Very overweight - where can i start?

Get fit for riding.
Ditch Witch

Postby Ditch Witch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 07:40 am

helen984 wrote:
Aux1 wrote:<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dsmiff</i>
<br />mountain bikes aren't great on the road.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hmm, I always felt surprised how good you could ride them both on and off road, IMO they are the ultimate multipurpose bikes. I ride mine on road every day and it just flies! I have 26"x1.9" tyres.

I was going to say that too! My hardrock is on 'knobbly' Michelins and it still zips along on tarmac with very little effort! It goes like feck knows what! :O Also, consider pothole potential; mountain bike tyres are cracking on flaky tarmac (Gives a nice advantage in the wet too, more grip!)

I agree. I hate riding road bikes around here because the road conditions in Surrey are just appalling, with potholes you can hide a buffalo in.
I ride like a girl
Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
www.ditchwitch.me.uk
www.darksnow.co.uk
Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04

Hitby

Postby Hitby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 08:11 am

Hi all, I've read through this thread and I'm amazed at how well you're all doing - such an inspiration!

I'm 6'2", 18stone, and fed up of my beer belly!

I bought a bike to take out on the trails with my mates but I'm after reading this I'm going to try and get out every other day on the roads. I went out and had a few beers last night and bought peri chicken on the way home - I felt pretty grotty when I got up this morning and guilty so I got up jumped on my bike and went for my first ride :) It was great, I love it! I managed to do 8 miles in 45 minutes so I think I might stick to this same route for the time being as it's a pretty nice circuit.

This was my route - http://tinyurl.com/mos8h2

And this...this is my trusty steed. It's an 09 Marin Northside Trail standard apart from DMR-V8 pedals

XxxBFGxxX

Postby XxxBFGxxX » Sat Jul 25, 2009 09:33 am

Hitby wrote:Hi all, I've read through this thread and I'm amazed at how well you're all doing - such an inspiration!

I'm 6'2", 18stone, and fed up of my beer belly!

I bought a bike to take out on the trails with my mates but I'm after reading this I'm going to try and get out every other day on the roads. I went out and had a few beers last night and bought peri chicken on the way home - I felt pretty grotty when I got up this morning and guilty so I got up jumped on my bike and went for my first ride :) It was great, I love it! I managed to do 8 miles in 45 minutes so I think I might stick to this same route for the time being as it's a pretty nice circuit.

well done chap

and i am lad i am on a not drinking thing at the moment. well its been 2 weeks but thats good for me.

Hitby

Postby Hitby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 09:53 am

Nice one, to be honest, I don't think I'll ever give up the alcohol, I enjoy it too much :) I quit smoking though a year ago after 15 years of that so never say never.

Congrats on two weeks off the booze though :shock: Got to be hard!

edit: oops - just realised I'm posting in the wrong thread lol. I should be in the fat club thread!

XxxBFGxxX

Postby XxxBFGxxX » Sat Jul 25, 2009 09:56 am

Hitby wrote:Nice one, to be honest, I don't think I'll ever give up the alcohol, I enjoy it too much :) I quit smoking though a year ago after 15 years of that so never say never.

Congrats on two weeks off the booze though :shock: Got to be hard!

edit: oops - just realised I'm posting in the wrong thread lol. I should be in the fat club thread!

it is mate i drink all the time but am getting sick of waking up feeling like shoot to be honest.

Hitby

Postby Hitby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 09:59 am

XxxBFGxxX wrote:it is mate i drink all the time but am getting sick of waking up feeling like shoot to be honest.

Yeah, I think that's my problem, I don't really suffer from bad hangovers (unless I've been on the vodka redbulls), If I did it might make me more likely to try and give up. One step at a time though! Food is my major downfall though, I love it :D

puffingirl

very overweight, where do I start?

Postby puffingirl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 20:02 pm

1st time on this kind of forum, so hope I am following the procedure ok.
I noticed at least one other person cycling at 22 - 23 stone, and I wanted to know what kind of bike (or maybe what kind of wheels/tyres) they have? I never had a bike as a child, and only rarely used one as an adult. I have now become massively overweight, and it is a struggle to cycle at all, but I am determined to get going, as it is something we can do as a family. I am also too overweight to do much in the way of walking.
My concern is whether my bike/tyres/wheels can take my weight. I have a ladies mountain style bike with steel rimmed wheels with road tyres. My concern about whether the tyres are flattened when I am on the bike is distracting me from the basics like balancing! Do those of you who started at 20st. plus have special tyres?
Hope this makes sense, and if not, then at least gives you a giggle.

