Dave Hinde bikes - Dodgy?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
sgbman

Dave Hinde bikes - Dodgy?

Postby sgbman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 13:46 pm

Just read this description on their website:
"HINDE L'Etape Sport Bike - Shimano 105 10 Groupset-
Italian build quality with precise Shimano gearing. Complete build weighing in at just 17.5lbs and full Shimano 105 10 Speed kit. A superb combination that will never let you down. Built to your own exacting requirements regarding sizing/gearing at no extra cost over listed price. A superb value for money bike to suit everyone's pocket. Doubles up perfectly as a high end winter training bike when fitted with SKS RaceBlade guards. Ideal for any entry level cyclist after a 10 speed bike and looking for a good level of kit without wanting to break the bank. All the latest kit and built to order, a superb price. Price £644.95 ea."

Well I bought one of these a few months ago, at £580, same spec with RS10 wheels, and I was told that the weight would be about 17.5lbs. Very good I thought.
But when I weighed it at home it was 22lbs with 300gm(pr) pedals on. This makes it nearer to 21lbs net. Quite a big difference, and mine was the 2008 spec version.
Also, the frame was a little different, there was a 1inch clearance between rear wheel and seatstay, not tight like on pics, on my 54cm frame.
Please beware if you order from these people.
Also the review in CW of one of their bikes is actually an advert in discuise :evil:

Special K

Postby Special K » Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:04 pm

I do not own a barge-pole. If I did, I wouldn't touch Dave Hinde with it. The world of cycling is full of fabulous shops and suppliers often staffed with underpaid under appreciated but knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff. There are great sites like wiggle that offer consistency and service. None are faultless, but none are worth straying away from for the sake of dealing with Dave Hinde.

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:17 pm

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

aarw

Postby aarw » Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:24 pm

avoid dave hinde at all costs if you know what's good for you. seriously.

think of the worst customer service you have ever experienced in any trade and you are still no-where near to realising just how bad they are. really can't stress it enough, so i'll say it again.....stay away.

just google dave hinde to get the a little insight.

on the road

Re: Dave Hinde bikes - Dodgy?

Postby on the road » Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:59 pm

sgbman wrote:Just read this description on their website:
Italian build quality with precise Shimano gearing. Complete build weighing in at just 17.5lbs and full Shimano 105 10 Speed kit. A superb combination that will never let you down. Built to your own exacting requirements regarding sizing/gearing at no extra cost over listed price. A superb value for money bike to suit everyone's pocket. Doubles up perfectly as a high end winter training bike when fitted with SKS RaceBlade guards. Ideal for any entry level cyclist after a 10 speed bike and looking for a good level of kit without wanting to break the bank. All the latest kit and built to order, a superb price. Price £644.95 ea."

Well I bought one of these a few months ago, at £580, same spec with RS10 wheels, and I was told that the weight would be about 17.5lbs. Very good I thought.
But when I weighed it at home it was 22lbs with 300gm(pr) pedals on. This makes it nearer to 21lbs net. Quite a big difference, and mine was the 2008 spec version.
Also, the frame was a little different, there was a 1inch clearance between rear wheel and seatstay, not tight like on pics, on my 54cm frame.
Also the review in CW of one of their bikes is actually an advert in discuise :evil:
Oh dear, you should have come here first.

schlepcycling

Postby schlepcycling » Tue Sep 16, 2008 15:00 pm

aarw wrote:avoid dave hinde at all costs if you know what's good for you. seriously.

think of the worst customer service you have ever experienced in any trade and you are still no-where near to realising just how bad they are. really can't stress it enough, so i'll say it again.....stay away.

just google dave hinde to get the a little insight.

+1
'Hello to Jason Isaacs'

giant man

Postby giant man » Tue Sep 16, 2008 15:42 pm

There are countless examples of customers getting diddled by this outfit. Sorry to hear you got popped by this lame excuse of an LBS.

