Trek Fuel EX's

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
Bloober

Trek Fuel EX's

Postby Bloober » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:56 am

Hey all,
Looking at buying a Trek Fuel EX soon (cant find a decently priced frame so whole bike it is!) and had a couple of q's.

Does anyone know the frame weights of the 2011 or 2010 models?
    Would the alloy VS magnesium EVO link save much weight?
    I have read a lot of instances where people have cracked their Trek Fuel EX frame - would this result in a nasty crash or would you just be able to stop after hearing/seeing it?
    Can somebody who has tried the ABP and DRCV shock against Maestro shed some light on if it is just all a big marketing gimmick or it actually works?
    How would a Trek Fuel EX compare to a Trance or Anthem in terms of ride characteristics?

Cheers guys[/list]

D-Cyph3r

Re: Trek Fuel EX's

Postby D-Cyph3r » Sat Sep 18, 2010 13:56 pm

Bloober wrote:Does anyone know the frame weights of the 2011 or 2010 models?

I dont think i've ever seen a frame weight for an EX. But considering the full bike weighs around 28lbs with a fairly heavy stock finishing kit and wheelset i'd predict it'd be pretty decent.

Bloober wrote:Would the alloy VS magnesium EVO link save much weight?

I guess it depends on your idea of weight saving. I doubt it'd be a noticeable difference though.

Bloober wrote:I have read a lot of instances where people have cracked their Trek Fuel EX frame - would this result in a nasty crash or would you just be able to stop after hearing/seeing it?

I've not heard of a EX frame suffering from a catastrophic failure, usually cracks around the BB shell and rear triangle. 1 thing to consider in this regard is Trek's great reputation for warranty and replacement... more than a few times i've heard of people getting a nice (sometimes carbon) upgrade on a cracked frame).

Bloober wrote:Can somebody who has tried the ABP and DRCV shock against Maestro shed some light on if it is just all a big marketing gimmick or it actually works?

I haven't ridden a Maestro bike before, but I have had a little go on an 09 EX8 and the DRCV rear shock is a noticeable improvement. You only have to read the reviews from the professionals to see the praise the new shock gets.

Bloober wrote:How would a Trek Fuel EX compare to a Trance or Anthem in terms of ride characteristics?

Well the EX8 won What Mountain Bik's Bike Of The Year, nuff said? :P

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”