Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
No tA Doctor

Re: Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Postby No tA Doctor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 am

He should ride LBL, the wimp.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29 am

Anyone see what PSI Boonen was riding?

Roughly 60.

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:32 pm

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Very good! :lol: He was a hero Turgodt (or however it's spelt :oops: ). Obviously been taking lessons from Tenacious V
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

OffTheBackAdam

Postby OffTheBackAdam » Mon Apr 09, 2012 14:17 pm

How it used to be!

pottssteve

Postby pottssteve » Mon Apr 09, 2012 14:36 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Is it obligatory to ride Amstel Gold after you've done the double?

Boonen should kick back and enjoy the win(s). Limberg is no place to have a party.

I don't know whether he's obliged to do it, but it is good practice for the Worlds. As for Limburg being party central, the Catholics were living it up big stylee today :)
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 17:16 pm

I saw the highlights today of PR toady when Boonen popped off and Pozzatto kind of screwed it up again. Ballan and Pozzatto dicking about gave Boonen the impetus to sneak off. If Pozzatto had stuck on Boonen's wheel then things may had been different. Boonen still probably have won but Pipo seems to love treading on the ole banana skin. :s

-jerry

josame

Postby josame » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 am

iainf72 wrote:
josame wrote:
EBH had MSR form (10th), was ok at flanders and said he was targeting P-R :roll:

When you say 10'th do you mean 25'th?

Indeed I do... :oops: still my point remains he was only 20 seconds off the winning time on a 300km ride

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:12 am

josame wrote:
iainf72 wrote:
josame wrote:
EBH had MSR form (10th), was ok at flanders and said he was targeting P-R :roll:

When you say 10'th do you mean 25'th?

Indeed I do... :oops: still my point remains he was only 20 seconds off the winning time on a 300km ride

.....in a race that usually finishes in some kind of group/bunch sprint?

If it finished on the Ventoux it'd be a little different.

avoidingmyphd

Postby avoidingmyphd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 am

Gazzetta67 wrote: Thats too harsh on this respected "Climber" - You know the one who dropped Lauren Brochard, Michael Boogerd, Oscar Sevilla and Pietro Caucchioli on his way to the ski station of Pla d adet a few years back....really looking forward to his biography of how he managed that "awesome" victory on 3 cans of Irn Bru and a piece & jam.

ftfy. You can add Pereiro to the list if you think sitting on his wheel and coming round him at the finish line counts as dropping him. It's pretty obvious how he managed it if you've ever actually watched the stage.

I like George (I don't know why), and although he was never likely to win it would have been nice to see him at least staying with the race at the weekend. Surely it was his last chance to do that.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Boonen is a Legend.

Winning all year, cleans up two smaller classics, bags Flanders then owns Roubiax.

That is how to win a race with Champion status.

2nd fastest Roubaix in history, won with a solo break longer than Cancellara's.

Really glad he has form and motivation like this. Will see him at Amstel working for his teammates.

Real shame for Chavanel.

Really pleased for Turgot - gutsy and entertaining ride; effort driven result. Glad for Ballan.

Major fail by Pozzato on letting them go, but to be expected.

Great Roubaix.
Contador is the Greatest

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Tue Apr 10, 2012 13:32 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Anyone see what PSI Boonen was riding?

Roughly 60.
Boom being cagey:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... anced-sl-1

Much wider tyres than normal, though
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

avoidingmyphd

Postby avoidingmyphd » Tue Apr 10, 2012 13:40 pm

JonGinge wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:Anyone see what PSI Boonen was riding?

Roughly 60.
Boom being cagey:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... anced-sl-1

Much wider tyres than normal, though

Yeah, his massive tyres were obvious even just on tv (for non clickers that article says they were 30mm)

Graeme_S

Postby Graeme_S » Tue Apr 10, 2012 13:47 pm

Cycling News wrote:Boom did, however, start on his Defy Advanced SL in Compiègne "to save some energy." Boom says he and the team chose a good location about 80km into the race to make the swap and he rode the TCX into the velodrome later in the day.

I'm not wild on this being an allowed tactic. I know there's no simple way to stop it. I know the UCI would come up with some complicated and ham fisted way to make sure bike changes only happened due to a mechanical fault. So I know it's best they just leave it alone, but doesn't really seem in the spirit of things to me.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 13:51 pm

Graeme_S wrote:
Cycling News wrote:Boom did, however, start on his Defy Advanced SL in Compiègne "to save some energy." Boom says he and the team chose a good location about 80km into the race to make the swap and he rode the TCX into the velodrome later in the day.

I'm not wild on this being an allowed tactic. I know there's no simple way to stop it. I know the UCI would come up with some complicated and ham fisted way to make sure bike changes only happened due to a mechanical fault. So I know it's best they just leave it alone, but doesn't really seem in the spirit of things to me.

Your reserve bike must be the same frame, fork, wheel and tyre design as the bike you start on.

Exceptions will be made when taking a teammate's bike.

Job done.

Graeme_S

Postby Graeme_S » Tue Apr 10, 2012 13:52 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Your reserve bike must be the same frame, fork, wheel and tyre design as the bike you start on.

Job done.

I guess that would do it - but you can bet the UCI would come up with some ridiculous way of enforcing it as opposed to something relatively simple like that. Or they'd ignore it for years and then suddenly enforce it when someone they don't like the look of does it and wins a race.

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Tue Apr 10, 2012 13:55 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:
Graeme_S wrote:

Your reserve bike must be the same frame, fork, wheel and tyre design as the bike you start on.

Job done.

Sorry. My reserve bike was mysteriously knacked. I had to use my teammate's reserve bike. He was riding something different to me.

Job done.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

edhornby

Postby edhornby » Tue Apr 10, 2012 15:12 pm

"Sorry. My reserve bike was mysteriously knacked. I had to use my teammate's reserve bike. He was riding something different to me."
"but Tommeke, you are 6'1 and your teammates are all 5'7 ???"
"Hey I'm a truechampion... FF says so "
"I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
--Jens Voight

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Apr 10, 2012 15:18 pm

Graeme_S wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:Your reserve bike must be the same frame, fork, wheel and tyre design as the bike you start on.

Job done.

I guess that would do it - but you can bet the UCI would come up with some ridiculous way of enforcing it as opposed to something relatively simple like that. Or they'd ignore it for years and then suddenly enforce it when someone they don't like the look of does it and wins a race.

or you start and finish with the same frame.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Tue Apr 10, 2012 15:36 pm

TailWindHome wrote:
Graeme_S wrote:

Job done.

or you start and finish with the same frame.

Two changes for P-R then. Road to CX and back to road again.

@DrHeadgear

Return to “Pro Race”