Do you wear a helmet?

Serious discussion of cycling issues
User avatar
shouldbeinbed
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 21:42 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby shouldbeinbed » Sat Mar 17, 2012 17:34 pm

These route marches in ever decreasing circles of tedium & futility should be locked immediately by the mods and the naive fool or s**t stirrer that started them banned from the Internet for several lifetimes.

In short:

Some people think helmets are great & can produce Dr's and scientific studies to prove their point & think we should all bow to their world view and will not be dissuaded from it no matter what.

Some other people think helmets are the devils work and can produce Dr's and scientific studies to prove their point & think we should all bow to their world view and will not be dissuaded from it no matter what.

The rest of us find these people a bunch of mind numbingly tedious extremists who's views are not to be taken seriously & will continue to do our own thing whilst they waffle interminably, rant and dribble in their respective corners.

User avatar
weadmire
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 14:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby weadmire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:39 am

Shouldbeinbed,

In the LCS helmet thread I mentioned earlier a number of contributors broadly expressed the same sentiment as you do in your last post. It was at the point of "Leggy Blonde" losing the argument as I recall, much in the manner of the challenged fellow Bompington letting his fellow travelers down by showing out. I guessed that far from being bored the poster in question was fascinated - the thread was getting a lot of hits. I told him I had asked the moderator of the forum how frequently he, the weary and wannabe worldly poster, had accessed the thread. I reported the moderator had said every five minutes or so. I was lying of course. But I am pleased to say the poster admitted he was guilty as charged. He had not been bored, he had been fascinated.

Put another way:

You didn't answer the original question: the topic is do you wear a helmet?

And I am sure some of the readers of this thread are interested to know if you have trouble with dribbling?
WeAdmire.net
13-15 Great Eastern Street
London EC2A 3EJ

User avatar
bompington
Posts: 4680
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby bompington » Sun Mar 18, 2012 15:15 pm

weadmire wrote: :D
And I am sure some of the readers of this thread are interested to know if you have trouble with dribbling?

Yes, for heaven's sake, a lot of us are having trouble with drivelling and are really wishing you'd stop.

User avatar
weadmire
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 14:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby weadmire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 15:47 pm

Bompington,
I thought you had agreed to swim off.
WeAdmire.net
13-15 Great Eastern Street
London EC2A 3EJ

Wirral_Paul
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 20:19 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby Wirral_Paul » Sun Mar 18, 2012 16:22 pm

You really are a grade A pr!ck arent you Weadmire!! I think the vast majority on here only want to see you "Swim off"!!!

User avatar
weadmire
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 14:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby weadmire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 17:19 pm

Tsk,Tsk Wirral_P,
Is this another example of you projecting? Thinking of psychological projection, not phallic, just in case you were confused.

But while we are here why is it that you and that other fellow traveler of yours, Bompington are so keen for me to go? Because, despite your admitted experience otherwise, you disagree with my basic contention that if you are wear a helmet you are more likely to hit your head when you come off? Surely with all those thousands of posts and time invested in these forums you will understand undecided, as in open minded readers, of this thread will be underwhelmed by your incoherence and loss of composure. And after we had a breakthrough moment too. You are just showing out and embarrassing yourself - didn't you think Bompington you r sole when he cracked and started being stupid and abusive? You can't have thought witty, that's told him now, can you? You should keep the sentiment you felt when you read Bompington's all but last contribution in mind when you make yours, it will be helpful for you.
WeAdmire.net
13-15 Great Eastern Street
London EC2A 3EJ

Wirral_Paul
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 20:19 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby Wirral_Paul » Sun Mar 18, 2012 17:32 pm

weadmire wrote:Tsk,Tsk Wirral_P,
Is this another example of you projecting? Thinking of psychological projection, not phallic, just in case you were confused.


What the hell are you on about?? Everyone is confused by your pointless waffle!! "Tsk tsk" at me given that you try some smart arsed attack on every single poster who doesnt agree with your ramblings is hardly going to bother me!!

weadmire wrote:But while we are here why is it that you and that other fellow traveler of yours, Bompington are so keen for me to go? Because, despite your admitted experience otherwise, you disagree with my basic contention that if you are wear a helmet you are more likely to hit your head when you come off? Surely with all those thousands of posts and time invested in these forums you will understand undecided, as in open minded readers, of this thread will be underwhelmed by your incoherence and loss of composure. And after we had a breakthrough moment too. You are just showing out and embarrassing yourself - didn't you think Bompington you r sole when he cracked and started being stupid and abusive? You can't have thought witty, that's told him now, can you? You should keep the sentiment you felt when you read Bompington's all but last contribution in mind when you make yours, it will be helpful for you.


Who said we all disagree?? And just to be absolutely clear on this - who gives a damn if you're more likely to hit your HELMET - which i'm sure we dont need one of your supposed experts to tell us SEEING AS ITS A LARGER DIAMETER, irrespective of weight!! If a helmet gets damaged and a head doesnt, then nobody but YOU needs convincing that a helmet was probably a damn good idea to be wearing at that time!! Your whole argument now seems to be based on some absolutely pointless study that didnt even need a study to convince everyone with half a brain (an undamaged one) - a larger polystyrene bowl is more likely to take a knock than a smaller head!!

