KHS XCT-556 ---- Jan 2013 Pg. 5

Want to show off your latest bit of Bling?
Or just want to show of the love of your Life ;)
sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 13:01 pm

ordered couple of things this afternoon. Spesh Eskar Control and Purgatory Control tyres. i think the current WTB's are poor. and a new mini pump thats can be stood on and used as track pump.

should be good.

a days riding in the forest of dean is on the cards for tomorrow so may take camera again.

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 am

Saturday was spent in the lovely Forest of Dean, and a good day it was too.

Plenty of peeps using the uplift service, as the car park was full of top notch downhill machinery. i lost count of the all the Orange Five's. and plenty of clicking from Hope rear hubs.

Did 2 laps of the new blue route (Verderers Trial) and it was fantastic. not technical but very fun and very fast.

Also did a lap of the short red route (Freeminer Trail), bit more technical with some good bermy downhill sections but a bit too short and not massively engaging.

Also managed to fall off and scratch the rear brake. grrrr!

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 am

That days riding also revealed the fact that the WTB Silverado saddle is the most uncomfortable thing ever to exist.

So it will be going in the bin to be replaced by a Madison Flux, pretty much identical to a Charge Spoon but slightly softer. according to bikeradar review anyway.

new tyres should be here this week also so can get those fitted and test them out over the weekend.

was also thinking about going double and bash with a blackspire stinger lower guide. but after doing some research last night i might not be able to fit 1. i have a 73mm width BB and its a SRAM GXP style which has no spacers between cup and frame.

i may just have to replace outer chainring with a bash and hope i dont drop the chain.

sanchez89

Mongoose For Sale!

Postby sanchez89 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:30 am

Iv put my old hardtail up for sale on ebay, so if you know anyone thats after a good first bike, send them to the bay.

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 17:39 pm

ok so fitted my fresh set of Spesh rubber tonight. ready for a testing session over the weekend.

i know you've all seen tyres before but hey ho, pics anyway.

Purgatory 2.2 on the front for grip:

Eskar 2.3 on the rear for grip and decent rolling:

having previously only using wire beaded tyres which usually required levering on and off the rims, these were an absolute dream to put on. no aching thumbs and no nearly snapped tyre levers.

the WTB's that came off were also folding bead so they came off nice and are now all folded up ready to be put away.

sanchez89

Re: 2011 KHS XCT-556 Full Bouncer

Postby sanchez89 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:27 am

After the rain the past few weeks, theres been some very muddy horrible rides.

new tyres are performing well but god i hate cleaning muddy bikes! :(

everyone likes too see a nice muddy bike as it shows it was doing what it was built to do:

mmmm yummy, some of cannock chase's finest grit, dirt and grass. lovely!

top tip for the winter, alwasy rinse off the mud while its still wet!!!!!

after taking these photos 2 weeks ago it took me well over an hour to sort it out, and it still wasnt perfect. this week i rinsed it off as soon as i got home and gave the chain a scrub and re-lube. only took 10 mins and was hasslefree! :D
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:37 am

also, after removing all the dirt and grime from my drivetrain i had massive problems with the gearing. once in 1st gear i couldnt get the thing to shift down without me pushing the mech. it was fine during the ride but afterwards it all went a bit pete tong.

after many naughty words and reading old copies of MBR and MBUK about reindexing rear mechs i tried over and over again but couldnt get it fully sorted. it was either skipping in the middle set of cogs or not selecting highest and lowest gears (1 and 10).

i then used this video from Pinkbike about setting up SRAM x9 rear mech. although this model is slightly older than mine everything is still the same. so finally this morning after trying this method only once it was sorted perfect. only need to test ride now to make and fine barrel adjustments!

i am pleased with myself! and saved some money from taking it to LBS.
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 16:27 pm

been looking at some new wheels for the bike.

hope hoops wheelset using the Stans Crest rims. got some good prices available at the minute just need to make a final decision to buy.

1 thing i have noticed is they offer a straight pull spoke version, but its slightly more expensive, so whats the advantages over normal spokes?

or in the other case are there any disadvantages that make them a bad choice?

sanchez89

Re: 2011 KHS XCT-556 Straight Pull spokes or normal???

