The "Beautiful Game"

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
tim wand

The "Beautiful Game"

Postby tim wand » Sat Dec 15, 2012 23:58 pm

Post Jubolympic euphoria got many of us on here (Well the odd few) who follow the game of Football commentating that having just witnessed some of the finest sporting endeavour and achievement in a long time: that our "National Game" had really got something to live up to on its return.

Can I be the first (And I am a true football nut. Player and Supporter) to say that now we are at the half way point of the season, I dont think it could have failed any more comprehensively if it had scripted its own demise.

I really really am at my wits end with football, you just couldnt make it up.

Terry/ Suarez/ Cole/ Serbia , even the sacking of Di Matteo it just goes from bad to worse.

Crescent

Re: The "Beautiful Game"

Postby Crescent » Sun Dec 16, 2012 00:20 am

Couldn't agree more. I used to be able to sit and watch any game as a neutral, loved watching MotD, Champions League etc. Now, the whole sport just annoys me. The ridiculous sums of money that get bandied about, the lack of sportsmanship, the fact that it is run as a fairly cut-throat business now instead of a sport, the overexposure on TV, the fact that cheating has been allowed to become "part of the modern game". I rarely watch it at all now.
And I'm Scottish, so believe me, when it comes to football I have low standards, and I'm still disappointed by it :wink: .

Jerseys for goalposts. Mmmm? Isn't it?
Ribble Gran Fondo
Bianchi Impulso
Specialized Allez

“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells
Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Cleat Eastwood

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Sun Dec 16, 2012 00:29 am

Totally agree - it seems to have lots its sheen - this is what Everton fans must have been feeling for years. :lol:
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 16, 2012 00:52 am

United are top of the table so its not all bad :mrgreen:

and I can get my fix of Spanish football tomorrow - Barcelona vs. Athletico Madrid will hopefully live up to the hype!

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Sun Dec 16, 2012 00:53 am

You forgot the Clattenburg affair, Cole's Mum and her terrible tweet, Chelsea target Fellani's disgusting headbutt, the boorish behaviour of some Chelsea fans towards Rafa, I'm sure there are more things to have a pop at Chelsea for but I can't be arsed.

As for your main point, I agree completely. It was always going to be difficult for the new season of football (mainly Premiership) to follow what was an amazing Olympics. Which showed sport at it's best and all the great qualities in human nature.

I too have loved the game since childhood, but I feel myself becoming more and more disillusioned with the game as I get older. I'm sick of the way players will cheat at any cost, then afterwards you"ll have to listen to their manager* defend them and moan about the quality of the refereeing! Here's an idea, get your players to play the game in the right spirit and the referee just might have an easier job. Stop insulting the fans intelligence (football haters can insert their own gag here) and just be honest.

I've also said before that there is less humour in the game. In the past you were certain to hear funny comments from someone in the crowd or very witty chants. Nowadays it all seems a bit spiteful and nasty.

For the last couple of seasons I have come close to giving up the season ticket, thinking of the lovely bikely stuff I could get with the money. That day is drawing nearer.

* Fair play to David Moyes tonight for being straight over Fellani. The way it should be done.
Last edited by Cornerblock on Sun Dec 16, 2012 09:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

crispybug2

Postby crispybug2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 02:00 am

To truly judge how low football (and to be blunt I went off it long before the premiership came along to totally corrupt every aspect of the game) is watch the reaction of supporters behind the posts when a member of the opposition scores a goal against their team. It's a mixture of pure hatred and venom with murderous intent (was that a bit over the top?) It is like watching the worst aspects of the human condition on prime time television.

dynamicbrick

Postby dynamicbrick » Sun Dec 16, 2012 08:21 am

If you want a really good sport ruined, fill it full of money.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/spo ... 2120351606

Rugby Union, Northern Handball (Rugby League), F1, BTCC, and so on, stand as shining examples of how to take a great sport and completely wreck it with accountants. Let's be honest, Sky did a very good job of making the Tour pretty dull this year; could you imagine how monotonous it would be if all there were five or six teams that ran like Sky? Only Crikkit seems to have escaped the curse of over-professionalisation.

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 09:22 am

As a Scot, trust me, you ain't seen nothing yet.
The game up here truly imploded towards the end of last season. I gave up at that point.
It is still there in the background but I don't care and if you don't care, what is the point?

The whole sport is corrupt and the only light of hope I can see is if the implosion returns the game to it's roots.

