Get your local loop in Cycling Plus

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
giant man

Postby giant man » Thu Jun 15, 2006 16:47 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Diogenes</i>

Big chunk of my local loop in this months C+. Helmsley, Ingelby Greenhow, Battersby, Kildale etc. Don't do the chimney though, too much of a coward[:D] Gunner has some decent photos of bits of it on his website, especially the top of clay bank.

D[:D]

If God wanted me to drive a car, he'd have given me three legs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><i></i><center></center>
Yes looks like a lovely area have to say. And all that in your back garden. wow......sounds like a great excuse for a weekend away sometime. [:D]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Argon 18 Platinum - Campagnolo Record - Mavic Ksyrium SSC SLs

pgscp

Postby pgscp » Thu Jun 15, 2006 17:08 pm

I often visit Bristol and do a loop across the Severn Bridge to Wales and back, would be pleased to send full details if you like, can be done on any type of bike.

chisacp

Postby chisacp » Wed Jun 21, 2006 14:01 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 1x1</i>

Why would 'entirely NCN or byway' routes be 'so much the better'?
(serious question)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">because cycling plus has turned into a ciclosportif and touring magazing for fat over-40s on colnagos[:D]

M3ta7h3ad

Postby M3ta7h3ad » Sat Jul 08, 2006 06:01 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stiffback</i>

You should come to the Rhondda sometime. To start your ride you have to either climb the Rhigos or the Bwlch mountains, both of which feature in the Dagon Ride. After that you can have a play in the Brecon Beacons! If you don't like climbing though, you are probably not going to have a happy day!

Aahh,I Love the smell of road kill in the morning
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lol Caerphilly 'ere. Similar situation. Surrounded by bloody mountains/hills and the brecon beacons is pretty much going to be part of any route I make around here of any decent length. Grrrr.. Nightmare specially when im only just starting out in the biking world. :D

Currently stuck doing shuttle runs along the Taff Trail for kicks and simplicity (Caerphilly -> Cardiff and Back again so I get to encounter the mighty thing that is the Castell Coch ascent/descent if I can be arsed to deal with it Otherwise its just a long slog up from taffs well).

road-runner

Postby road-runner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 18:18 pm

Neil, what do you have planned for the weekend of 28/29 October? CTC South Bucks is organising a weekend of rides in the Chilterns. See Golden Beeches Weekend, currently at the bottom of this page.

np@cyclingplus

Postby np@cyclingplus » Tue Aug 01, 2006 18:24 pm

Very sorry all for posting a request on here then disappearing - what with all these alleged drug cheats trying to ruin our magazine it's been even more hectic than 'normal', before, during and after the Tour... Also we're a man (well woman actually) down on the team now so I temporaily lost that day out the office over the last few months. Dammit! But the empty chair should be filled again soon and I should be able to give this thread - and the rides it should create - the attention they deserve.
All the best,
Neil

butmunch56cp

Postby butmunch56cp » Sun Aug 06, 2006 18:06 pm

i enjoy an excellent ride, starting in lambourn accross the downs, into wiltshire and dropping down and then up to marlborough, which has the widest highstreet in the uk. we then head towards hungerford and then back round to lambourn. full of beatiful rolling countryside and fitness maintaining climbs. worth checking out![:D]

Rob.Gardner

Postby Rob.Gardner » Mon Aug 21, 2006 20:49 pm

I've got a loop that I usually cycle on a weekend with my cycling buddy. We leave Bristol via Long Ashton make our way to Brockley Combe, then through Chew Stoke to West Harptree up on to the Mendips via Geendown, along the B3134 down into Blagdon, up Burrington Combe, Charterhouse, Lillypool farm (tea and cake)Shipham, Churchill, Lower Langford, Wrington, Redhill around the airport, Farleigh, Flax Bourton (sadly main road again)Belmont Hill, back to Bristol.
The route is hilly and only a few sections are really busy.

hevipedal

Postby hevipedal » Wed Sep 20, 2006 13:53 pm

Neil
Here's one for North London even us capital city dwellers can find a hill or two
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=447026

only 9 km in total but the circular part can be done as many times as you like; or can because like might not come into it the second or third time up over the top.

