Thank god i wore my specialized helmet

Serious discussion of cycling issues
Chris Phillips

my original post

Postby Chris Phillips » Sat Mar 19, 2011 19:42 pm

Most permanent and fatal injuries that befall cyclists are head injuries. But according to research by Robert S. Thompson, MD, director emeritus of the Department of Preventive Care at Group Health, wearing a properly fitted bicycle helmet reduces the risk of serious head injury by 85 percent and brain injury by 88 percent .
Does this not answer all of the doubters amongst you?
A little research goes a long way into putting the record straight.

tonyf34

Re: my original post

Postby tonyf34 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 01:10 am

Chris Phillips wrote:Most permanent and fatal injuries that befall cyclists are head injuries. .

Define permanent? I grazed my knee as a 7 year old when I fell off my bike and have a scar to prove it, that is permanaent but we didn't have bicycle helmets back in 1976 to prevent it!
Where is your proof that MOST fatal injuries are caused by head trauma?
your quote is from the US only and you copied and pasted from another website!

You might want to check out further that most head injuries are caused by angular or rotational forces, something that helmets actually do not protect the wearer from and can possibly increase the chances of such.
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1039.html

Poacher

Postby Poacher » Sun Mar 20, 2011 15:00 pm

@Chris Phillips
Yes "A little research goes a long way". If you'd done some more, you'd have found that Thompson's 85% and 88% statistics have been totally discredited, and were retracted by the author.

If you genuinely want to find out what research has been done, I suggest you start with ChapmanCentral and http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

Chris Phillips

Postby Chris Phillips » Sun Mar 20, 2011 19:37 pm

Viewed both your links, still not 100% sure. So are you both suggesting that helmets are simply not needed and are therfore just another money making exercise to extract money fronm consumers. would be interested in knowing if you both wear helmets.

Poacher

Postby Poacher » Sun Mar 20, 2011 20:44 pm

Chris, I'm not telling you not to wear a helmet; if you feel happier/safer wearing one, go ahead. Just examine the evidence. I'd wear one if I did a lot of off-road riding with danger of hitting rocks/branches. However, most of my 150,000 miles or so in 50 years of cycling have been on-road, without a helmet.
I've had mishaps; the latest serious one was on a cyclepath alongside a road (Daleside Road, aka Colwick Loop Road in Nottingham) last September, when a pedestrian who'd been standing beside a segregated track, staring to his left (away from me), suddenly lurched forward into my path (it turned out he'd just spotted his bus in the distance and wanted to cross the road - why he couldn't just have crossed the road safely and waited for it like a sensible person, he was unable to explain!) . Despite my shouted warning, he took another step forward, which made a collision inevitable - I'd braked (from about 17mph to maybe 14 mph) and tried to swerve round him, but couldn't avoid him. He got spun around and dumped on the floor, and was shaken and suffered minor abrasion to the knuckles of his right hand, while I had abrasions to the knuckles of both hands (clutching the brakes), and a spectacular bruise to my right forearm - I still have no surface sensation around my right elbow. Despite apparently a near somersault my head didn't hit any hard object - if I'd been wearing a helmet it probably would have, and obviously it would have saved my life, but I wasn't, and it didn't. I could describe many other such incidents, but probably fewer than helmet compulsionists seem to have experienced.

I was just intrigued that you'd come up with the classic 85%/88% stats routinely quoted by BHIT, without apparently looking any further. I'll continue not wearing a helmet, you continue wearing one, OK?

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » Tue Mar 22, 2011 16:17 pm

Chris Phillips wrote:Viewed both your links, still not 100% sure. So are you both suggesting that helmets are simply not needed and are therfore just another money making exercise to extract money fronm consumers. would be interested in knowing if you both wear helmets.

I have seven helmets, none of which I wear while riding push bikes (except off-road, where I also wear body armour). I'm quite comfortable with the idea that jumping between trees at full speed presents different risks and warrants different equipment, for example, to going to the corner shop for milk, or to the office, or for a spin on the road.

In the specific case of trying to get everybody who rides a bike round town to wear a helmet, yes - I do think they are simply not needed (even if they prevented 100% of all bodily injury, which they don't) and I do think they are both commercial exploitation and a victim-blaming exercise by cyclists and non-cyclists alike.

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Mar 22, 2011 17:20 pm

Bike helmets are made of materials that are designed to disintegrate on impact, never assume that a smashed up helmet is proof that it has saved your life or that your head would have been in a similar state to the helmet. It very possibly left you with a slightly less sore head and possibly prevented serious injury but you'll never know. I've had two high speed racing crashes, one in a TT without a helmet and one in a road race with a helmet. I hit a concrete road in the first case and the base of a tree in the second (both head first). In both cases I had mild concussion and a bit of a sore head. On another day my head my have hit slightly differently and either / or may have left me with severe head injury, who knows? I always wear a helmet these days other than the occassional hill climb but I don't expect a huge amount from it other than it may make my head slightly less sore and could possibly stop some insurance company wriggling out of full compensation for my family if the worst happens.

shouldbeinbed

Postby shouldbeinbed » Sun Mar 27, 2011 14:51 pm

dilemna wrote:I should point out other brands of helmet are available which would equally protect the head :wink: .