Gav2000

Postby Gav2000 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 16:12 pm

17.5lb for a bike costing £600 would have been amazing, I'm not sure there's one out there with that combination.
Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
You'll hear about him ever'where you go.

aarw

Postby aarw » Tue Sep 16, 2008 18:18 pm

it's still against trading standard surely?

Cougar

Postby Cougar » Tue Sep 16, 2008 18:28 pm

I particularly like this post from the previous Dave Hinde thread from SDP

"once "went in the shop ( staff incredibly rude ) asked for a Dura ace rear mech ...was told to "make do " with a 105 ...said i wanted a DA as rest of bike was...

Dave ( i know it was him from his TT days ) offered to sandpaper off teh 105 logo & write on dura-ace in black marker & said i wouldnt know the difference..
...i drove down to rourkes instead

Unquote

:D

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Tue Sep 16, 2008 18:30 pm

You can sue through the court service online facility Moneyclaimonline. It is easy to do, however your problem will be proving the claim they made regarding the weight - it is an illegal sales puff and goods were not "as described". You have a clear cut case, but evidence is your problem. However, if it was (and still is) advertised as such on their web site that should do the trick.

Dave Hinde, as others have suggested, are simply the worst company I have ever encountered in ANY sphere. By the way, they already have an ASA adjudication against them, for advertising goods for sale that they don't have.

Write a recorded delivery letter headed "Notice Prior to Action" giving them 7 days to arrange a full refund and collection of the bike at their cost, or you will sue. Almost all companies cave in at this point, Dave Hinde won't. Do a little bit of research on http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ then sue online. May cost you £40 ish, but the fees (and all your other costs) are added to the claim.

Also - make a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority

aarw

Postby aarw » Tue Sep 16, 2008 18:47 pm

described on their website as 17.5:
http://davehinde.veriovps.co.uk/Merchan ... 1bc360eca8

roadrider84

Postby roadrider84 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 19:21 pm

This is highly amusing. Talk about totally condemning Dave Hinde.

I've just googled him, truly awful feedback.

mufcsuperreds

Postby mufcsuperreds » Sat Aug 22, 2009 00:01 am

Having visited a good number of cycle shops in pursuit of buying a road bike for my 14 year old son I have to state that the help given by Dave personally was invaluable. Giant Y Specialized have lost out to DHB!

Maybe you have a short attention span, mine lasts for a good while!

I have nothing but praise for Dave and his team/

sgbman wrote:Just read this description on their website:

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Aug 22, 2009 05:24 am

Hmmm, this happened last time IIRC, someone's first ever post on a Dave Hinde thread and is giving them praise...

Does look kind of suspicious! :wink:

I went in after a new pair of wheels once, having not heard of the issues. They were downright rude and very unhelpful so I left.

fast as fupp

Postby fast as fupp » Sat Aug 22, 2009 07:14 am

[quote="mufcsuperreds"]Having visited a good number of cycle shops in pursuit of buying a road bike for my 14 year old son I have to state that the help given by Dave personally was invaluable. Giant Y Specialized have lost out to DHB!

where was this shop you got such great service?

[

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Sat Aug 22, 2009 13:16 pm

mufcsuperreds wrote:Having visited a good number of cycle shops in pursuit of buying a road bike for my 14 year old son I have to state that the help given by Dave personally was invaluable. Giant Y Specialized have lost out to DHB!

Glad to hear he's cleaned up his act - I had to use a successful ebay fraud claim to get most of my money back off him.
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

manick0de

Postby manick0de » Sat Aug 22, 2009 16:14 pm

Not sure bud didn't he operate on ebay as "Number1BikeBits" or something to that effect?

KillerMetre

Postby KillerMetre » Sat Aug 22, 2009 17:43 pm

Google is your friend...but not if your Dave Hinde.

NitrousOxide

Postby NitrousOxide » Sat Aug 22, 2009 17:55 pm

In answer to the thread title... *Nods*

Return to “Workshop”