Gym only training for MTB ride

Get fit for riding.

Re: Gym only training for MTB ride

Postby njee20 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 15:18 pm

Yep, any cheap slick will do, you can get proper turbo tyres which run cooler, they're quieter. If you're buying a tyre purely to use on the turbo I'd get one of those. In all honest I'd not get too hung up on which one to get, they're the sort of thing that people will be getting rid of quite regularly!
njee20

Postby handful » Tue Jun 19, 2012 15:39 pm

+1 for turbo if you want short intensive training. I agree with yeehaa in the sense that running does help with overall fitness but don't agree that running is the best way to prepare for your 'marathon.' I try and run at least once a week as well as ride and turbo when it's really bad weather but if I lapse for a reason and only run or cycle for a few weeks I find that doing the other activity results in very stiff legs, particularly calves.

I always find that strange because when you feel like your reasonably fit you don't expect stiffness! My advice is turbo with sufferfest videos to give you the kick up the backside you will need because it is incredibly boring but you will sweat like you won't believe and be working the right muscles. Also, don't underestimate the time in the saddle, unless you have a very well fitting saddle that could be the biggest test of endurance and time on the turbo will help with that too!
Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
GT I-Drive 5 - mud
GT Avalanche 1.0 2008 - now sold
handful

Postby Dubcat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 15:45 pm

ok i am totally convinced. I will get a turbo trainer.. now to pick one! :) Have singled out the tacx speedster new or there are a few tacx satori used on ebay... I will buy a sufferfest video - any idea which one to get first? I will end up rippping them and playing them on my ipad anyway..
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito
Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/amirkhan
Dubcat

Postby handful » Tue Jun 19, 2012 19:24 pm

My personal favorites are Downward Spiral and Revolver. They are all good though in different ways, best to look at the detail but I like the ones above, probably because they are the shortest. :lol:

I do know some unscrupulous people download them from torrent sites but I couldn't possibly suggest that you did that, even if only to try before buying full price.
Kuota Kharma Evo Rival 22 - fair weather
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - foul weather
GT I-Drive 5 - mud
GT Avalanche 1.0 2008 - now sold
handful

Postby MDobs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 21:54 pm

I'll chuck in a mention for swimming. think it's better for all round fitness than running, works full body and without the impact of running on knees/ankles/shins. it's not free, unlike running, but you'll get a lot of pool time for the price of a turbo trainer.
MDobs

Postby Fatamorgana » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:39 am

"1 hour a day is more than enough time to get fit. "

Falls off bike with laughter. That's like asking you to do 2hrs taining a day and ride the Kielder, or maybe 2hrs a day and expect to be fit enough for a 24hr solo (both of which I've ridden). The last one may get you close to being ready if you you did it for a good few months perhaps, but I think it would be highly disingenous to suggest that a mere 1hrs ride (plus the warm and cool down) will get you physically ready for what may be a 6hr+ , 75 mile (120km), XC bike ride.

Pop the mtn bike on the TTrainer with a specific-for TT tyre or any old tyre will do. It'll shred the tred pattern but if it's an old tyre, big deal. A cheap 26er road tyre costs maybe £8. Then sort out a brutal routine with some long spells in the saddle and some fartlek training.

There's a 72yr old in the next village to me has but Thursday off, trains 50% of his time on a TT and races 10 or 15 or 30 mile TT (time trail) events. He's clocked a 25:34 minute 10 mile TT this year thus far this season as his best time, so it really can be done, but it's hard graft. He limits himself to the shorter rides of 3hrs or less when training on the road. Can't imagine what he was like in his youth!

