Very overweight - where can i start?

Get fit for riding.
andyonwight

Postby andyonwight » Tue Apr 08, 2008 06:01 am

Craig,

The route to work has an steady incline which is about halfway to work, the object is to get up it without getting off at the moment. So far I can get about halfway up, then get off and walk the rest which gives me time to recover a bit then carry on to work. There are 10 lampposts on it and I am trying to reach number 6 (getting off between 5 and 6).

I do not each much rubbish as I make up soups/stews/curries for work (chinese takeaway containers ideal size for 1) but its the sitting down for 8hrs at a desk that have done me.

So I have a few goals to reach.
1, Get fitter in general, ready for badminton winter season
2, Cycle at least 10-15miles daily by summer.
3, Lose at least 4st (aiming 2lbs a week) for Christmas.

CraigXXL

Postby CraigXXL » Tue Apr 08, 2008 21:42 pm

Steady progress is what it is all about. I know what you mean about the desk job not great for fitness.

tyax

Postby tyax » Sun Apr 13, 2008 21:39 pm

Hi Andy,

I know what you mean, both about hills and about desk jobs - I have a desk job and suck at hills :lol:

I've found a daily half hour walk at work is making a huge difference, if you can manage it I'd recommend it. It's even worth walking thru your lunchbreak and having a "working lunch" if your employer is sympathetic. And this way for me, the cycling at the weekend become something to enjoy, as it's not more boring walking! :D

I until recently had an 8 mile round trip that has a few slopes (I can't call them hills!) and for the first few tries I was always getting off to push. Now I've got a little strength in my legs I find these far easier, and today I extended my ride out to 15 miles and didn't push once, apart from when I got lost and ended up in a muddy field! My thighs are slightly sore this evening, but I hope this will fade as I get used to the longer runs :) I even happened to be in the Glentress area of the Borders today (without bike), took a run into the carpark and spotted a few guys my size, so maybe the offroad stuff isn't as far away as I'd imagined 8)

Anyway, please keep us up to date with your progress, this thread's what got me started and I sincerely hope it isn't allowed to die!

milkywhite

Postby milkywhite » Wed Apr 23, 2008 14:11 pm

Where's Dave gone then? Haven't seen him post in ages.

Beccalily - Great weight loss, nice curves and I love your tats.

Did anybody else misread that the first time? No? Just me?

I'll get my coat.

Woodywmb

Postby Woodywmb » Wed Apr 23, 2008 23:19 pm

Yes, WHERE is Dave Piggott? Could it be that he's lost a load of weight and moved on? Or given up? Hope not. C'mon Dave, we know you're there somewhere.

mtb_addict

Postby mtb_addict » Mon Apr 28, 2008 07:30 am

I posted a little while ago here, having just got into mountain biking. Had quite a bit of success, and lost over a stone in weight....then had a busy period at work (work in finance so can be quite pressured) and Christmas came and went and I hadn't been out on the bike for a couple of months...the result I put on half the weight I'd lost!

I then had a few health issues and generally had a pretty crap first few months this year.

But I dusted myself off and, motivated by the posts here and a renewed desire to get fit and make the most of my life, I've once again started riding, this time with increased motivation.

I've been training hard in the gym (most nights of the week) and getting some rides in during the nice evenings (few and far between recently) and weekends.

I've now lost half a stone and I'm feeling much fitter and generally better about myself. I also did a 30 mile loop on the weekend and surprisingly was still able to walk the next day!

I'm determined to keep this going and summer is just around the corner, so I'm looking forward to more long rides :D

Rob

tyax

Postby tyax » Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Glad to see this is still going, but wish Dave would reappear! Does anyone know how to get in touch with him? :?:

I managed 30 miles this weekend which I'm very chuffed with, 1x10 mile ride and 1x20 mile ride, plus I've bought myself a lock so I've no excuse not to cycle to the shops! Thighs are a wee bit sore today but not so much that I couldn't go for a 1.5 mile walk at lunchtime.

