hand torches that rock

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Courage Monsieur

Re: hand torches that rock

Postby Courage Monsieur » Fri Dec 07, 2012 16:16 pm

Thanks all for this happy journey into the world of torches.

While on these travels, I noticed the LED Lenser K1, which is tiny keyring light. £8 in Maplins and I got one today. Quality stuff. It's like the Maglite Solitaire, but better. The K2 is a bit bigger.

I'm probably till going to get a Cree for use round the home etc.

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Fri Dec 07, 2012 16:36 pm

Courage Monsieur wrote:Thanks all for this happy journey into the world of torches.

While on these travels, I noticed the LED Lenser K1, which is tiny keyring light. £8 in Maplins and I got one today. Quality stuff. It's like the Maglite Solitaire, but better. The K2 is a bit bigger.

I'm probably till going to get a Cree for use round the home etc.

The K1 only has 17 lumen output. You can getXML's in keychain form....

that give out up to 1000 lumens output (have one dangling from my backpack even as we speak). Similar price too.

rodgers73

Postby rodgers73 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 18:36 pm

Tesco do a good couple of good led torches and there's so many branches returning one is easy!

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Sat Dec 08, 2012 18:55 pm

rodgers73 wrote:Tesco do a good couple of good led torches and there's so many branches returning one is easy!

Tesco = Good?

Does not compute.................................................

Seriously. Nothing you'll find in your local supermarket, local bike shop etc currently comes close to the stuff you can buy from the far east. The real high end lights made by Hope, Lupine and exposure that cost hundreds of pounds struggle to reach the same level of brightness as the Cree XML stuff coming out of the far east for less than £30.

rodgers73

Postby rodgers73 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 09:28 am

Yeah, seriously. It's about £18 instore (cant find it online) and its like a bloody searchligtht. Black aluminium body and very sturdy. It lives in my car and I'm more than happy with it. Plus if it ever breaks I only have to go down the road to sort it, not try and post it to Taiwan or somewhere!

SoloSuperia

Postby SoloSuperia » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 am

I feel hoodwinked I thought this thread was going to be about "The Killing lll".

DrKJM

Postby DrKJM » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:12 am

Ebay do an led replacement for a maglite. I have a 2d cell torch and am tempted to try one. Does anyone have any experience of these? I have a cree based light I use on my bike but the heft of a maglite is comforting at times.

Lycra-Byka

Postby Lycra-Byka » Sun Dec 09, 2012 17:02 pm

Although a supporter of the XML's do not believe the 1000 lumen claims.
I would hazard a guess nearer to 600lm

Bear in mind most on eBay are cheapo and although still great value they do differ in quality of output.

k-dog

Postby k-dog » Sun Dec 09, 2012 19:24 pm

DrKJM wrote:Ebay do an led replacement for a maglite. I have a 2d cell torch and am tempted to try one. Does anyone have any experience of these? I have a cree based light I use on my bike but the heft of a maglite is comforting at times.

I've had a few and they're pretty good. I have a 3D maglite and I just hit a new Terralux one. I had a similar one before. I got it to make the batteries last longer - and they do. Miles longer.

But I've been surprised how bright it is too. It's just better all round.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Courage Monsieur

Postby Courage Monsieur » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 pm

@Ouija
Nice one. That's a tad big for me to put in my pocket every day with the keys, but it looks good. Might get one anyway for travel.

itguy2

Postby itguy2 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 20:21 pm

Put simply, I love the ultrafire 501b with XML led.

They are amazing value for money. I bought one off eBay from a uk seller for £16 and then another from china (arrived in 7 days) for £7.

Build quality on both is great, they are super powerful (and the lumens output is directly proportional to the ampage of the driver and the battery quality).

Fits on the bike well, small when hand-held.
-----------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

Heavymental

Postby Heavymental » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Ha. Well, after all that my brother got me an ultrafire t6 with a zoomable beam. Build quality in the zoomable lens is terrible and I managed to break the thing in less than half an hour after taking the lens out to remove some fluff. One of the wires pulled out of the circuit board and can't get in there to resolder. Piece of crap to be honest. Hopefully he can get a refund and I'll invest in something better. The Lenser build quality was so much better. I guess the cheaper ones are only worth going for if you get the fixed lens versions. The zoom facility obviously compromises the reliability if its built on the cheap. Disappointing really and waste of money. Can't see that it would have lasted more than a few uses.

Bunneh

Postby Bunneh » Tue Dec 25, 2012 13:10 pm

Picked up a cheap set for 15 quid on eBay. 2 torches with brackets and Kodak batteries included. Free rear light too, which is excellent. I'm getting some good rechargeable batteries for them soon as the Kodaks are a bit meh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6lq9DzKcNs

Yes I made a video when I received them. Torches seem well made, although the battery insert's a bit thin. They have 3 settings it seems, bright, not as bright and flashing. Used them with no problems and for the money really impressed - oh and they delivered in a day!

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Tue Dec 25, 2012 16:42 pm

Heavymental. ....Always recommend a T6 and no Zoom. The T6 gives you brightest light a LED can currently get but the ZOOM heads F**K them up (terrible beam patterns and you want as few moving parts as possible).

Bunneh. Glad you like your lights. For the money they are worth a punt if your not into riding in completely dark environments (personally, i'd have rather had a single T6 and charger for the same price.. but then again i ride out in the country without any street lighting). Impressive delivery too, by the sound of it.

centimani

Postby centimani » Tue Dec 25, 2012 17:11 pm

This one i guess would double up as either a hand, or cycle torch with the right holder..
Cree 3W Refrakta Tactical torch, mains charger, car charger, 2x 18650 batteries, one for use, one as spare, plus belt holder.
Spot beam only in two outputs, plus a strobe, so no flood ability, but the beam is really good, i could imagine using this on the bike, no problem.
One downside, the switch rubber cover...i use mine extensively at work and that rubber cover has flipped off a couple times as ive dragged it out of overall pockets. If you lost it |(i didnt, i was lucky), it'd make switching a tad difficult.
Very well made otherwise...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/3w-rechargeable ... rch-415752

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Tue Dec 25, 2012 19:10 pm

Bit pricey for just 3w IMO.

centimani

Postby centimani » Tue Dec 25, 2012 19:36 pm

Ouija wrote:Bit pricey for just 3w IMO.

I tend to agree, it was a present brought without any checks other than the reviews, which are good.
It's a difficult one when buying something with no experience of it, some buy cheap and regret it. So far, with more use than the average person gives a torch, it's been very good. I work on machinery, it's pulled from my overalls to use maybe 5 to 10 times a day, dropped occasionally, chucked in my toolbox, it's holding up very well. That makes it a safer bet than a cheap one.
Best VFM . Who knows, there may well be better out there, but this one hasn't let itself down.

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:50 pm

You could probably upgrade it, i imagine. The emitter pills are pretty standardized (just unscrew the old one and pop in a new one). A lot of people forget that. You can buy something like a Lenser for the build quality and then swap out the emitter for something brighter, for instance. Really depends on what size/shape emitter comes with it.

appy

Postby appy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 18:25 pm

edit wrong thread :oops:

ILM Zero7

Postby ILM Zero7 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 15:34 pm

Ouija wrote:
Heavymental wrote:Jeeessus! There's a million different options out there! Any links?

For someone in England who stocks them then try this

bought the one on this link - it is brilliant
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
[b]Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

Return to “The Cake Stop”