Small bike build.

The home of female specific MTB'ing.
nicklouse
Lives Here

Re: Small bike build.

Postby nicklouse » Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:52 pm

Dandelionclock30 wrote:Im not struck on Chevin Cycles in Otley and I wont go there. I've been in a couple of times and have been patronized.

I have been to All Terrain Cycles before but it was a while back now.

which part of West Yorks are you in? as if in my old patch it may be better to look out side of Gods own county.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

stalkedtoast

Postby stalkedtoast » Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:53 pm

There is life outside of Gods own county?

Dandelionclock30

Postby Dandelionclock30 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:54 pm

Leeds.

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Wed Jun 27, 2012 16:51 pm

stalkedtoast wrote:There is life outside of Gods own county?

Yes, but the calls are more expensive and the Beer sucks.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Wed Jun 27, 2012 16:52 pm

Dandelionclock30 wrote:Leeds.

Been to Stif? Up Headingly road past the Uni?

http://www.stif.co.uk/

Dandelionclock30

Postby Dandelionclock30 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 16:56 pm

I got a previous bike from them an Orange EVO 2 about 10 years ago.
They have moved now to somewhere out in the sticks past Harrogate.

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Wed Jun 27, 2012 17:02 pm

Thought they were running both shops together.

Bet they made a killing on the land if they owned it.

stalkedtoast

Postby stalkedtoast » Wed Jun 27, 2012 17:29 pm

nicklouse wrote:
stalkedtoast wrote:There is life outside of Gods own county?

Yes, but the calls are more expensive and the Beer sucks.

That is two things a Yorkshire man doesn't want to hear, we are tight fisted with our brass and like a good ale

Dandelionclock30

Postby Dandelionclock30 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 17:35 pm

No the one in Headingly has definatley shut and has been for a couple of years now. I think its been taken over by the hairdresser next door!
The previous shop was o.k but on the dear side..they never seem to have much reduced. Saying that the staff were always nice and helpfull.

mountaingoatimnot

Postby mountaingoatimnot » Thu Jun 28, 2012 14:44 pm

Dandelionclock30 wrote:Thanks for those replies-I dont really wnt a MYKA as although I think the frame is good, I think the components including the fork are not very good(on the hardtails) and I dont want a suntour fork!
I will have a look at the Giants, but I want to try one before I purchase it.
Yeah I could do with being measured up properly and it all written down for me exactly but I dont know anyone that does this.My experience of bike shops is that if you can stand over it and grab the handlebars then it fits! Thats not good enough for me.
I think its an important issue to get a good fit because otherwize its a pain literally.
Does anyone know anywhere that they will measure you for reach etc ? I know theres places in London but I need West Yorks really.

Appreciate the built up Myka range isn't great spec, but you suggested in the opening thread you wanted a small enough frame to build from. If you can buy a nice lightly used Myka frame or even a complete bike (a 2011 Disc one sold local to me on eBay last week for £220) you have plenty of cash left for some very good kit to hang off it

Just a thought

Alternatively perhaps have a look around on eBay for small / extra small frames - these often dont sell for much money due to the size.

I appreciate you really want to sit on a few buitl up bikes to establish which frames suit and which don't - this isn;t easy as most outlets only stock a few ladies bikes, and very few small framed mens models.

Dandelionclock30

Postby Dandelionclock30 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 16:23 pm

I meant a new frame, yes I could get a secondhand one but I need to know if it definatley fits first really.
I could go to the specialized store in Harrogate try and find out if its the 13 or the 15(Its 15 according to their charts) that would be best and then keep an eye out on Ebay. Get the frame and get a respray and take it from there.
Good idea.
I dont know why shops dont stock smalls and extra small- I mean 5 3 is a fairly average size for a woman and women do ride bikes so what is the problem?

Dandelionclock30

Postby Dandelionclock30 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 13:31 pm

In the end I got a Norco charger 6 Forma for women £599 from Evans. Its really comfortable and Im really pleased with it.
Image.

Return to “Women”