KHS XCT-556 ---- Jan 2013 Pg. 5

Want to show off your latest bit of Bling?
Or just want to show of the love of your Life ;)
User avatar
bennett_346
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 09:47 am

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- Xmas has come early!!

Postby bennett_346 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 22:31 pm

sanchez89 wrote:
bennett_346 wrote:
sanchez89 wrote:ok, iv had a go at setting the new wheels up. my god what a joke!!!!

its soo hard to put my spesh tyres onto the rim, needed 2 levers for both tyre beads. and once its finally on i cant get the tyre to seat up onto the 'shelf' in the rim to form the proper seal. even with a tube in i cant do it!

anyone got any tips or advice?

iv looked on the net but cant find anything other than other people having same problems as me.

and on the stans offical video the guy just pushes the tyre on with his hand! is he chuck norris or something?

You need to get the tyres onto the rims and use a compressor to inflate the tyres to a very high pressure until they "pop" onto the right part of the rim, which should seal them.


what sort of pressures we talking here. im sure on the rim it says dont exceed 40 psi. i think i was pumping until around 50. the tyre was rock hard, especially the area around where the valve was. maybe i just need to man up and go higher. just dont want it to explode and damage the rim.

i take it you have experienced how tough tyres are to get onto this rim?

I believe the difference is the speed at which the compressor inflates the tyre, as opposed to a track pump. And no i have no experienced these rims but its usually the deal with tubeless systems. Hope this helps, i don't want to say go above the reccomended pressure incase you blow your tyres to smithereens, but it could help a bit :wink:

User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- Xmas has come early!!

Postby sanchez89 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 23:10 pm

bennett_346 wrote:
I believe the difference is the speed at which the compressor inflates the tyre, as opposed to a track pump. And no i have no experienced these rims but its usually the deal with tubeless systems. Hope this helps, i don't want to say go above the reccomended pressure incase you blow your tyres to smithereens, but it could help a bit :wink:


well i tried with the Spesh tyre once again today, with a tube in, to get the bead to seat properly. i got upto around 90psi according to my pump and still no joy.

iv given up and managed to set up my non tubeless WTB wolverine instead. its currently lying on its side with the sealant finding its way into any small holes. so will see in the morning if its still inflated.

i am gutted that i cant use the Spesh tyres, not long bought them!
Last edited by sanchez89 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 23:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- Xmas has come early!!

Postby sanchez89 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 23:11 pm

double post ignore me
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Postby sanchez89 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:25 pm

well how about this for backwards.

checked this morning on the WTB front tyre, all is well, stayed pumped up overnight after a quick spin round yesterday. so thats all gravy.

now i thought i try the rear. i put the tape on, valve in. so good so far.

looking at my current rear wheel with the spesh eskar on board, i thought to myself, ill try it. but i was wary considering the trouble i had with the purgatory.

so i whipped it off the old rim and started putting it on the crest, tyre levers were at the ready as i was expecting a fight. but guess what. no need.

what a joke, the eskar is wider than the purgatory and yet i can push the eskar on by hand. no need to lube up the tyre or anything, just made sure it was in the central channel all the way round and with a little bit of a shove for the last 3-4 inches and were laughing!!

tried to pump it with my trail pump/mini track pump but cant get high enough quick enough to seat. so to work this afternoon with the compressor again.

i had contacted the place i bought them from cuz i thought the wheels were faulty. it says on stans website you can use spesh 2bliss tyres and i was baffled why the purg wouldnt go on.

looks like it was that stupid tyre!
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

New images

Postby sanchez89 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 13:31 pm

Just a quick pic of the bike as it stands now. The girlfriend bought me a 185mm rear disc and adpater so rear brake now same size as front, and with damn good power to match.

tubeless running has been good so far, but only been over to Sutton Park so not a true trail test as of yet. for anyone interested tyre pressures are 22psi front and rear. i think these tyres perform much better at low pressure.

Image

bit of a downer though is that during my trip to Sherwood Forest i managed to lose the little silver cover/plug for the floodgate adjuster screw.

Image

i spoke to my LBS (Daves Cycles) about ordering a replacement, they contacted SRAM and were told you have to order the whole cap assembly and its £30!

forget that!!! so anyone got any ideas what to put in the hole??
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
MountainMonster
Posts: 7286
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 18:04 pm

Re: New images

Postby MountainMonster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 16:53 pm

sanchez89 wrote:forget that!!! so anyone got any ideas what to put in the hole??


Put this in the crudcatcher, you'll get really good answers there!

User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Re: New images

Postby sanchez89 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:03 pm

MountainMonster wrote:
sanchez89 wrote:forget that!!! so anyone got any ideas what to put in the hole??


Put this in the crudcatcher, you'll get really good answers there!


yeah thanks for that........

anyway, i weighed it yesterday and as it stands 13kg exactly. not bad at all i dont think.
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
Bikerguy15
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 17:43 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- Xmas has come early!!

Postby Bikerguy15 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 19:21 pm

Sweet bike.

I have some Advantage 2.1's on mine. They handle everything really well. seeing as you've got quite a lot of travel on the KHS you'd probably be best with something like an Advantage on the rear and something a little more aggresive on the front.

(I know this reply is a little behind but i missed the other 2 pages :3)

User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- Xmas has come early!!

Postby sanchez89 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 18:13 pm

Bikerguy15 wrote:Sweet bike.

I have some Advantage 2.1's on mine. They handle everything really well. seeing as you've got quite a lot of travel on the KHS you'd probably be best with something like an Advantage on the rear and something a little more aggresive on the front.