+lots. My first thought reading the title and OP's posts is what job has he got with Specialized? It reads as an advertising piece.

For a bit of balance, Spesh helmets are an odd shape internally for me, wearing one is like being placed into an instrument of torture. Bell, Met & Giro are infinitely more adjustable and head friendly and I could tell a similar destroyed helmet, saved head story for a Met.

You can't beat Spesh shoes tho.

vs

Postby vs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 14:07 pm

Bike helmets are made of materials that are designed to disintegrate on impact, never assume that a smashed up helmet is proof that it has saved your life or that your head would have been in a similar state to the helmet.

Yep. Worried? Get a motorbike helmet.

And you should probably consider wearing it for driving and walking across the road as well; activities that are equally, if not more, dangerous than cycling.

9jan11

Postby 9jan11 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 14:44 pm

I had a bang on the head as a 9 year old cyclist. I wasn't wearing a helmet and had a couple of stitches.

Had I been wearing a helmet I would no doubt be thankful to be here today.

freddiegrubb

helmets

Postby freddiegrubb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 09:01 am

:oops: On a personal note, I knew 2 riders who died of head injuries long before helmets were readily available. If you want to wear one fine, if not it's your choice, you pays your money!!!!!!!!!!

mikeq

Postby mikeq » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:31 pm

this is why you should wear a helmet

http://www.youtube.com/user/EdinburghFi ... yeJU6U00wA
Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm

mikeq wrote:this is why you should wear a helmet

http://www.youtube.com/user/EdinburghFi ... yeJU6U00wA

PMSL - don't suppose his nads were too great after than either....
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

mikeq

Postby mikeq » Thu Apr 28, 2011 13:06 pm

classic isnt it, front wheel too LOL
Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Thu Apr 28, 2011 13:48 pm

He must have felt a right berk!

I nearly had a "moment" of my own last night though it would have been more dramatic. Heading down the last hill of my commute with a rare tailwind (from the east) and thought I'd have a go at breaking my terminal speed record of 44.3mph (the road twists and the slope is relatively short). Car coming the other way sees me and temporarily stops in a passing spot. He then obviously decides that there's the space for a car & a bike (ie car width plus a foot!) and sets off again. By this time I'm thoroughly committed (95kg of me plus another 15kg of bike, clothes & gear travelling at 35mph according to Garmin) - so I have to throw on all the anchors, trying to feather the rear brake from a 20m skid! Come to a halt at the side of the road a few feet before he arrives. Cheery wave and toot from Highland farmer-type as he passes by as I'm trying to let go of my Toupe saddle with my buttocks! Adrenaline is amazing stuff because, with less than half the slope left, I still hit 40mph from a standing start.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

yenrod

Postby yenrod » Sat Apr 30, 2011 16:44 pm

Wen I was a kid I used to hit the ground so often I talked myself into getting used to it, usually in the time/space period when I was due to hit the ground HARD.

But Now Im older wiser etc...and wear a helmet !!!

So when I have and their aint been may of those occasions...the helmet/s - A Met Stradavarius & a Limar 104 the latter work even tho' its lighter a pair of bolox ! lol

So, as much as Im not really bothered if helmets are compulsary etc.. the fact is its SIMPLY better to wear a helmet than not !
[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]

TyeBag

Postby TyeBag » Sat Apr 30, 2011 22:55 pm

thankfully ive never fallen off my bike

ill wear my helmet on rides but not commuting to work as i only ride 1 mile roughly each way

chances are im more likely to come off riding to work haha

do you feel that a helmet should come with a bike much like a seat belt comes with a car,then its down to the rider to wear it much the same as a driver to wear a seat belt

that way everything is being done to protect people from head injuries as much as possible

Poacher

Postby Poacher » Mon May 02, 2011 18:18 pm

My right elbow's giving me gyp. Head's still OK though. :D

tarquin_foxglove

Postby tarquin_foxglove » Tue May 03, 2011 11:33 am

If only this cyclist had been wearing a helmet he would be with us today... well according to the coroner at the inquest anyway.

IMHO, that is the perfect argument against cyclists wearing helmets while riding on the road.

[hyperbole]The idea that a piece of polystyrene and plastic will render the wearer immune to injury and not wearing one is negligent, gives credence to the notion that cycling is inherently dangerous.

If everyone agrees that cycling is inherently dangerous then car drivers can't be held to a higher standard of responsibility if there is an accident and the cyclist (regardless of helmet usage) dies. "They knew the risk when they got on the bike, if they'd been in a car they would have been fine"

Every time you cycle with a helmet on, you are enabling motorists to kill cyclists with impunity[/hyperbole]

Also anyone that says:
"I wear a helmet so that my family get 100% of the compensation ..." agrees with me.
"I wear a helmet to protect me in the event of an accident" is suffering from false consciousness.
"I bumped me noggin & ma helmet saved ma life" is a perfect example of someone suffering a rotational brain injury caused by a helmet in an accident.
;)

nadir

Postby nadir » Wed Sep 14, 2011 00:42 am

6 months ago i was in collision with another cyclist, and flew over the handlebars, did a sommersault and landed on my elbow then slid down the road on my ars*, i swear i only survived because i WAS NOT WEARING a helmet, if i had been i would have broken my neck, instead all i ended up with was a few bruises and grazes

Return to “Campaign”