he has to move to more adequate accomodation.

So if you're reading this Brian the Millionaire - the helper was me - and if you want to remember me in your will feel free. :D
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 15204
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby Pross » Thu Oct 11, 2012 14:26 pm

plowmar wrote:Sorry Pross, but you must know that if calories in exceed calories out e.g. exercise or just living then you put on weight. And you don't just put on an extra few stones it does take time (and dedication?) so any one overweight in a scooter either was overweight before or have eat their way to it after getting the scooter. So if no disability reason completely self inflicted. Suggest gastric bands or tapes over mouths.


I didn't say being disabled makes you fat (or that all people who use scooters are disabled) and understand only too well that eating more than you burn makes you put on weight. However, the implication of some posts on here is that if you see a fat person in a mobility scooter they are only using it because they are fat and lazy whereas it is possible that they have always been disabled but happen to me overweight as well. Yes, they are eating more than they consume but the calorie intake for someone unable to exercise would need to be extremely low.

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 15204
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby Pross » Thu Oct 11, 2012 14:34 pm

tiredofwhiners wrote:
DrKJM wrote:The only thing I challenge is your ability to make a medical diagnosis based upon a cursory glance and a mass of prejudices.


No, I look in their shopping trolleys and invariably find a fat person motor-trolleying around a trolley full of stuff that makes a thin person fat. Being fat isn't a medical condition - its consequence of calories out and calories in.

I can recognise a fat person in a motability scooter at a fair distance and it doesn't take a medical degree to know they are fat and need to lose weight. Why do you have this obsession with trying to avoid having fat people responsible for being fat ?

As a doctor do you regularly prescribe a diet of cake, doughnuts and pizza thereby giving then an excuse ? If people are fat, its because they eat more than their energy consumption requires. If they are immobile, then they need less calories - not a trolley to collect more pizza than they could carry on their own two feet. Thats not a medical condition requiring a qualification to work out - a two year old can do the sums.

I had 19 weeks with a leg immobilised in plaster, raised in the air, and lost a lot of weight. I didn't feel the need for a mobility scooter or pizza.


Why do you think that just because they are fat they don't also have a medical condition that prevents them being able to walk? You are making a judgement that they are in the scooter because they are fat, maybe they are disabled and as a result suffer from depression which in turn leads them to eat 'comfort' food which due to their inactivity makes them fatter. Have you ever questionned them as to why they feel the need to use the scooter or just jumped to the conclusion that, because they are overweight they are therefore lazy and just avoiding walking? At least the situation the OP raised is based on objective examination of medical records and not prejudice.

ademort
Posts: 1614
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 19:24 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby ademort » Thu Oct 11, 2012 17:22 pm

Can,t say it happens at our surgery as it,s a room about 8m x4m with a table in the middle so no room for the scootmobiles. However i have noticed in our supermarkets the amount of people who drive round in these things and suddenly when they need something from the top shelf they spring out of there seat grab the item and spring back into there seat in a flash. I often wonder what is actually wrong with these people that warrants the use of a scootmobile. They are a great cure for lazyitess i believe.
Ademort

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Doctors waiting room.

Postby tiredofwhiners » Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:09 pm

Pross wrote:You are making a judgement that they are in the scooter because they are fat, maybe they are disabled and as a result suffer from depression which in turn leads them to eat 'comfort' food which due to their inactivity makes them fatter.


Yes, because as I have said earlier, not everyone who is ill automatically gets fat. just because you're ill, doesn;t give you an automatic right to be fat and for it to be okay.

Pross wrote:Have you ever questionned them as to why they feel the need to use the scooter or just jumped to the conclusion that, because they are overweight they are therefore lazy and just avoiding walking?


Per my earlier response, I look in the shopping trolley at the piles of high calories foods designed to make you fat and draw a sensible conclusion. You make the naive assumption that everyone in a scooter has a valid medical reason.

Pross wrote:At least the situation the OP raised is based on objective examination of medical records and not prejudice.


Sometimes the objective data is right in front of you. As the doctors seem to have concluded that "these machines are rarely used by those that would have a legitimate reason but more likely the terminally lazy who's only aspiration is to be terminally obese" then its an entirely reasonable assumption for others to follow their guidance wouldn't you agree ?

You explain why there has been a five fold increase in the use of them, with no corresponding increase in illness rates ?


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest