So what Books are forumites currently reading?

The centre for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Stevo 666

Re: So what Books are forumites currently reading?

Postby Stevo 666 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 20:32 pm

Since 'The Walking Dead' moved from Freeview to one of the Sky channels, I'm now reading the book 'The Walking Dead - Rise of the Governor' to try to make up for it...
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

sheepsteeth
Webster

Postby sheepsteeth » Mon Nov 14, 2011 18:37 pm

just began reading 'catch 22'

it is pretty heavy going but fairly amusing, i think im ging mad as i read along.

im planning to read a few modern classic/cliche books, i forgot how much i enjoy reading.

stubs

Postby stubs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 18:57 pm

Just finished Alistair Reynolds Terminal World, took a bit of getting used to as its not like any other Reynolds book but glad I persevered it was well worth it and so much better than a lot of the reviews led me to believe.

Halfway through Isaac Asimovs The Naked Sun its classic old style science fiction and some of the tech is laughable but the plot is the thing and it is all good so far. I really like going back to older sci fi books it is easy to forget just how good some of the writing was.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Stevo 666

Postby Stevo 666 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 22:59 pm

stubs wrote: I really like going back to older sci fi books it is easy to forget just how good some of the writing was.

A lot of the old sci-fi stuff by authors like Asimov and Bradbury are really good reads. You can forgive some of the tech stuff given some of their books were written over half a century ago.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Mon Nov 14, 2011 23:05 pm

stubs wrote:Just finished Alistair Reynolds Terminal World, took a bit of getting used to as its not like any other Reynolds book but glad I persevered it was well worth it and so much better than a lot of the reviews led me to believe.

It felt quite sort of golden-age to me... Really enjoyed it but you had to be happy to suspend your disbelief as you went because quite a lot of it just makes no sense. Sort of reminded me of Michael Marshall Smith rather than Reynolds, for some reason.
Uncompromising extremist

stubs

Postby stubs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 09:58 am

Stevo 666 wrote:
stubs wrote: I really like going back to older sci fi books it is easy to forget just how good some of the writing was.

A lot of the old sci-fi stuff by authors like Asimov and Bradbury are really good reads. You can forgive some of the tech stuff given some of their books were written over half a century ago.

I read a collection of 1930s short stories and one of them was about a guy who signs up on a space ship to work in the engine room his job involved shovelling uranium into the engines like a stoker on a steamship. :lol: Mind you in 50 years time someone will be reading a novel from 2011 and giggling over the use of keyboards and the internet.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

sheepsteeth
Webster

Postby sheepsteeth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 15:34 pm

stubs wrote:
in 50 years time someone will be reading a novel from 2011 and giggling over the use of keyboards and the internet.

especially if they see what i was using them for.

CustomReign

Postby CustomReign » Wed Nov 16, 2011 09:48 am

Where Did The Towers Go
Dr Judy Wood
www.drjudywood.com
www.wheredidthetowersgo.com

Slave Species of God
Michael Tellinger

Gazlar

Postby Gazlar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Life and fate by Vassily Grossman
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

thegiantbiker

Postby thegiantbiker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 21:00 pm

Re-reading Lord of the Rings. Just started book two of Fellowship of the Ring.
Big guy; small air!

Fatamorgana

Postby Fatamorgana » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:43 am

Two on the go.

"The worst journey in the World", (Apsley Cherry-Garrard) described by Paul Theroux as the best travel book ever written.

"Terra Incognita" an award winning travelogue by Sara Wheeler of her trip to Antarctica - beautifully written and packed with interest and interesting quotes and facts from the history of exploration in what Shackleton referred to as his South.

Similar but different.

Interspersed with Bill Bryson's "Home" epic.

allen.coulson

Postby allen.coulson » Sun Dec 04, 2011 21:26 pm

Totally agree about the Worst Journey in the World - esp the eponymous tale of the trip to see the penguins - total hardship!

I'm on Ali Smith - The Whole Story and Le Carre - Our Kind of Traitor - which is a new book.

Toby_Winkler

Postby Toby_Winkler » Mon Dec 05, 2011 20:17 pm

thegiantbiker wrote:Re-reading Lord of the Rings. Just started book two of Fellowship of the Ring.

I'm currently re-reading The Hobbit, pretty excited about the film coming out next year!

Surprisingly I haven't read the LOTR's books, so I reckon I will have to get myself a set and read them next.

tenfoot

Re:

Postby tenfoot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 20:34 pm

stubs wrote:
t0pc4t wrote:@stubs, dreaming void is pretty fine but I think my fave works by PFH are still the Nights Dawn trilogy.

Agreed Nights Dawn is proper space opera I need to reread all the books again pretty soon. Struggling to get going with Dreaming Void but will persist.

I've tried twice and keep giving up. Night's Dawn was fantastic though as were the two books in the Commonwealth Saga.

If you like sci-fi, the Hyperion series of books by Dan Simmons is worth a look.

I'm currently reading Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg, which is interesting, rather than enjoyable.

Next up is Merde Actually, which is Stephen Clarke's follow up to A Year in the Merde (a book I found highly entertaining)

t0pc4t

Postby t0pc4t » Wed Dec 07, 2011 14:25 pm

I got annoyed with the poetry in hyperion but did the first 3 and have the last one to read (rise of endymion maybe?)
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

PaulC7

Postby PaulC7 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 23:33 pm

Im not really a big book reader more of a magazine reader.. how stuff works, photography magazines and crime sometimes also.

But one book i heard about sounded really interesting so went out and got it...

Lost In Shangri La by Mitchell Zuckoff

Its a true story about a crash that happened towards the end of WW2 the amazing story of the survivors and the amazing story of how they were rescued.

I really enjoyed it and im now looking for other books along similar lines.

Fatamorgana

Postby Fatamorgana » Thu Dec 15, 2011 19:18 pm

"Hennessey has now quit his disputed wars. He may shed a uniform but – surely - he cannot abandon the rare gift revealed in this extraordinary book."

The Junior Officers' Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey
Review: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 19368.html

GhostBoy

Postby GhostBoy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 22:39 pm

I've got two books on the go at the moment. One of them is called "48 laws of power" and the other is "Bulletproof" really good reads if you are into that type of stuff
Riding: Ghost SE 6000 (2011) DMR V8 pedals all other things standard

specialeyes

Postby specialeyes » Sun Dec 25, 2011 17:31 pm

Love me some space opera, banks and Reynolds, the hyperion books blew me away though!

After watching blade runner for the umpteenth time I decided to get do androids dream of electric sheep and enjoyed it immensely! Currently reading ubik by phillip k Dick but have left it at work, not in till 3rd so will start on surface detail by iain m banks.

stubs

Postby stubs » Sun Dec 25, 2011 18:18 pm

specialeyes wrote:Love me some space opera, banks and Reynolds, the hyperion books blew me away though!

After watching blade runner for the umpteenth time I decided to get do androids dream of electric sheep and enjoyed it immensely! Currently reading ubik by phillip k Dick but have left it at work, not in till 3rd so will start on surface detail by iain m banks.

I have just finished Seeds of Earth book one of Humanitys Fire by Michael Cobley and Father Christmas has just bought the next 2 books in the series. Proper space opera looking forward to books 2 and 3 not quite up to Banks or Reynolds at there best but still plenty of aliens and space ship battles.

Return to “The Hub”