TimesLikeThese

Postby TimesLikeThese » Sun Aug 09, 2009 21:01 pm

Hi Puffingirl
you may want to look at the fat club thread
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12628247
There is a link to a FAQ in the opening post about weights on bikes and so many other starter questions it may be useful.
Some of our members put 30+ stone on their mountain bikes so your light weight should be nothing to worry about. A regular mountain bikes tyres will be able to handle it. If your tyres are pumped up towards the top end of the pressure range you should be fine. So you may need a pressure guage on a pump for that.

backtocycling20

Hiya

Postby backtocycling20 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 13:56 pm

I find reading all this such an inspiration to myself. I actually am sorting out my mountain bike this weekend so that I can get back out there.

I am 15 stone 4 and I just want my fitness back to chase my little girl of 3 round more. I had a very bad pregnancy and actually lost weight pregnant, then when I could eat I did, that along with other personal problems. I can not afford the gym but in any case I just love being outdoors so going back to cycling seems ideal for me, be it off road as I am not that confident on the road.

So I will defo be joining you all and catching up with how you are all getting on. Can anyone recommend how long a ride to go out for at first and how often? Also how often to increase the length of time etc. I also dunno how I can get a sore bum with so much padding but I do so any tips on that appreciated.

Many thanks.

reckless_rat

Postby reckless_rat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:46 pm

GO FOR IT FAT GUY !!!!! I WAS ONCE 20 STONE 6FT 1 TALL ANT TO BE HONEST I USED TO RIDE ONCE A WEEK THEN TWICE NOW I RIDE 4-5 TIMES A WEEK BETWEEN 2 -3 HRS A DAY AND IM AROUND 17 STONE - I COULD LOOSE MORE WEIGHT BY EATING A LITTLE MORE HEALTHILY BUT I LIKE MY PIZZAS TOO MUCH LOL

JUST BECAUSE YOUR BIG DOSNT MEAN U CANT RIDE I HAVE A TREK 6700 AND A GIANT TRANCE 2 !! THERE BRILL I GOT THEM WHEN I WAS 20 STONE AND THERE STILL GOING STRONG !!!

reckless_rat

Postby reckless_rat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 13:01 pm

Backtocycling !!

Take it easy for the first few rides try 1 hr 2x a week - just to get you out of breath as your muscles will ache for a while too then steadily increase the length of the ride to 90 mins - when the little one gets older put her in a trailer and go up hill as you will be fit enough by then and tis will gefo increase your cardio fitness !!

go for it girl - nuff respect !

mtb_addict

Postby mtb_addict » Fri Aug 21, 2009 07:26 am

Ditch Witch wrote:
mtb_addict wrote:Hi Guys - I've posted a couple of times in this thread and have had mixed success in trying to lose weight! I suffer from high blood pressure and am on tablets for this.

I finally decided to get of my a*se once and for all and bought a road bike :o via my company's cycle to work scheme. I also entered the London Bikeathon which I'm taking part in on 19 July.

With some determination and a goal to aim for - get fit for my 26 mile Bikeathon ride the weight is coming off (I'm down from 15st 7lbs to 13st 11lbs in 3 months) and my blood pressure also seems to have lowered. I'm feeling much more confident (being able to tighten my belt to its highest notch helps!) and really enjoying being out on my bike.

Just thought I'd post this as I'm sure there are others reading the forums who a looking for motivation and I just wanted to show that you can do it - I try to get out on the bike whenever I can and mix it with gym sessions - I'm currently cycling a minimum of 100 miles a week either out on the road or in the gym. Sure I've hit a few plateaus, but rather than lose heart I've just trained harder and eventually the weight does start moving, so don't give up.

I really love my cycling now and just wish I'd done something earlier!!

Good luck to all in a similar situation.

How'd you get on?

Hi ditchwitch - did really well thanks. Managed to navigate the streets of London and avoid the buses and cars, plus cycle through the rain and completed the course in just under 2 hours!

Have kept up the cycling since and now down to 13st 6lbs, so 2st lost from my initial weight!

sampras38

Postby sampras38 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 16:05 pm

Does anyone know how Dave's doing?

I've only just stumbled on this thread and have skimmed most of it due to time, but it's been a fascinating read and I really hope he hasn't given up.

Anyone heard from him?

new freerider

Postby new freerider » Thu Dec 03, 2009 01:36 am

any news on Dave?

junglist_matty

Postby junglist_matty » Thu Dec 03, 2009 08:22 am

Hi Dave, I've read this post before but never commented...

