Family stuff

Find out about the BikeRadar Live cycling festival - Brands Hatch July 10-11, 2010
cyclistbruce

Family stuff

Postby cyclistbruce » Mon Jul 12, 2010 06:18 am

I travelled down with my family this year after going on my own last year. Bit dissapointed that there seemed to be less for families this year. There were no family rides this year, unlike the marshalled rides with the CTC guides last year. Also last year you could at least ride around the circuit with the family, I was really annoyed that to do the same this year would cost £10 each! I know that the money was supposed to be going to the BHF, but £10 to cycle around a short tarmac circuit is a bit rich! That would cost a family £27 with a teenager.

gpsBRM

Postby gpsBRM » Mon Jul 12, 2010 08:02 am

I went with my girlfriend and a mate and his wife and wasn't as impressed as last year. Def not very family orientated around the campsite, more stag dos and teenagers getting drunk than anything else. Maybe we camped on an unlucky pitch. Had same trouble trying to find any lead rides etc, went on the sustrans one last year, but nowt like that this time, well not that we could find. Plus way less manufacturers to try bikes out from.

BHF tried to tell us that we had to pay to ride the demo bikes round the circuit, they sent us to the BHF stand then said we needed to pay £20 each to ride round, but we'd get a pen and a T-Shirt. I told them they were wrong and where to go. They had to get there "manager" to clear things up and explain to the chugger on the gate to the track that people on demo bikes could just ride round. Wonder how many people they mugged out of cash?

Redlinethin

Postby Redlinethin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 08:43 am

gpsBRM wrote: Def not very family orientated around the campsite, more stag dos and teenagers getting drunk than anything else.

Yeah, I've noticed the same. Maybe they should introduce drinking ban on the camp sate for next year. If you want to get hammered go to the main tent and leave normal people in peace.

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Mon Jul 12, 2010 09:54 am

So you had your family with you? Were you staying in the family campsite or the main campsite?

As far as I saw, the family one was pretty quiet.

Yes, the main site was fairly noisy until 2-3am on Fri and Sat night in places (it seemed to be quieter the further from the main gates you get), but if you were not expecting that, to put it bluntly, you're a mug!

cyclistbruce - Sorry BHF tried to scam you out of money, but it was fairly easy to find out they were wrong. Any of the demo stalls or Marshalls or crew or indeed 95% of the riders would have been able to confirm that for you.

gpsBRM

Postby gpsBRM » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:07 am

Didn't have a child under 12years old so not allowed on the family camping site. To think that only people with kids would want quiet camping isn't right.

Redlinethin

Postby Redlinethin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:14 am

You should not have a child or bring one if you enjoy quieter camping. Would you enjoy it if you were stuck on the tube with a group of loud, swearing pissheads? NO, I'm not asking for Church like atmosphere, just asking to show some courtesy when you not alone.

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:21 am

I'm not saying that only people with kids under 12 want a good nights kip. But there were areas of the main site (over towards where the camper vans were) that were nice and quiet. If it bothered me that much, I'd have just packed up and moved, it'd only take 30mins. We were quite happy to be more or less right in the middle though.

And no, I'm not a teenager, wasn't on a stag-do, and wasn't getting hammered. Just out for a weekend with the boys having fun.

However... Perhaps a quiet, non-family area might be an idea for next year. It'd be worth a request anyway. :)

Oh, also, I think that if there had been more things for people to do on an evening, the campsite would have been quieter.

Redlinethin

Postby Redlinethin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:32 am

Cat With No Tail wrote: But there were areas of the main site (over towards where the camper vans were) that were nice and quiet. If it bothered me that much, I'd have just packed up and moved, it'd only take 30mins.

We set up camp on the border of the main camp and family not to far from Fish and Chips trailer. 6 of us set up 3 tents early on friday and could not move coz the loud mouths set up near us much later and moving 3 tents with 2 vans load of stuff wasnt an option anymore as there were no spaces left big enough to set up 3 fairly large tents again. So we were suck.

Cat With No Tail wrote:Oh, also, I think that if there had been more things for people to do on an evening, the campsite would have been quieter.

I think you are bang on on the button here buddy! Two problems could have been solved in one go.

Sourmash

Postby Sourmash » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am

I think more varied evening entertainment would have kept the campsite quieter.

The only time electro/house DJ's weren't on was too early in the evening, before most people would have had a chance to get themselves sorted out with BBQs and showers etc. after the daytime events. Should have put the dub/reggae/covers band on later as an alternative to the DJs.

Also I couldn't see any first aid fixed sites anywhere - had to go to one of the bars to beg for ice to deal with a burn. Should have been able to find a first aid tent easily to get a proper ice pack. If there was one there, it wasn't sign posted clearly enough.

Kim10

Postby Kim10 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 08:35 am

I agree with many of the above points. We attended Bikeradar Live for the first time, so can't compare against previous events. I have two kids aged 12 and 5 and we camped in the family area. At this kind of event we all expected things to be a bit loud and maybe we were lucky with the position of our tent but we did not hear too much noice and we were fare enough from the main tent not to hear the not so impressive evening entertainment.
All in all we had a great weekend, but to the organisers I do agree it would be welcome with more family activities.
Will be back next year though, and hope the organisers will address some of the suggestions made.

Return to “BikeRadar Live 2010”