Not young

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
ManOfKent

Re: Not young

Postby ManOfKent » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 pm

y33stu wrote:I think I'm too young for radio 2. So what do us 30 somethings listen to in the office?

+1 for 6Music (although I rarely listen to the radio). It has enough variety and novelty to challenge my hardened view that 1989 was the peak of musical creativity in the entire world, without imposing an endless diet of One Direction, Nicky Minge and the like.

An alternative is to adopt Dara O'Briain's stated position, which is that there is enough music out there that you already love, so why bother looking for more?

dynamicbrick

Postby dynamicbrick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm on the road a lot, and can confirm that Radio 4 is what all the skill kids listen to. Even, I'll admit, Woman's Hour isn't too bad depending on the subject.

Jesus, listen to me... I used to kick about with the Prodigy in the early 90s (a mate was mates with Keith Flint) and here I am admitting that I don't immediately turn off when Woman's Hour comes on the wireless.

I give up.

pb21

Postby pb21 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 13:26 pm

CiB wrote:You're not. Radio 2 is for everyone these days

IMO only for people who like banal, vacuous, trivial dirge, presented by overly jovial shallow jocks. I cant stand it!

CiB

Postby CiB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 13:47 pm

pb21 wrote:

IMO only for people who like banal, vacuous, trivial dirge, presented by overly jovial shallow jocks. I cant stand it!

:)

I don't listen to it, except for first thing when we have to get up and Simon Mayo doing his confession when I'm going home. R4 is my default thanks. Point was that R2 isn't aimed at pensioners & war veterans any more.

Carry on.

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Thu Nov 29, 2012 13:52 pm

I like Radio 2. Took me a few years of 'closet' listening before I was happy to admit it in company :oops: Still can't really tolerate Steve Wright for any length of time though.
I'm 45 and remember turning 40 and having a few beers with my mate who is, crucially, two weeks older than me. We decided collectively that with age comes wisdom and a realisation that, within reason, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone or anything. Your outlook and opinion is based on your life experience and that is all you need. It's one of the reasons I loathe newspapers, I don't need someone else forcing their opinion down my throat. If I need to know about something then I will find out in the fullness of time, in my own terms.
Anyone else notice a trend developing here? We start off responding to a post and then ramble off into a rant.
Now, where did I put my Werther's originals?
Ribble Gran Fondo
Bianchi Impulso
Specialized Allez

“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells
Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

mitchell_inman

Postby mitchell_inman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 14:04 pm

Thought I'd better post again while I can still see - optician has recommended varifocals, and this unquestionably trivial thing has made me feel really old.

I've got grey hair - I'm fatter and less fit than I was - all of which I can cope with and try and do something about (not the grey hair - no grecian 2000 for me).

But glasses for reading FFS :shock: :shock:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

pb21

Postby pb21 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 14:11 pm

Crescent wrote:It's one of the reasons I loathe newspapers, I don't need someone else forcing their opinion down my throat.

I never get this argument against newspapers, that you don’t need someone else's opinion forced down your throat. If you read something you don’t have to accept it as gospel. I have, heaven forbid, read the Daily Mail before, it didn’t turn me into a rabid racist sexist homophobe. In fact, if anything, it allowed me to come up with my own opinions and justifications why that kind of thinking and viewpoint is not what I agree with. Being more left wing orientated I normally read the Grauniad but I don’t read it and assume whatever it says is correct. Also I have read parts of the bible before, from a position of someone who doesn’t believe in a Christian God, and it didn’t turn me into a born again Christian.

As long as what ever you read or see you take in critical manner and you are able to think for yourself in a independent way, reading and listening to people’s opinions, both those you agree with and those you don’t is good thing.

grizedaleforest

Postby grizedaleforest » Thu Nov 29, 2012 15:04 pm

I'm 53. The way I look at it, I should make it to 80 or so (what with all that healthy cycling). But I don't remember anything much about being a child so I reckon that life begins when you're 18 or so => my relative age is 35. I then can't remember a fair chunk of time in my twenties for one reason or another (I forget) - say 5 years => relative age is down to 30. I therefore believe I am still relatively young and won't worry until I am, relatively, 50.

kieranb

Postby kieranb » Thu Nov 29, 2012 15:39 pm

42 now, I don't feel too old as I have maintained my weight since late teens and am fitter than I was in my 20's. Gone a bit thin on top but this started in late teens so I don't associate it with old age. My wife and I still sometimes look at each other in shock when we once again realise we now have 2 children in secondary school. Aging has its

We recently went to visit some relatives of my wife, one of them was turning 82 and was still as sharp as ever and pretty active, so I don't worry too much. My Dad is also nearly 80 and still drives, swims, walks and lives by himself.

seanoconn

Postby seanoconn » Thu Nov 29, 2012 15:40 pm

I started to feel old the moment Phil Neville made his England debut. I was no longer younger than anyone in the England football team :( Watching entire football careers from start to finish also makes me feel old. I'm 37 next month and while still being attractive, :wink: I'm wondering when pretty young girls (not too young) will say **** off you old pervert. That will HURT!!