Postby sanchez89 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 17:53 pm

ok after some researching last night i dont think the straight pull spokes are all the better. so just normal spokes it will be. might leave it a while cuz i seem to be spending all the time, not just on the bike.

have also being toying with the idea of doing a massive amount of manning up and running 1x10.

just a single 32t chainring up front with a chainguide.

now with my current setup of SRAM GXP bottom bracket i have no spacers between cup and frame (73mm BB shell), and my frame has no ISCG tabs.

so my only choice would be to change to a Shimano Hollowtech II BB, and Shimano cranks.

it wont look the best, i like running same brand parts, but its the only way.

i would need to run a singlespeed chainring up front with no shift ramps or anything, so what sort of brands should i be looking for?

and is there anywhere you can just buy Shimano SLX or Deore crankarms? dont really want to spend £100+ on a double setup just to take it apart.

sanchez89

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- Xmas has come early!!

Postby sanchez89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 17:09 pm

decided against the 1x10 idea, would be just too hard for me, must get fitter!

will be looking for a new 2x10 setup in the new year, probably using Sram X9 or X7 doubles.

however, xmas has come early for me when on Tuesday this arrived..........................

hmmmm, wonder whats in here???

lets have a butchers....

very nice indeed.

this was followed by the rear wheel which arrived today.

so a Hope Hoops wheelset, Stans NoTubes Crest rims on black Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, with black DT Competetion spokes.

and for a very reasonable price from Winstanleys too!

also the front wheel came with the necessary adaptor for 15mm thru axle. which took all of 2 mins to change. pull off QR end caps, transfer the bit of nice blue grease that was on them onto the 15mm adaptors and push back in.

job done. sweet!

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 18:00 pm

hopefully not. but its the first big button i see.

however feel free to post your comments, that is what this section is for. :D

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 18:07 pm

has anyone who owns these wheels, and im sure there are a few of you, managed to get the green Hope rim stickers on properly?

to me the radius of the sticker is miles away from the rim. stupid things

stuisnew

Postby stuisnew » Fri Dec 02, 2011 08:46 am

Useful upgrades. Glad to see you're still loving it.

Lewis A

Postby Lewis A » Fri Dec 02, 2011 19:54 pm

looking good, maybe some subtle red like seaclamp and grips?
Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 09:05 am

Lewis A wrote:looking good, maybe some subtle red like seaclamp and grips?

yeah was thinking that sort of things. probably Hope seat clamp for a bit of bling.

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 09:09 am

ok, iv had a go at setting the new wheels up. my god what a joke!!!!

its soo hard to put my spesh tyres onto the rim, needed 2 levers for both tyre beads. and once its finally on i cant get the tyre to seat up onto the 'shelf' in the rim to form the proper seal. even with a tube in i cant do it!

anyone got any tips or advice?

iv looked on the net but cant find anything other than other people having same problems as me.

and on the stans offical video the guy just pushes the tyre on with his hand! is he chuck norris or something?

Pudseyp

Postby Pudseyp » Sat Dec 03, 2011 18:44 pm

Nice looking bike...could have been me that may have recomended it (I remember the bear) pitty they don't get more recognition as they are great well built bikes with a good spec at a decent price !!

Enjoy it !
Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 22:53 pm

sanchez89 wrote:ok, iv had a go at setting the new wheels up. my god what a joke!!!!

its soo hard to put my spesh tyres onto the rim, needed 2 levers for both tyre beads. and once its finally on i cant get the tyre to seat up onto the 'shelf' in the rim to form the proper seal. even with a tube in i cant do it!

iv looked on the net but cant find anything other than other people having same problems as me.

and on the stans offical video the guy just pushes the tyre on with his hand! is he chuck norris or something?

You need to get the tyres onto the rims and use a compressor to inflate the tyres to a very high pressure until they "pop" onto the right part of the rim, which should seal them.

sanchez89

Postby sanchez89 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 15:53 pm

bennett_346 wrote:
sanchez89 wrote:ok, iv had a go at setting the new wheels up. my god what a joke!!!!

You need to get the tyres onto the rims and use a compressor to inflate the tyres to a very high pressure until they "pop" onto the right part of the rim, which should seal them.

what sort of pressures we talking here. im sure on the rim it says dont exceed 40 psi. i think i was pumping until around 50. the tyre was rock hard, especially the area around where the valve was. maybe i just need to man up and go higher. just dont want it to explode and damage the rim.

i take it you have experienced how tough tyres are to get onto this rim?

Return to “Your Mountain Bikes”