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28167
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby cooldad » Sun Mar 18, 2012 20:08 pm

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

User avatar
shouldbeinbed
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 21:42 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby shouldbeinbed » Sun Mar 18, 2012 23:00 pm

weadmire wrote:Shouldbeinbed,

In the LCS helmet thread I mentioned earlier a number of contributors broadly expressed the same sentiment as you do in your last post. It was at the point of "Leggy Blonde" losing the argument as I recall, much in the manner of the challenged fellow Bompington letting his fellow travelers down by showing out. I guessed that far from being bored the poster in question was fascinated - the thread was getting a lot of hits. I told him I had asked the moderator of the forum how frequently he, the weary and wannabe worldly poster, had accessed the thread. I reported the moderator had said every five minutes or so. I was lying of course. But I am pleased to say the poster admitted he was guilty as charged. He had not been bored, he had been fascinated.

Put another way:

You didn't answer the original question: the topic is do you wear a helmet?

And I am sure some of the readers of this thread are interested to know if you have trouble with dribbling?


What does LCS stand for?

You're right I didn't answer the original question

My dribbling could be better, I'm not a great footballer.

User avatar
bompington
Posts: 4680
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby bompington » Mon Mar 19, 2012 06:54 am

cooldad wrote:Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

+millions ;-). Looks worryingly like he must have had a lot of practice at this kind of thing.

And I've just looked back at my posts in this thread, because I don't actually like to be be "stupid and abusive" - and I can't actually see where I have been. "Drivelling" is the closest I can get, and that is quite a long way along the spectrum towards simple fact.

But I still can't resist trying to have a sensible discussion! So can someone tell me, where is the evidence for the "basic contention that if you are wear a helmet you are more likely to hit your head when you come off" as I am think that this is just another of those intuitive claims that might, or might not, have some basis in reality - but without any evidence (and for the record, "a truly wise and mighty expert thinks so" is not evidence) it will always remain speculation.

Wirral_Paul
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 20:19 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby Wirral_Paul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 07:49 am

bompington wrote:
cooldad wrote:Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

+millions ;-). Looks worryingly like he must have had a lot of practice at this kind of thing.

And I've just looked back at my posts in this thread, because I don't actually like to be be "stupid and abusive" - and I can't actually see where I have been. "Drivelling" is the closest I can get, and that is quite a long way along the spectrum towards simple fact.

But I still can't resist trying to have a sensible discussion! So can someone tell me, where is the evidence for the "basic contention that if you are wear a helmet you are more likely to hit your head when you come off" as I am think that this is just another of those intuitive claims that might, or might not, have some basis in reality - but without any evidence (and for the record, "a truly wise and mighty expert thinks so" is not evidence) it will always remain speculation.


+millions and one ;-) It seems he's only on the site to try and write these long winded posts in an attempt to look clever (and failing at it). I'm sure he'll be back with a rambling post shortly in his attempt to "win" the argument - ignoring the fact that he's a lone voice on here!! To be honest - would you expect anything less from someone who makes a living selling t-shirts which amongst other things, suggests people should follow his other favourite topic and break a road traffic law.

http://weadmire.net/tshirt/traffic-lights-t-shirt/


Maybe he could design one suggesting that cyclists shouldnt wear these nasty, killer helmets. :lol:

Shame, as some of the other designs are really nice!! Wouldnt buy on principle now though!!

User avatar
Pross
Posts: 15193
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby Pross » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 pm

OK, I had thought it was just someone expressing a different and potentially valid argument at first but from the last few posts it's become obvious that it is just trolling now.

User avatar
weadmire
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 14:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby weadmire » Mon Mar 19, 2012 17:06 pm

What part of the argument are you all really really having a problem with? The part that you don't agree with, we understand but beyond that?

To recap:
The argument concerning the efficacy of helmets has been going on for as long as cycling forums have existed. The pro helmet lobby are particularly vociferous in their promotion of the use of helmets. But if helmets worked it should be clear by now. It is not clear. Hence the ongoing argument.

My experience was, and is, that when I crashed with a helmet I hit my head. On four occasions to the point of being injured, broken bones injured, and head injured too. Though with one particularly notable exception when when I crashed without a helmet I did not hit my head, despite otherwise breaking bones.

For good measure I provided details of some of my whacks. It is clear some readers of this thread did not like these details. What are your problems here? Too many details?

My conclusion, supported by an eminent and relevantly experienced medical consultant, among other things his opinion was forensically examined in a case where the compensation payout including legal fees was in the order of £400,000, was that the mass and position of a helmet might mean that wearing a helmet protected the wearer only to the extent that wearing the helmet increased the likelihood the wearer would hit his head. Not rambling, not rocket science. It is my contention that wearing a helmet is a zero sum game. And this is borne out by the lack of evidence that they work which in turn is borne out by the fact this argument, the wear or do not wear argument, has been ongoing for 20 yrs or more.

So gentlemen what is your real problem? Best to explain it so readers apart from yourselves can understand it.