My laughter lines don't disappear when I'm not laughing anymore :(
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

pauldavid

Postby pauldavid » Thu Nov 29, 2012 15:49 pm

pb21 wrote:

Oooooooooooooooooooh! Get Grumpy over there.

That's told me, I don't mind radio 2 but that's just banal, vacuous, trivial old me :(

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Thu Nov 29, 2012 16:33 pm

405 lines, that is all HD for baby boomers

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Thu Nov 29, 2012 18:45 pm

delete
Last edited by Crescent on Thu Nov 29, 2012 18:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ribble Gran Fondo
Bianchi Impulso
Specialized Allez

“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Thu Nov 29, 2012 18:50 pm

pb21 wrote:
Crescent wrote:It's one of the reasons I loathe newspapers, I don't need someone else forcing their opinion down my throat.

I never get this argument against newspapers, that you don’t need someone else's opinion forced down your throat. If you read something you don’t have to accept it as gospel. I have, heaven forbid, read the Daily Mail before, it didn’t turn me into a rabid racist sexist homophobe. In fact, if anything, it allowed me to come up with my own opinions and justifications why that kind of thinking and viewpoint is not what I agree with. Being more left wing orientated I normally read the Grauniad but I don’t read it and assume whatever it says is correct. Also I have read parts of the bible before, from a position of someone who doesn’t believe in a Christian God, and it didn’t turn me into a born again Christian.

As long as what ever you read or see you take in critical manner and you are able to think for yourself in a independent way, reading and listening to people’s opinions, both those you agree with and those you don’t is good thing.

I just think a lot of journalism is about provoking a reaction and not necessarily about putting across a genuine point of view, I choose not to indulge them. I have no problem with different opinions per se, it is, as you point out, very healthy.
Ribble Gran Fondo
Bianchi Impulso
Specialized Allez

confused@BR

Postby confused@BR » Thu Nov 29, 2012 20:54 pm

It's our Wedding Anniversary today, sixteen years, although I first wed forty years ago. Instead of going out for dinner, as has been our habit, we went out for lunch, no rush, plenty of space in the restaurant and home before dark. We must be getting old but sixteen years have sped past without us feeling any different.
'fool'

Peddle Up!

Postby Peddle Up! » Thu Nov 29, 2012 21:11 pm

"Not young. I'm 37 in April."

Bless. :)
Purveyor of "up" :)

byke68

Postby byke68 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 21:36 pm

Want to feel your age? go through your cd collection and look at the year they were released. Yes, that one was released 20 years ago! Didn't think it was over 10 years ago when you brought that best of? Yep, done that! How time flys :(
Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
Genesis Croix De Fer '12 - I'm a happy commuter!

verylonglegs

Postby verylonglegs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 21:53 pm

One particular moment I remember I had this getting on a bit feeling was last year when someone on the radio mentioned that the baby celebrated with the now famous cradle swinging motion by Bebeto and Romario after a Brazil goal in USA '94 had just signed his own professional contract in the Brazil domestic league. I could remember quite clearly watching that goal and celebration as it happened and thought fooking hell..it was 17yrs ago!

Gizmodo

Postby Gizmodo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 22:00 pm

dynamicbrick wrote:Anything up to 1992 is sometime ago
93 up to 2000 feels like a while back
2000-2008 is basically last month
The last four years was last week, or was it the week before... I forget.

I've got to use this for Facebook. Brilliant.

I got varifocals last week - I was feeling old until I went cycling with the club on Wednesday. I split from the main group for a faster ride with another guy, Brian. 50 hard miles later I ask him how old he is - 72 :shock: I thought I was doing well to keep up with him!

Matchstick Man

Postby Matchstick Man » Thu Nov 29, 2012 22:19 pm

seanoconn wrote:I started to feel old the moment Phil Neville made his England debut. I was no longer younger than anyone in the England football team :( Watching entire football careers from start to finish also makes me feel old. I'm 37 next month and while still being attractive, :wink: I'm wondering when pretty young girls (not too young) will say **** off you old pervert. That will HURT!!

My laughter lines don't disappear when I'm not laughing anymore :(

I'm a child of 1973 and I've watched a generation of guys my own age become pros, have careers and then retire :shock:
'My' generation included Hincapie, Ullrich and thankfully O'Grady. Why thankfully for Stuey? Because he's still rocking it as a pro and I'm clinging to the last vestiges of youthfulness while someone my own age is still a pro.

I found it bizarre at this summers Olympics to realise that Boardman winning his gold was 20 years ago. W.T.F? Barcelona was only a couple of Olympic cycles ago wasn't it?

Return to “The Cake Stop”