So proud of my amazing girl(s)

Want to get your kids on two wheels? Got any general 'family biking' questions? Chat here
baudman

So proud of my amazing girl(s)

Postby baudman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 22:38 pm

Becoming a semi-regular event, to give SWMBO a break, is taking the girls for a ride. Sometimes just Thing1 (4.5), but often Thing2 (19m) as well, because she just adores it (and chats almost as much as the bigger one).

At four and a half, Thing1's cycling is SO good. She still struggles a little with getting started, but can do it with encouragement.

The gearing on her bike means some rises are beyond her (she is only quite slight), but distances... well, I let her dictate that.

The long and winding road (over 4 miles solo).

Thing2 watches on, from her BoBike mini seat.

Circle work - I need to find somewhere not too far away that has no car traffic, but is big enough to draw a larger figure-8. This one was a little too tight for her. But her balance at slow speeds is phenomenal. (I attribute that solely to many hours on the RunBike - still her main method of transport).

The rig for the rest of the return journey - but stopping at a playground first, as you do.[/img]
Last edited by baudman on Wed Oct 06, 2010 03:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike

redvee

Re: So proud of my amazing girl(s)

Postby redvee » Tue Oct 05, 2010 22:55 pm

baudman wrote:The rig for the rest of the return journey - but stopping at a playground first, as you do.[/img]

Dad needs to play sometime doesn't he? or was it fot the daughter :lol:

ps. Hate these pics, glorious warm sunshine in October and we have to faqce dark cold mornings :lol: Wish I saw more of Melbourne the time I was there other than the taxi from the railway station to the airport.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 22:56 pm

Awesome... let's hope she keeps it up! I might have to try some 'skills' for my son - I've two but only one is a keen cyclist. We have just progressed onto bridle paths - but I think some slalom challenges sound good fun (and I may learn something too).

Nice pics... I'm glad you decided to share them. :D

baudman

Re: So proud of my amazing girl(s)

Postby baudman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 03:45 am

redvee wrote:... glorious warm sunshine in October and we have to faqce dark cold mornings :lol: Wish I saw more of Melbourne the time I was there other than the taxi from the railway station to the airport.

You do knowthis was written about Melbourne, don't you? :lol: (OK... and a girl, but mainly Melbourne... it's a duality thing).

If you watched the UCI World Championships, we were doing this around the time the Elite Women's race started. The next day (even nicer) we headed down to the start of the Men's. But, during that week, we had wind, and rain. And today, it's POURING outside.

Thing1 on SWMBO's shoulder, with Thing2 in the CargoBike (SWMBO's commuter in the foregroud).
More UCI Worlds pix herebtw, should anyone be interested. (Oh, and some more from what we did the rest of the day - sorry... ).
Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike

Mike Healey

Postby Mike Healey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 20:42 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:Awesome... let's hope she keeps it up! I might have to try some 'skills' for my son - I've two but only one is a keen cyclist. We have just progressed onto bridle paths - but I think some slalom challenges sound good fun (and I may learn something too).

You might try findin a Go-Ride club near you, if there is one.
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder
Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/

baudman

Postby baudman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 02:46 am

More pride. Waiting for the slowest rider in the group.

nikstar1

Postby nikstar1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:00 pm

very cute

nikstar1

Postby nikstar1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 am

Have you got any more pics? it's lovely to see a family riding together, it seems to be a dying sport.

baudman

Postby baudman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 21:00 pm

Took this one this morning.

"One day..."

This is one of my faves too

Circle work, in the local Primary School playground (yeah, I found somewhere, really close by)

baudman

Postby baudman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 01:38 am

(Sorta) recreation of pic above.
Last trip to childcare for 2010. Bigger one starts school next year.

Hmm... I'm thinking I may have to fork out for a NutCase Little Nutty. Smaller one has grown out of her helmet, and that one I put her in was always cr@p on the bigger one.

digdaniels

Postby digdaniels » Thu Dec 23, 2010 20:04 pm

Wow, these are great! I better get some pictures of my girl up here, when she is going down the Oregon coast, or up Mt. Hood. She's totally keeping up with her old men (well, almost...). She's just terrific.
Spam sig deleted.

baudman

Postby baudman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 22:24 pm

And one from last night... commute home from childcare - the whole family riding together.

baudman

Postby baudman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 22:03 pm

A few firsts in the last days.

First real off-road ride, at the YouYangs.

First hill. OK, not really a hill, but she did surprise me getting up a number of steepish, longish rises.

New helmet. Her (eventual) colour choice.

Replaced the stock plastic ones (just starting to break). She put a smidge of grease on them, and screwed them on by hand, and then helped with the pedal spanner.
VERY happy this retro/cruiser popularity means you can get half-decent 1/2 inch pedals.

(OK, not the first for this one).
Last edited by baudman on Tue Jan 11, 2011 00:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

tptvmbircn

Postby tptvmbircn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 21:27 pm

bless them, that is so cute. I've got a 18 month who has her first trike on a handle, she's so obsessed in dad's bike too so hopefully will follow in the footsteps later down the line too :)

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 21:17 pm

It's awesome when the little ones can ride. We had a lovely ride in the Park yesterday and now my eldest one wants to ride with me when I'm in my club kit. :D
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Gussio

Postby Gussio » Tue Jan 11, 2011 09:21 am

Lovely photos - thanks for sharing. The cycle path by the lake looks wonderful. Our oldest will graduate from a balance bike to a pedal bike in May. Almost worth considering relocating to Melbourne!

baudman

Postby baudman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 am

Gussio wrote:The cycle path by the lake looks wonderful.

Maribyrnong River Trail. Left-hand side of the river, leading up to a manufactured lake. The lower left of the image in the link is Flemington Race Course, home of the Melbourne Cup. (Seen in the background of the family rig shot). This is about a 10 min ride from our place.

About a 1 min ride from our place is another park - three ovals, that also includes a BMX track and skate park. The ovals have a jogging track encircling them.

It really is a perfect place for kids to practice how to ride. 8)

ETA - we've had a bit of rain of late, but nothing like what there's been elsewhere in Australia, thankfully.
First 'ford'.

baudman

Postby baudman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:40 am

National Ride2School Day today here in Australia
And, quite a lot of scooters out the front of most of the classrooms

CarleyB

Postby CarleyB » Thu Mar 17, 2011 16:40 pm

Those pictures are fab. Thanks for sharing :)
Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
http://www.go-ride-byca.org

Pipster3

Postby Pipster3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 06:55 am

Great thread and photo's :D My little lad had his first pedal bike a week or so ago ... Looking forward to next milestone getting him to pedal :D its slightly to big for him at the moment so the balance bike is still first choice :lol:

Return to “Family & Kids cycling forum”