Ayup Lights

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
Dick Scruttock

Postby Dick Scruttock » Sun Oct 02, 2011 05:05 am

TBH I love my AYUP's. Great customer service from them as well which means a lot to me.

apreading

Postby apreading » Sun Oct 02, 2011 08:49 am

I dont get this about great customer service - if you have used their customer service then presumably that means there is a reliability issue - if not then why would you be contacting them? On the otherhand are we just assuming that customer service is great but havent actually put it to the test?

All we seem to get is sweeping statements that their customer service is great.

What customer service have you actually received?

Eranu

Postby Eranu » Sun Oct 02, 2011 09:32 am

Why do you care?

apreading

Postby apreading » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:36 am

Eranu wrote:Why do you care?

Because I am trying to understand if there is actually anything in it, or whether it is just rhetoric based on a pre-conception that they are a big brand so customer service is great.

I havent bought a Magicshine yet, but am very close to it, so I want to know if the claims made are true - I am not convinced that they will be much, if any better than buying a magicshine from a UK supplier.

Eranu

Postby Eranu » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:10 am

I've not had much interaction with them other than when I lost one of the mounts, they sorted it out for me quickly, i recal lit was witin 5 days. That was when they had a UK operation tho.

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:45 pm

apreading wrote:I dont get this about great customer service - if you have used their customer service then presumably that means there is a reliability issue - if not then why would you be contacting them?

Anything can fail though, you can't expect perfection even from the best products. And with lights it quite often comes up when you whack them off a tree.

I do agree with the sentiment though... Everyone knows Hope have good warranty service, but only because they have so many warranty claims and people end up viewing it as a positive thing that their hub broke in half :lol:

jmillen

Postby jmillen » Sun Oct 02, 2011 20:59 pm

Customer service..

I had an issue with a battery cable which was 3 years old (minor split from continually carrying it in my pocket whilst riding. It was out warranty so I emailed customer services. I got a response within 12 hours offering a discount on replacement batteries (which was not asked for in my original email).

Also myself and a colleague have had questions regarding their upgrade service. Both of our emails were answered within 12 hours, with a comprehensive answer.

In comparison, I emailed wiggle with a problem the other day and the person at the other end had clearly not read my email and got back to me with a "standard" reply which was in no way relevant to what I was asking.

I'm sure other companies offer a similar level of service, but I can only comment on what I've experienced with Ay Up and that has been all positive :)
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
2014 De Rosa R848
Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Sun Oct 02, 2011 21:07 pm

Did you go for an upgrade - was it worth it?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

jmillen

Postby jmillen » Sun Oct 02, 2011 21:34 pm

I'm yet to go out on a "proper" night ride so can't really comment yet but from playing around in the back garden, there seems to be (as you'd hope) a noticeable difference.

I'll check back in once I've put them to the test properly :)
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
2014 De Rosa R848
Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter

diy

Postby diy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 06:31 am

apreading wrote:I havent bought a Magicshine yet, but am very close to it
A clone of a lupine Telsa 5 (and others) at 1/5th the price. But today you can get clones of a clone for 30 quid, which makes even the magicshine look expensive.

apreading

Postby apreading » Mon Oct 03, 2011 08:47 am

diy wrote:
A clone of a lupine Telsa 5 (and others) at 1/5th the price. But today you can get clones of a clone for 30 quid, which makes even the magicshine look expensive.

When I said Magicshine, I meant clone...

Ai_1

Postby Ai_1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 22:12 pm

diy wrote:

For example? I'm having a look around at the moment. A name or link would be useful if you've got one handy.

apreading

Postby apreading » Tue Oct 04, 2011 23:15 pm

Ai_1 wrote:
diy wrote:A clone of a lupine Telsa 5 (and others) at 1/5th the price. But today you can get clones of a clone for 30 quid, which makes even the magicshine look expensive.