Still not weighed myself since Xmas but all my clothes are now too big for me bought jeans 2 inches smaller and they're still slightly too big 8)

Now looking at doing a 50 mile charity ride later in the year, and myu confidence is starting to grow that I can manage it, so here's hoping :D

CraigXXL

Postby CraigXXL » Mon May 05, 2008 20:30 pm

Good on yer and keep it up. Unfortunately my progress has been going the other way but was out today with the wife and done 21 miles which we really enjoyed although I ache now but will still try and get out again this weekend. Gluten for punishment!

babated

Postby babated » Tue May 20, 2008 14:57 pm

newbie alert.....

If I have posted in the wrong place, can someone move me to the right place lol.

I'm thinking of getting a bike via work with the Cycle to Work Scheme.

Can anyone recommend a bike to a 22 stone woman? :shock:

CraigXXL

Postby CraigXXL » Wed May 21, 2008 22:45 pm

Are you wanting a mountain bike or a commuting style bike. The latter has bigger wheels so little easier to get speed up on but you can fit slick type tyres on a MTB. The commuting style of bike will also be more of an upright position.

Commuting style bike

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86887

or MTB

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86053

I would suggest going to you LBS (local bike shop) to try some out every manufacturer makes their bikes slightly different so one make will be more comfortable than others. It is worth spending the extra for the bike you want as it will cost you more to change in the future. If you find a bike that is almost right for you but don't like the saddle don't afraid to ask them to change it for one that you do like.

At 22st you shouldn't have a problem with the frame strength on the popular brands, I was well over 20st when I got my bike and the only thing that is wearing faster is the drive chain which is common to all bikes.

Good luck and stick with it :D

Rykard

Postby Rykard » Thu May 22, 2008 05:51 am

Where do you live? People may be able to recommend specific shops in that area.
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.

Rykard

Postby Rykard » Thu May 22, 2008 05:53 am

Where do you live? People may be able to recommend specific shops in that area.

I started on an old rigid mtb and then got a hybrid for this year...

Just getting out there is the first big step, good luck :D
Cheers

Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.

900R

Postby 900R » Sun May 25, 2008 20:42 pm

davepiggott13 wrote:Great to read your posts, thanks. All is good in my world. Have adopted a healthy eating pattern with a friend i met through this site and we're helping each other to stick to it. Not at work for a few days now (not complaining mind you) so i'm not gonna get my 3 miles home. Have been to the park today with the kids and wife on our bikes. More tiring to go up and down the hills and over the grass than to ride home steadily! If the weather stays dry (bit of a wuss i know) we'll do the same each day i'm off. And if for some reason we dont go to the park i'll take the bike on the train to the next stop and cycle home (that is the 3 miles i've been riding as i have gotten off a stop earlier). If things progress as they have been i'm almost ready to get off two stops earlier but not quite yet. i already feel fitter. Thanks again all

Hi Dave, i'm not realy in to forums, but i have just spent the last half an hour reading your story ! i'm getting a new Gt next week after not having a bike for 7 years.
Good Luck and keep pedling :lol:

DevUK

Postby DevUK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 15:19 pm

Well, I figure it's time to add myself to this thread! I'm 29 and 5' 7" ish and 21 1/2 stone. I've been overweight forever. It seems to be the thing in my family. Anyway, I'm just starting to cycle more in earnest to loose weight. I normally commute to work and back but it's only about 2.5 miles (though, vicious hill on the way home). I like to think I can cope pretty well on my bike. I can get to work in 10 minutes and home in 12-15. I've been commuting for the last year off and on. Not too bothered about the weather though I could do with some water proofs!

When I started riding again 2 years ago I would do some XC and even the odd mountain ride every now and then, as well as the commute. That dropped off as my riding buddies moved house (we were sharing a house at the time).

