froglegs brakes

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
inseine

froglegs brakes

Postby inseine » Tue Oct 28, 2008 15:29 pm

I've got these brakes on my winter bike and the performance seems awful. The are set up OK but they just don't grab the rim properly so that (especially in the wet) if you push the bike at standstll with the front brake full on it is still possible to turn the wheel.
Are there better pads available or am I missing something. Maybe they are just not powerful enough for road use?

cougie

Postby cougie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 17:23 pm

That is a bit crap isnt it ? Have they ever worked well ?

I'd get some Tektro dual pivot brakes or something similar - you may be spending money on brake blocks for no extra benefit.

Blonde

Postby Blonde » Tue Oct 28, 2008 18:52 pm

They are commonly seen on cyclo X bikes and tourers - so good for stopping a fairly heavy bike in mud etc, so they ought to work well. It may be that they are not set up very well or are worn or dirty. I have no experience of frog legs/cantis but have had endless problems with V-brakes (even decent Shimano XT ones) - the sprigs often stick (you actually need to clean them and clean and re-grease the pivots every so often. It is also very easy to put the wheels in slightly off centre so that the brakes, although set up centered are no longer in a central position on the wheel so that they are less effective. As previous person said it is possible that they are a low quality make, but there is no reason why a good pair of frog leg brakes should not be effective so I'd check wear, set-up (including cable pull problems or stretched cables) and cleanliness first. Brake cables, ( even new ones) can also stretch, so you might just need to adjust the brakes closer to the rim and/or manually pull through any obviously loose cable before tightening.

jpembroke

Postby jpembroke » Tue Oct 28, 2008 18:59 pm

Poor mechanical advantage probably. Try lower the straddle cable down towards the wheels. That should make them a bit snappier. Look on Sheldon Brown for more info in setting up canti brakes and mechanical advantage.

Mister W

Postby Mister W » Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:21 pm

I assume they're properly adjusted so they're close enough to the rim?

Are you using the right levers? Different levers pull different amounts of cable so yours might not be pulling enough.

inseine

Postby inseine » Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:45 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'll try shortening the straddle cable for a kick off.
I can't use dual pivot brakes because the clearance is too great and actually they feel good to use, nice and smooth with no play or overly long lever movement, they just don't stop well.

inseine

Postby inseine » Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:45 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'll try shortening the straddle cable for a kick off.
I can't use dual pivot brakes because the clearance is too great and actually they feel good to use, nice and smooth with no play or overly long lever movement, they just don't stop well.

Monowai

Postby Monowai » Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:13 pm

this has been discussed extensively on Weight Weenies and elsewhere over the internet. The basics are:

Changing straddle / cable length makes no difference
The stock (grey) pads are crap. Change them for Koolstop Salmons. I also tried BBB Crosstops. These were also crap in my experience.

I have Frogglegs and always thought they were crap, but then recently i stripped the brake cables, "lubed" the inners and outers with WD40 and re-fitted. This resulted in a massive improvement in power and modulation. Seems I had partly rusty cables which was making things pretty bad. Now can lock rear wheels at will and even nearly do a endo on the front brake :lol:

andrewgturnbull

Postby andrewgturnbull » Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:27 pm

Monowai wrote:this has been discussed extensively on Weight Weenies and elsewhere over the internet. The basics are:

Changing straddle / cable length makes no difference
The stock (grey) pads are crap. Change them for Koolstop Salmons. I also tried BBB Crosstops. These were also crap in my experience.

I have Frogglegs and always thought they were crap, but then recently i stripped the brake cables, "lubed" the inners and outers with WD40 and re-fitted. This resulted in a massive improvement in power and modulation. Seems I had partly rusty cables which was making things pretty bad. Now can lock rear wheels at will and even nearly do a endo on the front brake :lol:

Hi there.

Modulation, not stopping power is my problem with frogglegs. When the rims are dry, they are very grabby - do the Koolstop pads improve this? I've been using whatever basic Aztec pads my lbs sells.

Cheers, Andy

Monowai

Postby Monowai » Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:46 pm

Koolstop salmon are meant for wet conditions but work just as good in the dry. can be hard to get hold of, but you can usually source a pair on ebay. If you google froglegs and koolstop salmon, you'll find that it's a frequently recommended combo.

Return to “Workshop”