Puncture Proof Inner Tubes

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
HarveyP23

Puncture Proof Inner Tubes

Postby HarveyP23 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 15:01 pm

I've tried searching for info on the site about puncture proof inner tubes having picked up 2 punctures on my first trip out on my return from a 15 year cycling exile although I only seem to find details on tyres.

The last time I rode I was running pink inner tubes that in the 3 or 4 years I used them never punctured and claimed to be virtually indestructible.

Does anyone remember these and can they tell me if they're still being manufactured ?

Or, given my experience has the manufacturer gone out of business due to the lack of repeat sales ?!!!! :lol:

Any advice would be welcome on whether they're still available or what my alternatives would be ....? Thanks

sheepsteeth

Postby sheepsteeth » Wed Mar 26, 2008 16:55 pm

slime tubes claim to do the job but are heavy:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ner%20Tube

i havent used them myself as i run tubeless but i have heard good things.

JasonRwmb

Postby JasonRwmb » Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:35 pm

I would guess the pink ones could have been latex inner tubes. I remember I had some blue Ritchey ones that where very good. I split the side of a tyre once, and the inner tube ballooned on the outside, when it burst it sounded like a gunshot. :D

You can still buy latex tubes : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360023141

The downside to latex ones is that they loose air fairly quickly.

My wife has slime tubes on one of her bikes and hasn't punctured them in about a year or so. Although I have seen them fail from snakebite punctures.

Tubeless is good enough nowadays that there is a fairly small market for 'puncture proof' inner tubes.

pirate_christoph

Postby pirate_christoph » Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:45 pm

I recently had a fairly similar experience where I managed to get three punctures and I only had two spare tubes with me :( Boo!

I had a discussion with the guys at my LBS who said that going tubeless prob wouldn't be worth the trouble. They basically said that getting three punctures in a row was just bad luck and that I should just carry on with regular tubes and carrying two spares.

Would you guys agree or is tubeless the way forward? If tubeless is the way to go is it easy to implement?

Plus what about other solutions like kevlar strips?

HarveyP23

Postby HarveyP23 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 17:53 pm

Cheers folks. I've spoken to my mate about slime and he says it can be messy if you do get a puncture as it can leak into your tyre - horror stories like that put me off some what !!!

I certainly don't remember having an issue with the latex ones (if that's what they were) that I used to run - I don't remember constantly having to pump them up and as I don't think I'd have the budget to go tubeless (I only paid £300 for the bike) I think latex may suit me best.

Thanks for the advice. 8)

ian_worby

Postby ian_worby » Wed Mar 26, 2008 18:06 pm

Just so you know, the pink ones you're talking about are Air-B tubes, wondefully pink and cover with enough talc to make you look liek a crack dealer

JasonRwmb

Postby JasonRwmb » Wed Mar 26, 2008 18:07 pm

pirate_christoph wrote:Would you guys agree or is tubeless the way forward? If tubeless is the way to go is it easy to implement?

I have only done proper tubeless - so UST rims with UST tyres & sealant. And so far it has been totally puncture proof, I have had thorns in the tyres, but they have sealed within a few seconds of being removed. They also benefit from having more grip, which is really noticeable on wet roots.

There is a bit more faffing to get them set up. Of the two makes of tyres I have the Schwalbes go on with no problem at all, the Michelins are a real pain. However faffing out on the trail is pretty much zero. Tubeless wouldn't be for you if you like to swap tyres alot. On longer rides I do still carry an inner tube, just in case I rip a tyre, but on local rides I don't bother anymore.

My other bike has tubed tyres and I haven't bothered converting to tubeless. When the wheels eventually die I will replace them with UST.

If you are worried about getting lots of punctures while using tubes, it is worth carrying a set of Park patches, so if you run out of tubes so can start patching some up, and maybe save a long walk home.

omegas

Postby omegas » Wed Mar 26, 2008 19:06 pm

What tubes do you have in now, are they lightweight ones as they will puncture very easy.

Other options is change the tubes to heavy ones (downhill tubes) they come up to 1.5mm thick.

Fit tyre liners, they work well but you have to prep them properly before fitting.

gk141054

Re: Puncture Proof Inner Tubes

Postby gk141054 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 20:58 pm

HarveyP23 wrote:The last time I rode I was running pink inner tubes that in the 3 or 4 years I used them never punctured and claimed to be virtually indestructible.