(I know this reply is a little behind but i missed the other 2 pages :3)


ah dont worry about it, just glad someone's reading it!!

yeah the tyre situation has been bugging me a bit, went out for a ride today over cannock on the natural off-piste trails and conditions were bad. i was expecting to be on my ars* do to the cacky WTB's but they performed remarkably well. they cleared very quickly for non mud specific and i was getting a controllable amount of drift when pushing them.

so to be honest i think they will stay on till i either rip the wall or they run out of tread. then maybe swap to 2.25 Advantages/ 2.35 High Rollers all round.

just had a look in your spesh thread, needs updating but a nice looking bike, heard many many good things about them!

EDIT: was looking at your hardtail, hadn't noticed the bouncer, now that is a nice looking beast!
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
Bikerguy15
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 17:43 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- Xmas has come early!!

Postby Bikerguy15 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 20:46 pm

Aye, sounds like a good idea. No point spending the money unless you are having a real battle with your current tires.

Thanks. I swapped the bits round from the hardrock. Rides really well.

DomN86
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 23:07 pm
Contact:

Re: New images

Postby DomN86 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 22:57 pm

Hi sanchez89,

Very nice bike, love the colours; red, black, gold and anodized blue, great combo, looks good.

sanchez89 wrote:bit of a downer though is that during my trip to Sherwood Forest i managed to lose the little silver cover/plug for the floodgate adjuster screw.

Image

i spoke to my LBS (Daves Cycles) about ordering a replacement, they contacted SRAM and were told you have to order the whole cap assembly and its £30!

forget that!!! so anyone got any ideas what to put in the hole??


Is this it? = RockShox Dust Cap Bike Spare : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Dust-Cap-Bike-Spare-/160549619480?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item256180c718
GIANT YUKON FX2 - http://goo.gl/xtIfv.

User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Re: New images

Postby sanchez89 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:46 am

DomN86 wrote:Hi sanchez89,

Very nice bike, love the colours; red, black, gold and anodized blue, great combo, looks good.

sanchez89 wrote:bit of a downer though is that during my trip to Sherwood Forest i managed to lose the little silver cover/plug for the floodgate adjuster screw.

Image

i spoke to my LBS (Daves Cycles) about ordering a replacement, they contacted SRAM and were told you have to order the whole cap assembly and its £30!

forget that!!! so anyone got any ideas what to put in the hole??


Is this it? = RockShox Dust Cap Bike Spare : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Dust-Cap-Bike-Spare-/160549619480?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item256180c718


no mate, its a metal tapered plug with a little rubber o-ring about half way down. it fell out when i was assembling the bike. should have wrapped some tape round it and made it tight fit. bit late now.

Here's what it is, its on an Argyle fork so compression cap is different but its the little silver plug on top. 2.5 gate stamped on it:

Image
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

14/01/2012

Postby sanchez89 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 17:47 pm

Just quick update. Bought a Muckynutz Benderfender to stick on, see if it helps prevent bit of mud spraying from front wheel.

Image

read some reviews and all seem positive, so just have to try it and see. Also bought a Blackspire bash ring to replace big chainring, but had to order new bolts as neither the originals nor the 1's included would fit.
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


Ashweee
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 09:15 am

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- 14/01/2012 update

Postby Ashweee » Sun Jan 15, 2012 09:02 am

I bought a bender fender recently and have to say I think its really good and looks much better than a neoguard too. You still get a little bit of spray when its really wet but its definitely reduced. Nice bike btw, i like all the mods you've done so far :)

Ash.

User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- 14/01/2012 update

Postby sanchez89 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 19:17 pm

Ashweee wrote:I bought a bender fender recently and have to say I think its really good and looks much better than a neoguard too. You still get a little bit of spray when its really wet but its definitely reduced. Nice bike btw, i like all the mods you've done so far :)

Ash.


Thanks :D
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

16/01/2012 update

Postby sanchez89 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:27 am

New bolts arrived today from CRC, so bash ring has been fitting, outside in the cold aswell. i no bolts are silver but i dont think they look too bad at all.

Image

i think it looks very nice indeed, iv wound in high limit screw to remove the 3rd gear on mech.

bike as it now looks.

Image

comments always welcome, ideas for improvements also.
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
Bikerguy15
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 17:43 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- 16/01/2012 update - Bash Ring

Postby Bikerguy15 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 22:09 pm

So much more practical than triple rings.

I'm going to do the same. Did you change the size of the middle ring or keep it the same? I'm was going to go up 2 teeth from 32 to 34 as i only have a 8 speed cassette out back, should just give me a little bit more range.

HarryK
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 17:23 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- 16/01/2012 update - Bash Ring

Postby HarryK » Thu Jan 19, 2012 22:18 pm

Looking good! May I suggest a shorter stem? Your's looks to be pretty lengthy.

User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- 16/01/2012 update - Bash Ring

Postby sanchez89 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:42 am

Bikerguy15 wrote:So much more practical than triple rings.

I'm going to do the same. Did you change the size of the middle ring or keep it the same? I'm was going to go up 2 teeth from 32 to 34 as i only have a 8 speed cassette out back, should just give me a little bit more range.


Thanks, the current middle ring is 33 and im happy with that so no. Iv got more gears than i use so dont feel the need to change any of them really.

i was tempted to get a 2x10 specific x9 chainset but i couldnt justify the cost.
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.


User avatar
sanchez89
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:06 pm

Re: '11' KHS XCT-556 ---- 16/01/2012 update - Bash Ring

Postby sanchez89 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:44 am

HarryK wrote:Looking good! May I suggest a shorter stem? Your's looks to be pretty lengthy.


Thanks, the stem is 80mm long and to be honest i wouldnt fancy going any shorter. the setup is perfect for me.

i am tempted by some 710mm wide bars though! :D
2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
Clank wrote:M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.



Return to “Your Mountain Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests