Reebok Bikes

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Schmako

Postby Schmako » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:20 am

If people weren't so stupid shite bikes like this wouldn't exist.

beanston1975

Postby beanston1975 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:34 am

My friend's missus has an Apollo FS bike and she asked me to give it a service a while back - and it truly was a joke of a bike! I got the scales out and it weighed almost 40lbs!!! The front and rear suspension was ridiculous and the gripshifters were appalling!

I advised her to flog it on ebay and use the proceeds to put towards an entry level Spesh, Trek, or Mongoose or something!

Dav1

Postby Dav1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:46 am

saw one on the train the other day, the chav that owned it thought anyone that looked at it was going to nick it including me when i stared at the oversize stem, horrible welding to make it look like a chunky freeride rig and the weak looking spoke lacing on the wheels with the low end cable disc brake.

As far as sports shops go a pilch shop in norwich has started doing bikes. They seem to have got it right though as when i had a look I was surrouned by marins and GTs
Nothing beats
a day in the wilderness --- or a good road trip
MTB - FCN 8/9 --- Roadie - FCN 3/4/5

dhxcme

Postby dhxcme » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:26 pm

chavs have got to ride something. tbh I wouldn't want them riding an Orange as it devalues the brand. If they are ridng that junk their not forcing the value of my bike down.

MrKawamura

Postby MrKawamura » Mon Jun 30, 2008 14:00 pm

These types of bike are horrendous, but I see them in the context of what they are actually used for, despite the marketing men using mtb styling as a sales tool.

You can happily ride one mile to the shops on any bike. The folk who buy £150 full sussers are not interested enough in cycling to care or know better.

When was the last time you saw a 40lb Apollo full susser out on a proper trail? Never (somebody tell me I'm wrong, I would love to hear about it). These are short journey town bikes, and that's pretty much all they are used for, and while you could spend your money on something more suitable, they probably do the job okay.

stumpyjon

Postby stumpyjon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:37 am

Dragged my neighbour out over Easter on his Apollo FS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Forks completely collapsed when he sat on it so no travel. Rear shock just pogoed. Heavy as hell and the gears didn't work.

Must have got the biking bug though as he went out and bought a Scott Aspect 45 the week afterwards. He's still riding it now. The loop we did the first time (8.7miles) took him over 3 hours, he's now doing it in 1hr 15 mins. I'm not defending the bike, it was crap, but if he hadn't had it in the garage he wouldn't have come out that first time and wouldn't be riding now.

Best thing was it was originally bought for his missus :shock:
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result

MrKawamura

Postby MrKawamura » Tue Jul 01, 2008 14:24 pm

I see - people do try it, but their bikes fall apart so quickly we're not likely to ever see 'em actually riding. Glad to hear you neighbour was interested enough to have another go.

Schmako

Postby Schmako » Tue Jul 01, 2008 20:24 pm

Spotted: Terrible old Apollo fs trying to work its way up the Glentress red with one very tired individual on it.

dhxcme

Postby dhxcme » Tue Jul 01, 2008 20:36 pm

all you can do is give them encouragement.

encouragement to buy a better bike.

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:21 pm

stumpyjon wrote:
Oh, Tesco bike descriptions can be good. Brakes: Front and Rear. That's a relief!

Not so much a spec description as a basic legal requirement :roll:

Yes lol, but would be nice to know what they are!

stumpyjon

Postby stumpyjon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:26 am

Do most Tesco bike customers know that brakes come in more than one flavour? :lol: Do Tescos know there is more than one type of brake (or which way round a fork goes for that matter :twisted: ).

Maybe they don't need to tell you waht sort of brake they've specced, none of the work anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, hard morning at work, and I needed to kick something, Tesco seems like an ideal candidate, have you seen how much bread costs now (must be subsidising all those top end MTBs they're selling).
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result

Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result

Steve_F

Postby Steve_F » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:17 pm

Maybe these should be used as training bikes. Master any trail with one of these (or suspiciously similar Apollo) and when going back to a proper bike the new level of skill will be out of this world!

Plus no time spent cleaning - just throw it in the bin!

tjm

Postby tjm » Wed Jul 02, 2008 13:13 pm

Good to see that snobbery isn't dead... :lol:

Different bikes for different markets, no-one here is likely to be the target customer for Apollo.

I got a couple of bikes recently for my kids. The eldest (11yo) wanted suspension (because "all proper MTBs have it" so I took her down halfords and got her to try picking up an apollo and then a carerra rigid hybrid and then showed here that the apollo suspension didn't actually do anything. Being a sensible girl she chose the hybrid and (for £200) it is a nice bike and she is very proud of it.

The youngest isn't really old enough (and too girly) to appreciate quality and just wanted something that looked "good" and was different to her sisters. So she ended up with a £100 bike with front "suspension". The fact that it weights 8lbs more than her sisters and even I can't move the front suspension much is irrelevent. She loves the style and the colour and I am 100% sure that it will still be going strong when she outgrows it so what is the problem?

Horses for courses.....

btw. wasn't it someone on here that said his best ever ride was over some mountain in wales on an apollo type bike?

smep

reebok

Postby smep » Fri Jul 11, 2008 21:25 pm

I bought one new off e bay 2 years ago with carbon rear /reba forks and lx discs.Its ok really for what is trouble is no one else thinks so and I can't sell it !!

gbrnole

Postby gbrnole » Fri Jul 11, 2008 23:13 pm

Reebok do a bike with carbon stays?! Wow, please tell us more....

howsmyriding27

Postby howsmyriding27 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 08:29 am

Apollo! When I was 10, I bought an Apollo Vendetta (the longest, heaviest, most awkward riding position ever) - from Halfords! Back then it was the best thing I ever bought and I was chuffed with it - went everywhere on it. I even started doing trails on it and started dirt jumping on it(!), which was probably the stupidest thing I have ever done, but it then led me to get a "decent" mountain bike and take my hobby further.

I now realise what a stupid bike it was, and that it is the worst piece of crap I have ever laid eyes on.

If there weren't these sorts of bikes around, then that age of children would probably never get into the sport!

Now, every time I see an Apollo, I cringe, and take pity that they wasted so much good money on it, but I also remember that everyone starts somewhere, even if it is on a slab of lead with trolley wheels on! It is cycling after all!

Long live the apollo!
Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/

smep

reebok

Postby smep » Sat Jul 12, 2008 13:56 pm

Yes carbon stays quite attractive really e mail to steve smep@smep.karoo.co.uk for pics as I am such a mupet that I dont know how to download pics here.Steve

robotsuk

lmfao

Postby robotsuk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 19:58 pm

lool, my neighbour has a reebok bike, and he thinks its the real deal, forks are shoot, have no lockout or compression adjustment, and the rear shock is bouncy as fark????
wtf

they are shite

jpembroke

Postby jpembroke » Sat Jul 12, 2008 21:26 pm

RBK bikes suck. Give me a Shockwave from Halfords anyday. Or one of those 80lb beasts from Motorworld that cost £79.99. Now that's what I'm talking about.

smep

reebok

Postby smep » Sun Jul 13, 2008 19:22 pm

my reebok singlespeed appears to ride the local trails quite well. it has carbon rear stays,came with lx discs on alex td17 rims /reba sl forks with a truvativ chainset truvativ bars/stem/post.probably ripped off when i bought it new as i cannot sell it on e bay oh well !!

Return to “MTB General”