For example? I'm having a look around at the moment. A name or link would be useful if you've got one handy.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82510

milfredo

Re:

Postby milfredo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 09:17 am

apreading wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
diy wrote:A clone of a lupine Telsa 5 (and others) at 1/5th the price. But today you can get clones of a clone for 30 quid, which makes even the magicshine look expensive.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82510

First review imediately would make me steer clear

"Cons:
Lamp unit needed some protection to make the cable inlet waterproof. Battery pack is pure DIY kit if you want to make it waterproof at all. end caps are paper and 4x 18650 are just shrinkwrapped together. Lamp itself has hardly any flood and light beam is exremely narrow for bicycle use"

supersonic
Lives Here

Re: Ayup Lights

Postby supersonic » Fri Jun 22, 2012 09:20 am

Not sure why you have dug this thread up lol, but I have one of these, and for the money is spot on, had none of those 'problems' and has been out in the driving rain. And even if wasn't sealed well, is a 2 min job that costs 50p.

Ai_1

Postby Ai_1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:24 pm

I was looking at lights like the Magicshine, etc back when this thread was alive but ideally wanted something with a properly shaped beam. I ended up getting a Philips Saferide 80 lux. It's a great light. Not particullarly sexy but it gives you a well controlled beam that provides excellent ground illumination out to a distance of approx 40m with no hot spots. The beam width is sufficent to illuminate the sides of the road to read roadsigns and see corners, pedestrians, etc. From about 40m out to around 70m the light intensity gradually drops off and there's a hardcut-off to avoid blinding oncoming drivers, cyclists or pedestrians. The performance is in all ways very similar to a car dipped beam headlamp. You get a great view of the road ahead without lighting up the whole countryside. The headlamp power is lower than many (around 190 lumens I think) but in testing it gives as much light where you want it as a non-shaped beam of 500 lumen or more and as most advertised figures are pure fiction that means it'll probably beat most lamps advertised as 1000 lumen while also avoiding all the other disadvantages of an uncontrolled flashlight style beam. I'm very happy with mine, except for the slightly limited duration at high power. I wouldn't consider a non-shaped beam after having used this.

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 14:19 pm

The Phillips is primarily for the road - off road many riders like to see the trees and branches and stuff, so a more circular beam , angles down, often works better. It doesn't come close to a 850 lumen XML torch really.

Ai_1

Postby Ai_1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 14:52 pm

supersonic wrote:The Phillips is primarily for the road - off road many riders like to see the trees and branches and stuff, so a more circular beam , angles down, often works better. It doesn't come close to a 850 lumen XML torch really.

Right you are. I forgot this thread was in the MTB forum.

Northwind

Re: Re:

Postby Northwind » Wed Jun 27, 2012 16:54 pm

milfredo wrote:"Cons:
Lamp unit needed some protection to make the cable inlet waterproof. Battery pack is pure DIY kit if you want to make it waterproof at all. end caps are paper and 4x 18650 are just shrinkwrapped together. Lamp itself has hardly any flood and light beam is exremely narrow for bicycle use"

I had one of these... And no, it's not waterproof. Doesn't have to be, we're not deep sea divers. It's rainproof and splashproof though, which is as good as many lights costing much more- just don't immerse it. The light beam was too tight for my tastes and the brightness made that feel worse- I ended up chasing the dot, and the extremely bright hotspot meant I lost all trace of night vision and couldnt't see much outside it. I prefer the older P7 lights- they're much less bright but there's more to it than that.

But then along came the MJ-872, which is better made, massively more powerful, has (for me) a near-perfect beam pattern, and still costs a fraction as much as an Ayup or similiar. There's probably better lights now but these marked the point where inexpensive lights stopped being decent, and started being better than most "quality" lights. Still a case for the £30 P7/XMLs but £80 gets you a light that's a lot more than 3 times as good.
Uncompromising extremist

diy

Postby diy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 20:18 pm

For what it's worth I used a single 501b mounted to the bars on my road bike and ran it on low or medium. When you are doing 30mph down a country lane at night you need good lights. Maybe not the 2k lumen of my off road setup but I was certainly grateful of decent range and a clear view of the tarmac. For commuting I just ran a pair on low and they lasted weeks. For those fussy about beam there are some low cost zoom XML lights in the what light thread.

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”