Do you mean these mate?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3636434

HarveyP23

Postby HarveyP23 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 21:42 pm

Hi GK - they weren't but thanks for trying. They were definitely pink and whilst the Air-B name doesn't have an instant ring to it, it could have been them.

Hey it was 15 years ago, no wait, nearer 20 when I bought them so I'd be impressed if any of you remembered them !!! :lol:

I'm only just getting back into it so I'll wait a while on the tubeless idea and either take the DH or latex option. Guess I'm just lazy and really don't want to have to deal with punctures but then who does !!! I'll see what the LBS says. Cheers. H.

Amos

Postby Amos » Wed Mar 26, 2008 21:50 pm

I use to run some of Nokian DH Tubes on my old Cove. There pretty heavy but punctures were never an issue.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=1722

Dav1

Postby Dav1 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 22:39 pm

i have been running the same set of slimes for over a year now, they are superb!

Useless against pinch flats though so make sure you are running at the correct pressure.

pirate_christoph

Postby pirate_christoph » Fri Mar 28, 2008 20:09 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have decided that I am going to carry on with standard tubes for now and see how I get on. I can't really afford to go the whole hog with a proper tubeless set up at this moment in time but I think I am going to add it to my wish list.

I have armed myself with some of the Park patches in case I get another 3 puncture disaster like the other day. If it becomes a constant problem then I think the kevlar strips will have to be an interim solution until I have the cash for the tubeless set up.

The war on punctures has started :)

TimLock

Postby TimLock » Mon Jan 05, 2009 15:29 pm

Have you looked at Blue Tube puncture proof inner tubes? Try bluetube.biz. They're widely used in South Africa where bush thorns are a real problem!!! So should cope with anything UK has to offer!!

Tim

delcol

Postby delcol » Mon Jan 05, 2009 16:33 pm

after a few punctures and the thought of trying to change a tube with freezing cold hands and muddy tyres,, with winter aproaching i decided to take doddys (mbuk guru) advice,.. on one of those free dvds with mbuk towards the end of last year he shows you how to do a tubeless conversion,. or if you dont want to run tubeless then use sealent from joes or stans in your tube..

simply cut the tube with a stanley or craft knife and add the sealent then patch up the hole..

i did this and have not had a punture in months...

Mattmanic

Re: Puncture Proof Inner Tubes

Postby Mattmanic » Mon Jan 05, 2009 23:06 pm

HarveyP23 wrote:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3636434

"Shipping Weight (in pounds): 3.25"

Can't be right can it?

JK in the UK

Postby JK in the UK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 09:14 am

Does no one mend punctures the old fashioned way with the old fashioned glue and patches any more?! I always take spare tubes with me but I wouldn't be walking after running out of fresh tubes!

Running DH tubes is the standard way to reduce punctures. Even better solution is the puncture resistant tubes that Kenda make (and probably others do too). They're an ultra thin 0.6mm on the inside i.e. along the rim and a nice fat 4.6mm along the outside under the tyre tread if I remember correctly. Seems a good solution as keeps the weight down but I've never used them.

Best solution I've found bar tubeless is go to any bike shop (even really crappy Raleigh kids bikes stores) or Halfords and get 'Tyre Liners'. They are made of a dense plastic usually and cost about £7 for the pair (I know brands such as Panaracer do kevlar fibre versions but they work out four times the price). They're pretty thin (1-2mm), light and are a little fiddly to install but take your time to make sure they properly seat under the tread and you won't suffer from any punctures from thorns etc. Absolutely none. Its easiest if you pump the tube up a little before putting the strip between the tube and tyre as this holds the liner in place when seating the second bead of the tyre. I run them on all my bikes and the only punctures I have suffered in the last 6 years are pinch flats (I ride willy nilly over brambles and other thorny things too). I've just pulled a 1cm long thorn out of the rear tyre - no penetration of the liner....

I'm thinking of trying ghetto tubeless just as a bit of an experiment (search 'ghetto tubeless' on youtube or google) but am very happy with the tyre liners. What I don't understand is why these tyre liners aren't manufactured into tyres as standard from the factory. They don't add much stiffness so they're not too detrimental to performance and the gains they offer are huge (which becomes obvious when you're always waiting for others to swap tubes etc!). I like the idea of Stans in the inner tube but I'd deffo stay a LONG way away from the Slime tubes...

Topsey Turvey

Postby Topsey Turvey » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 am

I use Panaracer Flataway strips. They stick onto the inside of your tyre, and are made of kevlar or similar. Not had a puncture in over 2 years. A lot cheaper than tubeless.

Return to “MTB General”