For the last batch of rude and largely irrelevant self justification: Bompington, in only seeing “drivelling” you are looking with your nose, you might care to explain the phoney quotes and in the same post “FYFT”. Wirral-Paul, you might explain the use of “You really are a grade A pr!ck arent you Weadmire!! Otherwise you are almost there, you agree you are more likely to hit your head wearing a helmet and you admitted you did not wear one or hit your head in crashes in your youth, extrapolate a little further and you will have crossed the rubicon. Cooldad, do you wear a helmet? And where have you been up till now?

Alternatively you could all address the basic argument and spare us the insults.
WeAdmire.net
13-15 Great Eastern Street
London EC2A 3EJ

Wirral_Paul
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 20:19 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby Wirral_Paul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 18:18 pm

weadmire wrote:

To recap:
The argument concerning the efficacy of helmets has been going on for as long as cycling forums have existed. The pro helmet lobby are particularly vociferous in their promotion of the use of helmets. But if helmets worked it should be clear by now. It is not clear. Hence the ongoing argument.


Really?? So thats your current stance?? Funny - as twice you have categorically stated that helmets don't work!!

weadmire wrote: Or put yet more clearly if helmets saved lives it would be obvious - the argument would be over. They don't and it isn't.

weadmire wrote:Pross,
Helmets don't work and it shows


So clearly you cant even make your mind up!! :lol: :lol:

weadmire wrote:My conclusion, supported by an eminent and relevantly experienced medical consultant, among other things his opinion was forensically examined in a case where the compensation payout including legal fees was in the order of £400,000, was that the mass and position of a helmet might mean that wearing a helmet protected the wearer only to the extent that wearing the helmet increased the likelihood the wearer would hit his head. Not rambling, not rocket science. It is my contention that wearing a helmet is a zero sum game. And this is borne out by the lack of evidence that they work which in turn is borne out by the fact this argument, the wear or do not wear argument, has been ongoing for 20 yrs or more.


Ah the Civil court - well that clinches it then hey!! Two sets of opposing so called experts giving two opposing opinions - and you think the result constitutes "proof"?? It doesnt - and never will. I've been an expert witness in a murder trial where "beyond reasonable doubt" applies, Civil Court is "balance of probability" so it comes down to who was most convincing / credible on the day - ie Sweet FA to do with "proof"!!

Oh - and in there is yet another instance where you shoot down your own statement that "helmets don't work"!!

weadmire wrote:So gentlemen what is your real problem? Best to explain it so readers apart from yourselves can understand it.


Only you are of your opinion - everyone else disagrees with you!! Nobody else has a problem - and even you cant decide your stance!! Most (other than you) are in the middle and wear one simply because we believe "on the balance of probability" that we'll come out of an accident in better shape than without one!!

weadmire wrote:Otherwise you are almost there, you agree you are more likely to hit your head wearing a helmet and you admitted you did not wear one or hit your head in crashes in your youth


Show us where i admitted that then - everyone reading the whole thread can see i didnt!!

weadmire wrote:, extrapolate a little further and you will have crossed the rubicon.


Really?? I couldnt give a damn if my helmet hits the floor - other than i may need to buy a new one!! I'm sure everyone else will agree!! You're whole argument seems to be revolving now on the possibility of a helmet touching the floor. This is totally irrelevant, given that the only important fact is what injuries are caused!! A scuffed helmet is of no consequence and they are there to do that very job!! So what's your point in continually quoting this "expert report" that you havent linked to?? Show us the study - otherise we may as well simply conclude you having written the "study" yourself. Does it conclude that injuries are worsened as a result of any increase in a helmet contacting the ground??

weadmire wrote:Alternatively you could all address the basic argument and spare us the insults.


Funny - coming from someone who insulted every single person who replied!!
Its you who needs to address your stance for starters - either "helmets dont work" or "Its not clear" - or do you still want to be both??

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28167
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby cooldad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 21:23 pm

I think he was dropped on his head as a baby. Parents should have bought him a little helmet.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Wirral_Paul
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 20:19 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby Wirral_Paul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 21:37 pm

cooldad wrote:I think he was dropped on his head as a baby. Parents should have bought him a little helmet.


Or dropped him again?? :lol: :lol:

Only kidding Weadmire :wink:

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28167
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby cooldad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 21:42 pm

weadmire wrote:Cooldad, do you wear a helmet?


I do.

weadmire wrote: And where have you been up till now?


Are you trying to proposition me? Lousy pick up line.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28528
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:19 am

You guys still having fun in here?

User avatar
bompington
Posts: 4680
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby bompington » Tue Mar 20, 2012 13:56 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:You guys still having fun in here?

Enormous fun, in a slightly sick way
Image

User avatar
weadmire
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 14:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Postby weadmire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 18:37 pm

Cooldad,

Please take us through why you wear one. Have you ever had a whack on the head while wearing your helmet, I would like to hear the details.

Bompington, trying to have fun but smarting really is closer to the mark, fess up, you will feel better for it.
WeAdmire.net
13-15 Great Eastern Street
London EC2A 3EJ


Return to “Campaign”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest