Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
garryac

Postby garryac » Tue Jul 01, 2008 08:19 am

Its all utter madness... although I really do enjoy burning past people when I'm riding my 26 inch folder with a panniers and a bar bag...its a good ploy to sit up just after you get past and make show of pulling your shirt down with both hands and stretch your back...keep pedling though....

Greg T

Postby Greg T » Tue Jul 01, 2008 08:26 am

jethro924 wrote:I demand a re-count, surely I should start from fixed, not MTB on slicks?

Ah! I now see the fixed bit - presumed this meant no suspension as no-one in the right minds would fide a fixed gear MTB....

By all that is holy man what are riding?

Now I'm all for individualism - actually that's not true - I worry that my black bike socks are a) Black and b) just a cm longer than everyone elses. Actually having thought about it I hate individualism and a fixed gear slicked up MTB with drop bars and panniers is the work of Satan.

In fact a crime against God of this order couldn't go unpunished and I refuse to beleive that the componentry / frame combination can exist in the same space. I don't beleive your "wrong un".

2wheelzgood wrote:I'm not playing, I have to beat those hardcore fixed or a flaming motorised bike on my Frankenstein singlespeed.. surely I get dropped one for a flat bar (shh no extensions mentioned). I'm not running a huge gear.. in London I may be able to ride a gear that tops over 25mph comfortably but here there be hills!

I'm claiming "fast Hybrid" cos that's what it used to be before I removed the fast gears!

It doesn't matter if you are playing or not - someone's got your back wheel in their sites has counted the cogs and is booking your scalp in for a big win......

Having played the game on the way in this morning I have to say that it's a killer. There are no penalties for getting dropped by bikes in your own class you don't want to take the risk that the as the road bike eases by you the dude pushing the pedals isn't wearing a pair of jeans and listening to an i-pod..... (-1 for each trangression) The Herman bike lollipop thing may be the first -2 penalty.

I'm considering dropping a class by getting baggy shorts... or is this gamesmanship?

Greg T

Postby Greg T » Tue Jul 01, 2008 08:33 am

garryac wrote:Its all utter madness... although I really do enjoy burning past people when I'm riding my 26 inch folder with a panniers and a bar bag...its a good ploy to sit up just after you get past and make show of pulling your shirt down with both hands and stretch your back...keep pedling though....

Hmmm.....

Folding bikes are hard to place as (in my experience) the pilots have a wider range of ability than other bike classes....

However unless convinced I'm not supporting a promotion as Folders sit just below MTBs on nobbies and those guys can feel a bit of heat.

I do approve of the Pulling the shirt down thing, only one point below going by some one no handed (-15 points for stacking you bike as you are no-handed passing someone)

garryac

Postby garryac » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:36 am

:D

so do I loose a place or gain one for slicks on the folder?...and how about attire...proper cycle shirt..or like today baggy old grey tee shirt :wink:

will3

Postby will3 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 am

garryac wrote::D

so do I loose a place or gain one for slicks on the folder?...and how about attire...proper cycle shirt..or like today baggy old grey tee shirt :wink:

oh there's deffinitely a heirachy of clothing:

full lycra/helmet/wraparound
messenger outfit
fakenger outfit
cyling shorts and teeshirt
jeans/tshirt
tweed suit
pinstriped suit

or something like that.
Doubtless with a girlie equivalent.

2wheelzgood

Postby 2wheelzgood » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 am

what's fakenger?

I have mtb baggies, a roadie top and clipless..you canot pigeon hole us!

Greg T

Postby Greg T » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:50 am

will3 wrote:full lycra/helmet/wraparound
messenger outfit
fakenger outfit
cyling shorts and teeshirt
jeans/tshirt
tweed suit
pinstriped suit

You forgot the bike hat rather than a helmet, lycra, little bike cap and shades - very pro look.

Dropping someone wearing a little bike cap is bonus - can't wait to do it - ahem...

2wheelzgood

Postby 2wheelzgood » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:53 am

however on a negative slant.. any street cleaning vehicles are a -10 if they pass you.. no excuses about wanting the cleaned, glass free road behind it

will3

Postby will3 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:03 am

Don't forget that all these categories are purely indications of how seriously you take it. If you are taking it seriously enough to be deliberately riding in a lower category purely to gain points, then you get automatically downgraded...............

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:03 am

Greg T wrote:You forgot the bike hat rather than a helmet, lycra, little bike cap and shades - very pro look.

That was me this morning. Not sure the pro tag fits for me, though. The cap keeps my fair-skinned forehead from burning :)

woodford2barbican

Postby woodford2barbican » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:11 am

2wheelzgood wrote:what's fakenger?

http://www.movingtargetzine.com/article/fakenger

Clever Pun

Postby Clever Pun » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:22 am

hmm I'm in full lycra with unshaved legs but I carry fairly hefty crumpler... is that equivalent of panniers? I'd like to think not

Over taking while freewheeling is the best imo maybe checking your nails nonchalantly then peddling off into the distance :lol:

friend on mine overtook some roadies on his brompton while holding an umbrella.. nice
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

2wheelzgood

Postby 2wheelzgood » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:28 am

That's class!!