Hevipedal
50 and Proud of it - 6 inches off the waist
Next job's L'Etape
Pedal to Paris Sept 2007 ? I've been bugged
www.mikenugent.co.uk

hevipedal

Postby hevipedal » Thu Sep 21, 2006 09:31 am

Living here north of London and inside the M25 there is a definite shortage of mountains; however ther are a few damn fine hills. This is a 50km route (actually 51km but who's counting). A gentle start, then a steady climb at 10k followed at 14k by a steep climb. This leads straight into a long steady climb to 22k. A good run downhill leads to the final steep climb at 26k. A plateau with false flats and then downhill to 35k. Then a long flatish run home. A good ride out. But do it on Sunday; on weekdays some of these roads are busy.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=448862

Hevipedal
Next job's L'Etape
www.mikenugent.co.uk

SteveR_100Milers

Postby SteveR_100Milers » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jonathan15</i>

My route would be to start at the Afan Argoed cafe (near Port Talbot, S.Wales), through Pontrydyfen to Neath. Past Aberdulais and continue on old road upto GlynNeath. Go up climb to Cefn Rhigos which is quite a long climb (2miles or so). Once up here go on road towards Treorchy. This is I think a Catorgry 2 climb (about 3miles long, but steady gradient). Decend from the top into Treorchy at over 40mph. Ride down the valley until traffic lights. Go up A4061 to the Bwlch-y-Clawdd. Another Catorgry 2 (pos cat 1?) climb. If you want, stop for an ice cream at t-junction. Turn off at t-junction onto A4107 and climb to about 530metres and get rewarded by awesome views! Decend into the Afan valley on v.fast decent (faster than Rhigos decent). This valley is quite challenging but still fast. Race down to Afan Argoed's cafe for refueling and much needed rest!

Stats of ride
45miles
2000metres of climbing

If you're down in South Wales this is a cycling must!!!!!

C Weekly did part of this route in last weeks rag with the other Swedish rider whose name escapes me at this precise moment (he who lives with Magnus Backstedt). The climb up from Treorchy is fun.

malky54704

Postby malky54704 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 14:43 pm

I love to cycle around the Ashdown Forest, thee are some amazing good views, some good hills and a few places to stop for a rest!

Power to the Pedal

http://charitybikeride.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

walkercp

Postby walkercp » Wed Oct 11, 2006 16:27 pm

Why not do this but readers send in their own pictures and maps and write in their own column?

robbarker

Postby robbarker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 16:41 pm

We might have to soon :-)

Here's my latest favourite loop anyway - a slight mod on the one I mentioned earlier and simply stunning to ride.

robbarker

Postby robbarker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 16:43 pm

Oops.. here's the map..

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=487196.

It includes the new Sustrans Monmouth - Symonds Yat cycle path

Mark.Scp

Postby Mark.Scp » Wed Oct 11, 2006 20:56 pm

i live near bristol and one of my favourate rides is:

thornbury/chepstow/tintern/trellech/chepstow/thornbury

even though it is shortish at 40 miles, there is a fair amount of climb!

Mark

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In sport, losing is the end of the world

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Omegabri

Postby Omegabri » Fri Oct 13, 2006 13:07 pm

MMMmmmm....this all looks very familiar chaps.
I've had a few emails about this and would have to boast that your a little late maybe...Especially considering that my website actually started on the Cycling Plus forum last year..[;)]

[:)][:)][:)]<b>www.CycleRouteUK.com</b>[:)][:)][:)]

Oh well. Keep up the good work, I guess..............[:D]
Brian..

Check out CycleRouteUK and submit your own cycle route !! (use the link below)
www.CycleRouteUK.com

northerner

Postby northerner » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:07 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

Neil
Here's one for North London even us capital city dwellers can find a hill or two
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=447026

only 9 km in total but the circular part can be done as many times as you like; or can because like might not come into it the second or third time up over the top.

Hevipedal
Next job's L'Etape
www.mikenugent.co.uk

slowrider

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”