And crikkit? Have you seen some of the attitudes to the Indian league? Or the betting cheating? Far from clean.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

simona75

Postby simona75 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 09:29 am

I agree. Like others have said I used to watch most of the televised prem. games but now I don't watch any. I still enjoy the Championship as that's where my club (Leicester) play and that division still seems to have a degree of equality and excitement about it.

The NFL, while it has its problems, is a good example of a sport that has heavily regulated itself to preserve equality (salary caps, player drafts etc). I think our version of football could learn something.

dynamicbrick

Postby dynamicbrick » Sun Dec 16, 2012 09:48 am

daviesee wrote:
And crikkit? Have you seen some of the attitudes to the Indian league? Or the betting cheating? Far from clean.

Didn't say it was clean, and I only watch county games.

Bringing the Indian league into it is like comparing the premiership with some of the South American leagues.

wheezee

Postby wheezee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:00 am

You can't really compare the week-in week-out professional game with the Olympics. Best you can do is compare it to the international tournaments. The brilliant Spanish side made the last one a pretty enjoyable occasion.

It can also be true that whilst the "party" tournament/Olympic games can be entertaining, you don't get to invest a lifetime's anxiety and misery into the outcome, like you do supporting a football team.

finchy

Postby finchy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:28 am

Maidstone United talk of the Ryman League South. Gyori ETO top of the Hungarian first division. Happy days.

Pity about Bolton, but I can't have it all.

Frank the tank

Postby Frank the tank » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:52 am

I used to love playing football and watching my beloved Hucknall town.

However I finished playing in 1995 and town are now on the verge of folding. I don't bother with the premiershit or euro carnival balloney. The powers that be bang on about respect and they don't even embrace technology or penalise the cheats, they're a bunch of hypocrits.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Sun Dec 16, 2012 14:06 pm

They do bang on a lot about 'the most exciting league in the world'. It isn't the best, it isn't the most technical and its definitely not the most tactical. If there was a mainstream choice between L Liga and MotD on a Saturday night, MotD would be forgotten pretty quickly.
"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try" Disgruntledgoat - who owe's me 10 Goat Bucks

S - The womens Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

Seantheconn: más afeminado que un jamboree de Guías Internacional

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 15:04 pm

dynamicbrick wrote:
daviesee wrote:

Didn't say it was clean, and I only watch county games.

Bringing the Indian league into it is like comparing the premiership with some of the South American leagues.

How many English players play in it?
More like comparing the Champions League with the Championship. Money has twisted the ethics and that was the main point.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Sun Dec 16, 2012 17:47 pm

pinarello001 wrote: If there was a mainstream choice between L Liga and MotD on a Saturday night, MotD would be forgotten pretty quickly.

Absoluto cojones! I don't buy into the 'best league in the world' tripe but there is no way football fans in England would choose to watch Osasuna v Granada ahead of their own teams on a Saturday night. Besides that if Gary Lineker was any more tanned I'd have to adjust the colour on my TV.

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Sun Dec 16, 2012 18:21 pm

I gave up on football years ago. Too much diving and bad sportsmanship.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 18:36 pm

I dunno, I think it's easy to forget all the shyte that went on in years gone past and think that it's getting worse. I can only remember a few myself from the past - Cantona's Kung Fu kick / Dennis Wise beating up a taxi driver / Merson snorting coke / Newcastle players spit roasting some rohypnolled girl etc etc - but footballers have never really covered themselves in moral glory for a long time now.

True there's been some right crap this season but I just concentrate on watching the games then it doesn't matter half as much :) .
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Sun Dec 16, 2012 19:02 pm

But it's the games that are the problem! The diving, feigning head injuries to stop the game, trying to get your fellow professionals booked or sent off, the histrionics, it all just poisons the actual match. As for off the pitch, not saying I don't care what they do, but I don't think anyone should be looking to footballers as moral leaders.

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 19:42 pm

Cornerblock wrote:But it's the games that are the problem! The diving, feigning head injuries to stop the game, trying to get your fellow professionals booked or sent off, the histrionics, it all just poisons the actual match. As for off the pitch, not saying I don't care what they do, but I don't think anyone should be looking to footballers as moral leaders.

I did say it didn't matter half as much :) Fair point, I'm all for a big clampdown on that sort of on-pitch cr@p you mention - also the sheer disrespect shown to the refs boils my p1ss and needs to be stamped out.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Return to “The Cake Stop”