I'm 25, and weigh 16st 9lbs. I used to be a size 32 waist, well toned and very fit (from rowing and cycling), but then I discovered beer, pubs and nightclubs and soon started getting lazy, I'm now a near 40" waist and I want to be smaller...
So I started up cycling earlier this year after a 3 year break and was going well throughout the whole summer nearly getting down to about 15st, but then the weather turned, I got my car back on the road and became lazy again!! Lost my motivation to get out on my bike and paid the price, now back up to where i started!
The other week I signed up to the pool and have really pushed myself, I started off doing half a mile each session - 32 lengths (which killed me and took about 30mins), I'm now swimming 50 lengths a session (taking about 45mins), I'm aiming for 1 mile (64 lengths) in 30 mins! I find that giving myself aims like this really helps motivation and gives me a reason to get off the sofa and get in the pool for half an hour then after I feel so good. I highly recommend swimming, and if your worried about being half naked in front of loads of people, I wouldn't worry, the pool is a complete mixture of well toned fitness freaks and people looking to get back into shape, its not at all embarrasing and can make you feel really good about yourself.

So if your sat there when its raining hard outside or freezing cold and you really don't wanna get on the bike for a couple of hours get down to the pool and bash out some lengths, it really helps and makes you feel great! Plus swimming is really good because it is one of the least strenuous activities on your joints and is great for your fitness!

weeksy59

Postby weeksy59 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 09:29 am

MAybe a little inspiration for you guys looking to drop the lbs.

Once upon a time i weighed in in the high 19st bracket. I was almost a 40" waist and my fitness was attrocious.

Now it's taken several years, with peaks and troughs... highs and lows...

However today i weigh in at 14st 0 and am less than a 34" waist. I've done this without any of the fad diets, just healthier eating, lots of exercise and trying to be strict.

Keep it up... you can make your goals... and you WILL make your goals....

dedications what you need :wink:

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Thu Feb 25, 2010 13:43 pm

I weighed around 15 stone 3 weeks ago.

I started calorie counting, and I use a spread sheet to record all everything I eat with a target of less than 1500 a day.

I've also started swimming, 5 times a week, a mile each time.

In the 3 weeks I've probably only lost about 5lbs, but its an easily sustainable diet and my fitness has massively increased.

So my advice would be to calorie count, it becomes a bit of a game and at least then you have something to aim for in the near future.

sampras38

Postby sampras38 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 16:13 pm

Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:I weighed around 15 stone 3 weeks ago.

I started calorie counting, and I use a spread sheet to record all everything I eat with a target of less than 1500 a day.

In the 3 weeks I've probably only lost about 5lbs, but its an easily sustainable diet and my fitness has massively increased.

So my advice would be to calorie count, it becomes a bit of a game and at least then you have something to aim for in the near future.

If you're obese when you start to diet, it's likely you will lose a lot very quickly, but in your case you probably should aim for about 1-3 lbs a week, tops. Don't be in a rush to shed the weight too quickly as you'll probably struggle to keep it off. Make a complete lifestyle change that you can sustain long term and I'm sure you'll keep it off. I'm not a huge fan of calorie counting tbh, but I would recommend aiming for around a 500 calorie a week deficit to what you usually eat. 1500 a day seems a bit low to me if I'm honest.

Fantastic Mr Fox

Postby Fantastic Mr Fox » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:28 am

sampras38 wrote:
Fantastic Mr Fox wrote:I weighed around 15 stone 3 weeks ago.

If you're obese when you start to diet, it's likely you will lose a lot very quickly, but in your case you probably should aim for about 1-3 lbs a week, tops. Don't be in a rush to shed the weight too quickly as you'll probably struggle to keep it off. Make a complete lifestyle change that you can sustain long term and I'm sure you'll keep it off. I'm not a huge fan of calorie counting tbh, but I would recommend aiming for around a 500 calorie a week deficit to what you usually eat. 1500 a day seems a bit low to me if I'm honest.

Yeah, I'm aiming for a sustainable diet change.

So at the moment I'm eating 3 meals, small breakfast and lunch with a normal size dinner (like 900 calorie dinner). I've just cut out all extras, like chocolate, crisps, alcohol and cake etc.

I've replaced normal snacks with rice cakes and 10 calorie Hartleys Jelly (its win).

Soon as I'm within BMI I'll keep the exercise but add the normal snacks again.

OwenBird

Postby OwenBird » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Has anyone talked to you about going paleo? A couple of guys on here have mentioned it, and it seems (at least to me) to make a lot of sense.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there, and the sad thing is that the general media seem to be getting it wrong. I've seen a lot of people who want to lose weight cut out all the fun stuff (meat, nuts...meat) and get onto starchy carbs in a big way (spud, pasta, rice) when it seems to be the starchy stuff and refined sugars which are the biggest culprits.

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”