Halfords bike for mudguards.

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
andyrr

Halfords bike for mudguards.

Postby andyrr » Mon May 18, 2009 11:34 am

I'm considering buying a new commuter/winter trainer bike through Halfords on the C2W scheme.
One major issue is that I'd really want to have full-length guards fitted in place of the raceblades that were the only option on the bike I was using for a fair proportion of this past winter.
Can anyone advise if they know whether any of the bikes that Halfords stock allow this (ie have front and rear guard eyes ?) - looking at their website doesn't seem to indicate any of their bikes around the £50 - £700 mark have the required eyes on front or rear.
I know that there may be the option of sourcing a bike from outside the Halfords stable of brands but at present I'm just looking at the simplest option for the scheme.

Moomin23

Postby Moomin23 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 am

I thought this was a swap deal, I'd still keep my mudguards!!
I want to come back as Niki Gudex's seat

andyrr

Postby andyrr » Fri May 29, 2009 11:05 am

I have 1 day left to decide whether I sign up for the bike2work or not.
The only purchase that makes sense at the moment is a good commuter/trainer-type bike and it would need to accomodate full mudguards.
Don't see a Halfords/Boardman bike that would do that - I quite fancy a fixed-gear bike but my commute is a 35 mile round trip over very rolling terrain and much of my winter training rides are pretty hilly too so a geared bike seems to be the sensible choice.
Wondering now whether there is another bike that Halfords would source that woudl fit the bill : I believe they can source Specialized ?
Maybe the Tricross ?
Checking the Specialized website they show the 2009 model as having 105/Ultegra kit and a compact double whilst elsewhere, eg Evans, shows Tiagra and a triple.
One bike they had in my local Edinburgh store was the Voodoo scandium-framed C-X bike but their website indicates it can't be ordered at the moment so either in short supply or being discontinued. It has guard mounts I think (front fork has them for sure)

Confused and running out of time ....

stfc1

Postby stfc1 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:27 am

The Carrera Valour takes full mudguards front and back.

redvee

Postby redvee » Fri May 29, 2009 11:30 am

Moomin23 wrote:I thought this was a swap deal, I'd still keep my mudguards!!

+1 :lol:

soy_sauce

Postby soy_sauce » Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 am

sign up for it first for the amount you would like to spend then decide which bike you want afterward. you have to receive and have your voucher in hand before they will order bike in for you, if you want to go for another brands. also go into one of their store to check out their bike regarding of the mudguards.

which scheme is your company running? bikescheme and cycle2work scheme are different even though them both from Halfords and it is cycle2work scheme which can source you bike which they don't sell.
"It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08

andyrr

Postby andyrr » Fri May 29, 2009 12:05 pm

Yup, cycle2work is the one our place operates and hidden away in the FAQs is the mention of the following :
Question:
Can I select any bicycle and accessories in a Halfords store?
Answer:
.... If you have a preferred brand that Halfords don’t ordinarily stock you should contact Halfords cycle2work team .. who will, subject to availability, source your bicycle.
I guess a £800 LoC is the one for me !

2tired2ride

Postby 2tired2ride » Fri May 29, 2009 21:26 pm

andyrr wrote:I have 1 day left to decide whether I sign up for the bike2work or not.

Confused and running out of time ....

The Boardman hybrids take full length mudgaurds as long as you don't run Marathon plus tyres as there are too tall and there is not enough space as the clearences are tight.
"If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
Boardman Road Team 09
Boardman Urban Team 08
Falcon 3 Speed

FOAD

Postby FOAD » Sat May 30, 2009 00:15 am

All of the Carrera's do I m pretty sure.

simmo3801

Postby simmo3801 » Sat May 30, 2009 03:39 am

Look at Ribbles website for their winter bikes as they come with full length guards. They get good reviews and lots of folk on here have them.
Giant Anthem X3 2013

Return to “Road Buying Advice”