Cycle wear for kids

Want to get your kids on two wheels? Got any general 'family biking' questions? Chat here
oxoman

Cycle wear for kids

Postby oxoman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 16:36 pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction of decent quality kids cycle wear that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, My son's 12 and having looked around most of the stuff we've seen is not a good fit as he's a slim build or more expensive than mine.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

afferton

Re: Cycle wear for kids

Postby afferton » Tue Feb 07, 2012 16:49 pm

Have you tried evanscycles.com or Amazon?

I mainly get some gear for my kids at Amazon.

oxoman

Postby oxoman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:22 pm

Looked at both and unless he was a bit younger he won't be seen in some of the T-shirts. and the few other items are either not suitable for the winter or to dear. Looks like it will have to be Sports Direct gear and its not brilliant either.
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:47 pm

There was a thread on a similar subject recently.... see this. I'd google Polaris, as they make good kids stuff... there's a review of one of their jackets on Bikeradar from a while back... see this.

Simon E

Postby Simon E » Thu Feb 09, 2012 22:29 pm

I bought a Polaris Leon jersey and Controller mitts and have been impressed with the quality. Also managed to locate a pink jersey for my daughter at http://www.justjuniorscyclewear.co.uk
Child size Ron Hills cover the legs, both of them use normal shorts in the summer (we've not felt the need for padded shorts yet). Bought some cheap skiing gloves for the odd cold ride.
Altura make some kids stuff. If it's as good as the adult sizes it will be fine.
Aspire not to have more, but to be more.

oxoman

Postby oxoman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 13:04 pm

Thanks for the Link Simon, the stuff looks good. The main problem i have is that ideally i want my son to try the gear on before i purchase it and that way if it doesn't fit i don't have the hassle of returns etc. Most of my LBS stock kids helmets gloves and summer wear etc, but very little else aimed at junior cyclist's. My local Decathlon has some good stuff for kids but was out of the size we wanted, suspect i will have to wait until its in again or try Sports Directs stuff as its nearer to me. I've also noticed certainly with Decathlon and Sports Direct not everything is shown on the web.
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

othello

Postby othello » Thu Feb 23, 2012 15:31 pm

If you have a store near you then go to Decathlon. Their childs cycling gear is seriously good value and for the price is good quality.

Lots of the children at our local cycling club wear gear from there.
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Lanky22

Postby Lanky22 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 21:33 pm

From experience I have found cycle wear from halfords very durable, I have tried others but Halfords' has been worth every penny and does not cost an arm or leg. :D

Return to “Family & Kids cycling forum”