God luck.
Fatamorgana

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 am

So are you saying that 1 hour on a TT is enough, or not.
I don't think he wants to be averaging nearly 40 mile an hour for the full duration, so maybe following the old guy's example isn't the best idea.
YeehaaMcgee

Postby Dubcat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 14:03 pm

I just want to finish it in one piece. The guys I am riding with are much fitter than me. I am guessing they will ride ahead.. stop at a pub for a pint.. let me catch up.. and as i appear will get on their bikes lol. I am a big boy who is losing weight but is still 14.5 stones - i am NOT the xc whippet you might imagine :)

First of all - NJEE - wow - what a generous offer to lend me your turbo. That was seriously kind of you.. I think this might be a bit of kit that I will use more and more as I want to try my hand at triathlon next year so I will try to find a good one on ebay. If it all falls through though I may come begging to borrow yours :)

I will buy one of those sufferfest movies and see how i get on. I have to believe the running is going to help. I put in 5 miles 2 days ago, and another 5 miles today. I have an 8 mile run on sunday too. It HAS to help with endurance. I will do 2-3 bike sessions a week too to get more saddle time and condition my legs. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for the advice - really helped me a lot.
2012 Bianchi Infinito
Dubcat

Postby njee20 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 14:11 pm

"1 hour a day is more than enough time to get fit. "

Falls off bike with laughter. That's like asking you to do 2hrs taining a day and ride the Kielder, or maybe 2hrs a day and expect to be fit enough for a 24hr solo (both of which I've ridden).

Your point caller? Just because you've ridden a few events doesn't really qualify you to know what you're talking about! I know some very quick guys who rarely train more than an hour at a time. It's obviously not that straightforward, but it's a very outdated method of training that you need to be doing 30 hour weeks to be competitive.

You didn't answer my question either about 24-soloists, do you think they train by riding 24 hours at a time? Chris Eatough has said he never rides more than 6 hours, he does alright, I imagine he's quicker than you.
njee20

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Jun 21, 2012 14:41 pm

Dubcat wrote:I am a big boy who is losing weight but is still 14.5 stones - i am NOT the xc whippet you might imagine :)

I wouldn;t worry too much about that. I'm bigger than you, but have plenty of stamina. I'm not the fastest, but I'll keep going until I get bored. like a duracell bunny I suppose :lol:
YeehaaMcgee

Postby Dubcat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 15:03 pm

Hahaha you sound like my mate who i am riding with. Hill's don't seem to impact his pace.. just keeps going. I am hoping to become like that but get skinny at the same time. Pretty sure the skinny bit will come from eating right though.
2012 Bianchi Infinito
Dubcat

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Jun 21, 2012 17:05 pm

Aye, comes from living near some big moontins, and having the mindset that says "I bet I could ride that".
YeehaaMcgee

Postby CarpOnWheels » Sat Jun 23, 2012 18:38 pm

I live about 2 mins away (Cranleigh) from the flat bit of Downslink, and I reckon you're onto a winner with the turbo trainer when it comes to dealing with that bit of the ride. Apart from St. Martha's Hill to Bramley (which is definitely not flat!) it's old railway line, so whilst there's nothing that can be called climbing, there's nothing that can be called descending either... so it's just 30 miles of pedal, pedal, pedal (especially so when it's wet) with the only respite coming in the form of road crossings and the need to avoiding running people over (if the weather's good, it can get quite busy).

In terms of gym-type-stuff, anything that helps with core stability will help you conserve energy, especially if you're prone to a top half that moves about when there's a lot of pedalling going on.
CarpOnWheels

Postby Dubcat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Did my first session on the turbo and I watched sufferfest revolver while I did it. Feel like I got a solid workout in 45 mins! I can definitely see how I would just be plodding away and not getting the best out of it if I was just watching a movie or something but with Sufferfest it was a proper training session. Really glad I got the session in - I wouldn't have touched my bike for a whole week without todays go on the turbo. Very pleased indeed! Have also ordered a wheel and cassette to use just for the turbo.. Really hoping it all fits together nicely. My heart rate chart looks like a hedgehog lol.

Was in a hurry today to take my kids swimming hence the short session. Plan to combine Sufferfest with some longer plodding sessions to build endurance over the coming weeks. Will probably watch movies during the plods. Does that make sense or should I stick with Sufferfest? My plan was to get my heart rate up to the same as the average on my longer outdoor rides and just keep it there in the plodding sessions.
2012 Bianchi Infinito
Dubcat

Postby zznmfc » Mon Dec 24, 2012 21:12 pm

Dubcat - how did you get on :) ? Doing it myself in 2013 and need to get training as I'm deffo not a wippet ;)!
zznmfc

Previous

Return to Health, Fitness & Training