Wich (inch) bike is the best for a 4 year old toddler?

Want to get your kids on two wheels? Got any general 'family biking' questions? Chat here
universe

Wich (inch) bike is the best for a 4 year old toddler?

Postby universe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:39 am

We have a toddler of 4 years old. Our question is wich bike is the best to learn.

What we exactly wanna know is wich inch we have to search for.

Cause we got different opinions everywhere thought we might get some answers here,

Thanks.

baudman

Re: Wich (inch) bike is the best for a 4 year old toddler?

Postby baudman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:59 am

Islabikes have a great table to help you pick the sized bike for the size of your child. (Are they still toddlers at four?) ;)

A word of warning, however... not all 16" (for example) bikes are created the same. That's the size of the wheels - but nothing about the geometry of the frame that holds them. Generally, good kid's bikes have a low centre of gravity, with the child set down between the two wheels, somewhat spaced apart.

Bad kid's bikes have two wheels close together, with a very upright stance - often designed for use with stabilzers so that it's actually difficult for the child to put their feet down and touch the ground if the saddle is of sufficient height.
Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike

cycle monster

Postby cycle monster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 22:17 pm

Take your four year old into a bike shop and try a few on for size. Even an educated best guess could be wrong and hold the small person back considerably.

oxoman

Postby oxoman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 21:16 pm

Islabike without a doubt, don't bother elsewhere, measure your childs legs etc and use Islabikes size charts they are very accurate in their sizing. The bikes themselves command a very high resale value as well.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

TimIrons

Postby TimIrons » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:44 am

I can give another vote for the Islabikes, the Cnoc 16 is a great starter bike for a 4 year old which i can vouch for having used one for each of my two children.

I am selling the one we have outgrown. see my post in the for sale area of this site or search on eBay under my seller name of irons2001.

Return to “Family & Kids cycling forum”