Anyhow, I have a Trek 7.5FX hybrid which is doing me well. I'm always a bit concerned about the wheels, but they've been pretty much fine (straightened the rear once in 8 months of ownership so far). This week I've started taking the long way home which takes in some nice scenery and has a few good hills to get up. I'm finding the first hill, which is probably the worst, is already getting easier. My home commute is now 6 miles, making 7.5 miles per day total.

Now I need to sort out the eating patterns. I need to settle into 3 meals a day and leave out the snacking etc. I'm trying to make sure I have more than a cup of tea for breakfast and eat a better lunch. I also need to have a meal in the evening, as this often either gets skipped or is something snacky.

My goals are obviously to loose weight, but really I want to see the waist sizes dropping... That will feel more of an achievement, having been hovering around the same waist size for the last 10 years.

Anyhow. Fingers crossed I'll log my progress here!

Cheers

Steve.
FCN Daily commute = 11
FCN Fixie commute = 5

tyax

Postby tyax » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Good for you Steve! I know what you mean about seeing the waste sizes drop. Since I started cycling earlier this year I've lost about four inches off my waist, it would be more if not for the beer! But I seem to be losing weight from everywhere, even the manboobs are getting flatter :lol: I'm still over 20st but I've never been fitter as an adult 8) My goal was always to get fit and not worry about weightloss/inch loss, so I'm quite happy with my results so far.

With regards to eating, you're right about the 3 meals a day, I used to avoid breakfast entirely which meant eating crap for the rest of the day. Now I have a reasonably sized breakfast (60-70g of cereal, fresh orange) and a healthy fruit/cereal bar-type thing in the mid-morning, and I never need a massive lunch then.

Let us know how you get on!

Also, update to my progress: I've exceeded my expectations by managing a 40-odd mile towpath run yesterday, in foul weather to boot! got covered in mud, soaked too, but glad I done it 8) Next is to get in some long runs with hills involved :shock:

MrVanilla

Postby MrVanilla » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 am

Hi all,
I'm a noob to the forum but also need to get myself in shape. Currently 32, 6"3 and weighing in at around 20 stone, also a 30 a day smoker, and a 6 cans of Kronenberg a night drinker.
Target is to get down to around 16st, non smoker and occasional drinker.
Used to be really into Mountain biking in the late 90's but have let myself slip somewhat (judging by the above, read that as "alot"!). I've got a quit date (for both the smoking/drinking) on the 1st September so I thought what better way to keep myself occupied in the evening than go for a nice cycle.
I bought a Kona Hoss in 2005 that has been used about 6 times so that's my trusty steed. Off to Snowdonia over the bank holiday weekend where I'll primarily be going up Snowdon and then tackling some trails around Betwys-y coed with the missus.
I suspect i'll also have to change my eating habits too as there's definatley too many pizzas in my current "diet" lol.
A bit worried about making all these changes at one time but if I don't start somewhere I can see myself being dead by 40 (thats if the trek up Snowdon this weekend doesn't kill me)
Anyway, i'm off to tackle the Ashover circuit this afternoon from the White Peak Mountain Biking trail book, so wish me luck :-)
Cheers
Leon

Oceanblue

Postby Oceanblue » Sun Feb 08, 2009 08:27 am

Just wondering if this thread is shut as the last two pages appear to be blank. However if it isn't I've just bought a bike having been 21.5 st last August and been on the turbo trainer for the past 6 months and now weight 18st 12.5lbs. Can't wait to get out as this thread has been so inspirational...

Specialized27

Postby Specialized27 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 16:51 pm

I would suggest a Commencal Normal Disc 09 - A great bike for the money £390 at http://www.bikesapart.com/2009-commenca ... 1411-p.asp

Specialized27

Postby Specialized27 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 16:52 pm

I would suggest a Commencal Normal Disc 09 - A great bike for the money £390 at http://www.bikesapart.com/2009-commenca ... 1411-p.asp

Specialized27

Postby Specialized27 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 16:52 pm

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”