I once got overtaken by an assessor of mine at uni in a suite, on a folder and he had lights fixed on and panniers.. I had even tired to short cut by using the park path as an extension of teh cycle path... the shame

stopped at lights and had a chat. he then let me go ahead as he told me he'd hold me up.. the sly cheeaky git.

obviously I had to cane it to make sure I was quicker from then on..

snooks

Postby snooks » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:37 am

Do you add your to and from work totals together??

I don't leave until 8:30 ish and there aren't the same amount of victi...sorry, other cyclists, to pass...but on the way home I pass more than pass me after the lights go green.

And what happens if you get people pushing past you to RLJ, and they turn off before you can catch them...that hardly seems fair :(

Oh and could the members of the embankment scramble write their number on their back so it's easier for me to keep a tally???

Actually..that could be quite fun...Stick your food chain number on yer back somewhere helmet/bag/pannier, somewhere visible, then you get double if you're competing against a fellow bike club member :twisted:

Might also confuse those who aren't in the know!!!
FCN:5, 8 & 9
If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
THE Game
Watch out for HGVs

will3

Postby will3 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:47 am

On th clothing front - don;t forget there's a sub-food chain in lycras:

something like
random shorts/jersey
club jersey(that you actually belong to)
matching jersey and shorts
wannabe team colours
yellow/polkadot jersey (which'll be coming out over the next week or two no doubt)

and a side note on draughting:
Anything that goes by that is in a higher category is 'fair game'
draughting anything in a lower category is bad form.

2wheelzgood

Postby 2wheelzgood » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:56 am

[quote=snooks]Oh and could the members of the embankment scramble write their number on their back so it's easier for me to keep a tally??? [/quote]
very clever and lazy I might add! (which is a good thing!!!

only possible issue is confusing these ranking numbers as rider numbers from a recently entered race of the unsuspecting roadie.

You'd get all confused and flustered if a roadie in lycra passed you but it said 14!!!

Greg T

Postby Greg T » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:58 am

snooks wrote:And what happens if you get people pushing past you to RLJ, and they turn off before you can catch them...that hardly seems fair :(

I was thinking about this exact thing this morning when a bad piece of lane selection had a swarm of hybrids stream by me that i had dropped on the Parsons Green bus lane. Damn.

I think it only counts if you are not obstructed. Getting by someone as they slow for lights is defo not the game....

Actually..that could be quite fun...Stick your food chain number on yer back somewhere helmet/bag/pannier, somewhere visible, then you get double if you're competing against a fellow bike club member:twisted:

That's it I'm in.

I live in Richmond as well Snooks so you and may well cross paths......

Do you shave your legs? Cough Splutter.

Will3 wrote:and a side note on draughting:

There's a lot of talk about the etiquette of getting a lift. In eight years of embankment peletoning only once has anyone asked if I'd mind them hanging on for a while....

Some nights in the Millbank wind tunnel I'll collect Klingons like you wouldn't believe.

I'm with you Will

2wheelzgood

Postby 2wheelzgood » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:59 am

woodford2barbican wrote:
2wheelzgood wrote:what's fakenger?

http://www.movingtargetzine.com/article/fakenger

btw ta,. I'm not trying but my style is getting closer to this... crap!

snooks

Postby snooks » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:04 pm

2wheelzgood wrote:only possible issue is confusing these ranking numbers as rider numbers from a recently entered race of the unsuspecting roadie.

If I managed to pass a race fit roadie, with shiny legs and team colours, I'd probably faint and fall off a few yards down the road :D
FCN:5, 8 & 9
If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
THE Game
Watch out for HGVs

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Greg T wrote:
snooks wrote:And what happens if you get people pushing past you to RLJ, and they turn off before you can catch them...that hardly seems fair :(

I was thinking about this exact thing this morning when a bad piece of lane selection had a swarm of hybrids stream by me that i had dropped on the Parsons Green bus lane. Damn.

I think it only counts if you are not obstructed. Getting by someone as they slow for lights is defo not the game....

Actually..that could be quite fun...Stick your food chain number on yer back somewhere helmet/bag/pannier, somewhere visible, then you get double if you're competing against a fellow bike club member:twisted:

That's it I'm in.

I live in Richmond as well Snooks so you and may well cross paths......
Do you shave your legs? Cough Splutter.

Will3 wrote:and a side note on draughting:

There's a lot of talk about the etiquette of getting a lift. In eight years of embankment peletoning only once has anyone asked if I'd mind them hanging on for a while....

Some nights in the Millbank wind tunnel I'll collect Klingons like you wouldn't believe.

I'm with you Will

And me in Kingston. What time do you chaps go through? I get to Millbank around 8:40am.

The Embankment scramble has a touch of the Wacky Races about it at times.

On the route home, do you use the slope after the roundabout at whatever Bridge it is to remove the drafters?
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Return to “Commuting Chat”