Got a question for Cycling Plus experts? Ask it here!

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
Rob Spedding

Got a question for Cycling Plus experts? Ask it here!

Postby Rob Spedding » Tue May 17, 2011 11:32 am

We're after your cycling questions - we want your queries on bike and gear buying, training, nutrition, injury, racing...basically anything about bikes and biking. You can either post your question here or email us with the subject Reader Rescue at cyclingplus@futurenet.com

P_Tucker

Postby P_Tucker » Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am

What, exactly, is the difference between a goblin and a hobgoblin?

Who invented the skip?

Chrissylaa

Postby Chrissylaa » Wed May 18, 2011 12:30 pm

A hobgoblin makes gears for a living.

Mary Poppins invented the skip....or was it that woman from the Sound of Music?

Zachariah

Postby Zachariah » Wed May 18, 2011 16:52 pm

No, no, no - that's a hubgoblin you're thinking of. The hobgoblin makes stovetops.

Rob Spedding

Postby Rob Spedding » Mon May 23, 2011 16:02 pm

Not sure about the hobgoblin and goblin question and our resident expert has had a spell cast upon him by a warlock so can't answer. As for the skip - Antoine Marrell.

Zachariah

Postby Zachariah » Tue May 24, 2011 12:17 pm

OK, serious question - or rather, a request.

I really like the looks at the pro bikes and their measurements, as obviously it's interesting to compare your setup to theirs, especially when you're the same build. But one crucial bit of information is never mentioned - shoe size and cleat position. I'd love to know where Cancellara stands (literally!) on the mid-foot cleat argument, for instance, and have a few pics showing the pedal technique of the rider in question.

frogrocket

Riding on the drops

Postby frogrocket » Tue May 24, 2011 12:40 pm

I mainly ride long road rides that involve plenty of hills. I'm an ok climber and descender but struggle to maintain a good, constant and smooth rhythm on the flats, which let me down a bit on a sportive I did on Sunday.

Having had back problems earlier this year, I flipped my stem so that it rises up instead of sloping down (only about 5%) but I still struggle to spend long periods on the drops when riding into a headwind.

Any tips?

cheers,
Alex

ps am doing core exercises to help protect my back, on advice from a physio, which seems to be working.
About 50/50 MTB/Road love;

GT Timberline (2000)
Lapierre Zesty 214 (2010)
Cube Attempt (2010)
Harry Hall single speed conversion (197/8?)

JustinLeeAtkinson

Postby JustinLeeAtkinson » Mon Jul 18, 2011 21:18 pm

Go for a proper bike fit - particularly useful if you dont like the drops - you should like them after the fit

rudiarius

Cyclocross Brake upgrade?

Postby rudiarius » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Hello there! I am new to forum but have used site for a while and subscribe to Cycling Plus but need a bit of help re some cyclocross brakes.

I own as part of my "Fleet" a Raleigh Airlite X cyclocross bike I have had for just over a year now. It gets used mainly for commuting but has also ventured offroad although no racing as yet, hopefully this winter! For the money it has been excellent apart form one thing, the brakes. I have never been impressed either with feel or power and now want to upgrade.
Considering the use, do I stay with canti brakes such as Avid Shorty or go for the ones I do like look of, TRP CX 9? Plus BMX mini V brakes have also been mentioned as an option. Any guidance would be appreciated.

:?

spacedraptor

Re: Got a question for Cycling Plus experts? Ask it here!

Postby spacedraptor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 23:23 pm

try some gel brake blocks before upgrading the whole system. i had the same problem with a claude butler bike i bought it improved my stopping 60% which was enough.

S2Trash

Raceing and Audax with Epilepsy

Postby S2Trash » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:11 am

I have Epilepsy , when it changed to full blown back in 2004 i was told to stay off the bike. 8 Months and i was out on it again. Rode a few Audax's to test the water so to speak without letting on i was unclean :roll: . Did a time trial at a local club just to see if any medical qustions would be asked. What are the rules on raceing with medical conditions and medication evern at amature leval ? If anybody knows ?. Thanks for your time Tom

chickench

posted in wrong space

Postby chickench » Tue Jun 12, 2012 08:30 am

sorry this post replaced an earlier incorrectly posted question...

Although I do like the Goblin/Hobgoblin debate. anyway, which one is harder in a fight? :wink:

Troll69

Postby Troll69 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 07:27 am

Hi guys .

Be easy on me for this one , but I'm just getting into Sportif riding ... I have a new frame ( a carbon Ribble ) and wanted to ask your opinion on the gear to "hang" on it . Could anyone tell me the difference between say Campagnola Record and shimano Duraace ? People have told me that Shimano isn't really that much good and won't last very long , but what's the general opinion on here ?

Thanks in advance ! :)

cheaterkiller

Postby cheaterkiller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 00:56 am

Be serious people please!

Anyway I would like advice on what I would need to do to get my average speed up to competitive levels. Once the spring arrives im hoping to get more cycling done but as I stated in another thread, going further is relatively easy but getting faster is a *****. I know about drafting techniques but I mean my own actual speed.

tomhutchings

Postby tomhutchings » Fri Apr 25, 2014 15:03 pm

I have just signed up to an extreme charity cycle at work; to cycle from Melksham in Wiltshire to Monte Carlo in Monaco. a cycle of approximately 850 miles to be completed in 9 days, I will be cycling around 85 miles a day. I am fairly confident I can get my fitness to a good enough standard, but I'm questioning my bike's suitability and capabilities.

I own a 2012 Giant Rapid 3. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications with the addition of SPD pedals. not sure if this bike will be comfortable enough to cycle this many miles. Ideally I would like to buy a proper road bike, but my finances do not make this possible. As a compromise I am thinking of converting the bike to dropdown bars, and changing to SPD-L pedals instead.

Some help with this would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

littledove44

Postby littledove44 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 15:41 pm

tomhutchings wrote:I have just signed up to an extreme charity cycle at work; to cycle from Melksham in Wiltshire to Monte Carlo in Monaco. a cycle of approximately 850 miles to be completed in 9 days, I will be cycling around 85 miles a day. I am fairly confident I can get my fitness to a good enough standard, but I'm questioning my bike's suitability and capabilities.

I own a 2012 Giant Rapid 3. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications with the addition of SPD pedals. not sure if this bike will be comfortable enough to cycle this many miles. Ideally I would like to buy a proper road bike, but my finances do not make this possible. As a compromise I am thinking of converting the bike to dropdown bars, and changing to SPD-L pedals instead.

Some help with this would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

Buy a calculator. After that rate if will take ten days. :D
Specialized Roubaix Compact Sport Ultegra
Moozes Boreas Ultegra
Time Fluidity S VIP Ultegra
Marin MTB
Watch this space...... I have an incurable disease.

Simon_Rhino

Postby Simon_Rhino » Thu Jun 04, 2015 13:29 pm

Dear Rob - how quick a TT rider are you?

Simon (ToC #500)

RomanKutuzov

Postby RomanKutuzov » Thu Aug 20, 2015 20:01 pm

Hi, i from Russia and i want find Amateur team. What can you advice?)

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:17 pm

My question: Can you unsticky this thread?

tl1000gussie

Postby tl1000gussie » Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:14 pm

Where is the most aerodynamic place to mount your pump on the bike?

I was given a lenzyne pump for christmas and want to mount it on the bike as I am concerned that if I have it in the back of my shirt and crash it may impale me!! ( Or am i being a Nancy)

I was thinking about putting it behind the seat post and making a bracket, or would it better or make no difference on the downtube.
Go retro.... its the future

Return to “Amateur Race”