What is the fastest speed you've reached on a bike?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...

Postby TommyEss » Wed Jul 27, 2011 05:18 am

http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm That'd be 111.4kph if your numbers are accurate...

I managed 56mph (90kph) recorded on the speedo on a fast descent in Oxfordshire - we were 3 abreast on a single-lane road - probably a bit daft in hindsite. Fun though.
Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
TommyEss

Postby RowCycle » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Just over 40mph. Don't have the balls to go any faster.
RowCycle

Postby CarlosDSanchez » Wed Jul 27, 2011 13:02 pm

According to Garmin connect 71.1 mph..... Then I checked the map and it would appear I forgot to turn off my 705 on the train.

Genuine fastest is 41 mph and it felt quick, think 50 is possible, maybe if I took my bike to parents house and rode down Stile Cop, but it's pretty bumpy so I think I might chicken out.
Dolan Preffisio
2010 Cube Agree SL
CarlosDSanchez

Postby ThatBikeGuy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 15:21 pm

52 mph IIRC...Going down some hill in the moors, in the pouring rain too. :lol: Nearly got thrown off of the bike when i passed over the cattle grid at the bottom, that was a tad scary.
ThatBikeGuy

Postby chunkymonkey69 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 16:41 pm

50.4 mph on road bike. Had helmet on but obviously no other protection - won't be doing that again in a hurry :roll:
chunkymonkey69

Postby sub55 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 19:35 pm

balthazar wrote:
sub55 wrote:68 mph

Just claiming it is proof enough: you don't need the picture, there being no advantage in lying about these things anonymously. That's the fastest I ever heard, by a bit. Well done! Where's the hill?

where ? A479 towards talgarth in the brecon beacons. fairly confident it is actually correct. was using the polar ( picture of )and a standard cycle computer at the same time. they both came out with the same max speed. basically i had just gone round the twisty bit at the top of the hill and hit terminal velocity, when a white sprinter van came by and i tucked in behind him, was probably only there 10 secs before i bottled it. moved to the right , made eye contact with the driver in his wing mirror , i could see his brain ticking over, thinking what the fu*k . then the wind hit me and i slowed down before hitting the brakes for the roundabout at the bottom.
constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
sub55

Postby Thebigbee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 20:00 pm

38.5 mph on a hybrid, downhill without a helmet.

Not tested my road bike fully yet especially not with SPD set up. But I expect to be quite a bit quicker so may start wearing a lid.

You wouldn't want to jump out of a car at 40mph + would you?!

The funny thing is when I go fast I am basically wearing nothing and have no protection - as do the pros - but the only thing you are actually worrying about is your bonce! Well - I am anyway.
Thebigbee

Postby flateric » Wed Jul 27, 2011 21:15 pm

110mph on my raleigh Grifter on a downhill stretch between Hanslope and castlethorpe. That was a few years ago now of course.
Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
(is 3 too many bikes)
flateric

Postby P_Tucker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 21:23 pm

Thebigbee wrote:38.5 mph on a hybrid, downhill without a helmet.

Not tested my road bike fully yet especially not with SPD set up. But I expect to be quite a bit quicker so may start wearing a lid.

The funny thing is when I go fast I am basically wearing nothing and have no protection - as do the pros - but the only thing you are actually worrying about is your bonce! Well - I am anyway.

Well, you could cover your body in paper. I suggest this only because it will offer roughly the same level of protection should you hit something solid at 40mph as a helmet will.
P_Tucker

Postby lvquestpaddler » Wed Jul 27, 2011 22:57 pm

In 2006 I got the OH to drop me off at the top of the Bealach Na Ba near Applecross and headed off on my GT avalanche(no lockout) on Continental slicks, with a head cam that was actually my "prosumer" gaffad to the helmet. I tried to set it but the video footage is hard to watch, you constantly try and tilt your head back when watching it it's set too low. Anyway, 62mph on the steep descent where it exits the switchbacks at the top, that was enough, sheep to the left, deer over the armco to the right and bemused tourists pulling over even though it was 7am and I'd hoped the road was clear...what a dick never do that again, I was hungover too and yelling "get out the f**ing way" as I passed cars flat out....what a dick :oops:
lvquestpaddler

Postby Mouth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 02:18 am

Wow and I thought my 30.2 mph was good. Mind you I'm a not very aerodynamic 17stone and I ride a Carrera TDF. I guess these are contributing factors. Must try harder.
The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
Mouth

Postby MattC59 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 08:55 am

P_Tucker wrote:
Thebigbee wrote:38.5 mph on a hybrid, downhill without a helmet.

Well, you could cover your body in paper. I suggest this only because it will offer roughly the same level of protection should you hit something solid at 40mph as a helmet will.

Not wanting to revisit the helmet debate (please people, don't) How often do you ride into a wall at 40mph ? If you hit a solid object at that speed, you've got other problems (perhaps your eyesight ?!?!), but a helmet will minimise injury to your head.

Most impacts to the head at high speed are glancing blows, therefore the impact force isn't that high. Massively simplified; high speed, low angle of impact. Whilst low speed impacts aren't glancing blows. again Simplified, low speed, high angle of impact.

That said, David Millar said in a recent interview (somewhat paraphrased) "Imagine jumping out of a car naked at 40mph, that's what it's like for us crashing a road bike"
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
MattC59

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Postby roger merriman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 08:55 am

Mouth wrote:Wow and I thought my 30.2 mph was good. Mind you I'm a not very aerodynamic 17stone and I ride a Carrera TDF. I guess these are contributing factors. Must try harder.

find a long ish hill 7% or so with good sight lines and let the bike loose. at 17 stone unless your braking etc all the way down. 40 plus should be easy.

I hit that sort of speed passing though a royal park if I don't brake, from just freewheeling, and i'm lighter.
roger merriman

Postby masterchef » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:38 pm

flat road iv hit 45mph... never done that again lmao
and down hill iv hit 62mph, very scarey never again if i can help it!
best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
10m tt pb:23:42.
25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
masterchef

Postby Zoomer37 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:49 pm

masterchef wrote:flat road iv hit 45mph...

Please tell me you was doing a wheelie at the same time? Thats amazing

If I could ride at 45mph on the flat id change my name to Captain Awesome.
Zoomer37

Postby MountainMonster » Thu Jul 28, 2011 13:46 pm

masterchef wrote:flat road iv hit 45mph... never done that again lmao

Why arn't you on a pro team?
MountainMonster

Postby will3 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 13:48 pm

Meh, I did 40mph on the flat once too.

On my cx bike in 50 x 12

was one hell of a tailwind that day.
will3

Postby noiseboyfeetman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:06 pm

I got 43.1mph yesterday in Braishfield, Hampshire its a short hill but nice and quiet and you can get the speed up on it. There are better hills in the area but none seem to be quite so fast and have such a good view of possible traffic.
noiseboyfeetman

Postby LeicesterLad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:17 pm

RowCycle wrote:Just over 40mph. Don't have the balls to go any faster.

I love post's like that! Beats the 'i did 280kmph on my fixie' hands down.

Oh, and for the record, i Sh*t myself any faster than 40mph. :(
LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 14:18 pm

masterchef wrote:flat road iv hit 45mph... never done that again lmao

:lol:
LeicesterLad

PreviousNext

Return to Road Beginners