Just been hit by a car

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Pinno

Re: Just been hit by a car

Postby Pinno » Fri Jan 11, 2013 19:44 pm

In November one afternoon returning from a ride approaching a roundabout, a car cut right accross me as he was not indicating and I thought he was going straight on. I cursed and swore at the bloke who actually got out of the car and approached me. I took off and reported the incident to the police. My reply from the (female) police officer was, and I quote "We are not here to uphold the highway code" !!
Well thanks a f*cking bunch.
To the OP - did you get the number plate and are you going to persue it ? The guy who posted the 'incident with a motorcycle' managed to get compensation despite the incident not being held up by the police or the motorcycle club. Good luck 'cos until car drivers are hit in the pocket with insurance premium hikes, the ba$tards won't change their driving habits (and I do a lot of driving).
"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try" Disgruntledgoat - who owe's me 10 Goat Bucks

S - The womens Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

Seantheconn: más afeminado que un jamboree de Guías Internacional

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 am

pete_s wrote:
Pross wrote:I hate roundabouts on the bike and as a highway engineer I know there is little that can be done to make them safer for cyclists.

Are you sure?

Positive, you'd have to completely re-educate driver behaviour (and educating it in the first place is hard). You'd also have to re-engineer virtually every roundabout in the UK as we design them differently over here. On the continent the theory is to make them tight on entry and exit so that vehicles travel slowly around them and anyone waiting can accept a smaller gap in traffic. Over here they are engineered to slow people slightly on the approach but the exits are designed to be much more open so that vehicles can pick up speed. UK roundabouts are all about maximising capacity. There is new design guidance to start going the continental route so maybe over the course of a generation we can start going down that route but with the current fast exits I really wouldn't fancy trying it.

Capt Slog

Postby Capt Slog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Pross wrote:
pete_s wrote:
Pross wrote:I hate roundabouts on the bike and as a highway engineer I know there is little that can be done to make them safer for cyclists.

Are you sure?

Positive, you'd have to completely re-educate driver behaviour (and educating it in the first place is hard). You'd also have to re-engineer virtually every roundabout in the UK as we design them differently over here. On the continent the theory is to make them tight on entry and exit so that vehicles travel slowly around them and anyone waiting can accept a smaller gap in traffic. Over here they are engineered to slow people slightly on the approach but the exits are designed to be much more open so that vehicles can pick up speed. UK roundabouts are all about maximising capacity. There is new design guidance to start going the continental route so maybe over the course of a generation we can start going down that route but with the current fast exits I really wouldn't fancy trying it.

Another flaw of UK roundabouts is that they are all so different. I never realised how much so until my German colleague drove me on an outing for work. We approached a roundabout and he looked at it and shook his head, saying ...
"The only safe way to tackle a roundabout in Britain is to have been there before".

Sadly this is true. How many times have you been on an roundabout and realised that the car in front/beside you "isn't a local" because they don't know the which lane to be in to exit properly? And before you say "read the signs", it isn't always obvious, there are plenty of islands where you have to 'know' where to be, and if you followed the signs you can be in the wrong place.
"Dinosaur" "... horrible human being", BR Mod.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “The Cake Stop”