Child Trailers

Want to get your kids on two wheels? Got any general 'family biking' questions? Chat here
Mister Paul

Postby Mister Paul » Mon Aug 13, 2007 18:40 pm

We did it with bungee cords and the straps already in the trailer. If it passes the obsessively over-protective new mom test, as ours did, then it must be ok.

JJDLD

Postby JJDLD » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:14 am

Re babies in trailers. We’ve inherited an old Chariot trailer – previous owners used it for their three children and now we’re using it with our six month old (although he first used it in off-road pram mode round Dalby and Grisedale forests at around two months).

It came with an old car seat which had been hacked around to make it fit in the “footwell” in front of the seat. With clever use of webbing straps the car seat can be anchored in pretty tightly, but at quite a reclined angle so his head isn’t flopping forward. Son loves it and is normally asleep within minutes (bonus!).

JJ.

mailmannz

Postby mailmannz » Fri Aug 24, 2007 19:51 pm

Mister Paul wrote:The minimum age on a trailer is only to absolve responsibility, and based on kneck muscle strength.

you can get a pretty young baby safely in a trailer by fixing their car seat in.

Are there any trailors that are designed for baby seats?

Regards

Mailman

baudman

Postby baudman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 22:01 pm

Mister Paul wrote:The minimum age on a trailer is only to absolve responsibility, and based on kneck muscle strength.

you can get a pretty young baby safely in a trailer by fixing their car seat in.

Sorry - a bit of cross posting here, as this was also discussed in the Commuting forum, but the paternal instinct in me is plonking it in here also, so everyone can stay informed.

Bent Mikey wrote:Here's a safety article about trailers:
http://www.londonskaters.com/cycling/article-child-trailer-safety.htm

And here's another - This article mentions a few things about safety, but the key one that concerned me was about the possible 'shaken baby syndrome' aspect.
http://www.helmets.org/little1s.htm

We got a Croozer 737 trailer. We chose a trailer over a bike seat for a few reasons. Firstly, most of the research I read said that it is far safer. Secondly, it can be used for a variety of purposes (groceries etc). The Croozer also comes with a trolley-style wheel so you can use it as a stroller, and a better wheel so you can use it as a jogger, which we have on many occasions. I was impressed with this multi-use aspect, as well as the Croozer's method of attaching to the bike, which I use on my commuter heap, but I've also used on my disc-equipped dually.

There are a variety of children's helmets out there that will fit very small heads. We bought a Netti. However, when you have it adjusted down so that it fits 'bubba's head, the helmet is still very large on their head so there's a lot of leverage and strain on a little neck.

Most of the studies I read say that you shouldn't mix bikes and kids before they turn one, and from my observations with the helmet, I'd tend to agree. She loved it, but we only went out a few times before her first birthday. She's now 18 months old and adores it. Now that the weather is warming up again in Australia, we'll be using it more often.

One more thing - grab a mirror. I use a Zefal Spy - mainly coz I already had it.
Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike

Mister Paul

Postby Mister Paul » Thu Aug 30, 2007 13:28 pm

mailmannz wrote:

Are there any trailors that are designed for baby seats?

Regards

Mailman

I think you can buy an attachment for a Chariot trailer to fit a baby in. Speak to Amba Marketing, who are the importers.

Mister Paul

Postby Mister Paul » Thu Aug 30, 2007 13:32 pm

Yup, it's right to be wary. At the end of the day you have to make your own decision based on what you know.

But I'd be very wary of that helmets.org page. When people start making completely uneducated comments about "shaken baby" injuries then you know there's an element of drama involved.

barbej

Postby barbej » Mon Sep 03, 2007 13:30 pm

You can get a sling for the CTS Trailers for very young children. You are only supposed to use it whilst walking which seems to be for legal reasons as they will not be wearing a helmet. we used it from about 3-4months old with great success.

fatoldhippy

Postby fatoldhippy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 16:46 pm

This sounds like a familiar story - before I go down the chop-down-an-old-carseat path, does anyone know if either the sling for the Chariot or the Weber baby seat (as sold for use in Chariot and Croozer) can be used in the Bumper Explorer Solo?

Sounds like I'm in good company, looking for a way to get a 4-6 month-old to nursery on the bike as well as get her safely out with us on the bikes.

We may eventually decide it's too risky and only trailer on days out, but I'd like her to have the option as soon as possible. Like many others, Bumper Explorer is labelled as 18 months.

Return to “Family & Kids cycling forum”