Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
User avatar
Herbsman
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 18:31 pm

Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby Herbsman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 22:01 pm

Which is best (or rather, if one is not 'better' than the other, which do you prefer) for pre-race warm-up? Rollers or turbo? Andy why?

User avatar
Herbsman
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 18:31 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby Herbsman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 22:02 pm

Oops, I meant 'And why?'... not 'Andy why?'. I don't know who Andy is.

DavidJB
Posts: 1721
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 07:38 am

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby DavidJB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 07:23 am

Most use rollers...I use a turbo because its what I have.

okgo
Posts: 3707
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 14:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby okgo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:29 am

I ride up and down the road a few times. Or don't bother at all and use the first lap to get into it. Although this can be risky if you're one of the weaker riders in the race, so I won't be doing that in an e12, but for 2/3 races I've been fine by not bothering.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

User avatar
ShockedSoShocked
Posts: 3919
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 22:43 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby ShockedSoShocked » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Do a Wayne Randle. Ride from Barnsley to wherever you're racing, even if it's about a 4 hour ride.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Glasgowbhoy
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 16:23 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby Glasgowbhoy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 13:16 pm

Turbo now before every race, 10-15 mins working up to a sweat then a mini warm down. Makes a big difference once the flag drops and feel much better once the surges and attacks go that I can get myself across and get involved in the early breaks.

User avatar
amaferanga
Posts: 6595
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 16:44 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby amaferanga » Mon Jul 16, 2012 13:57 pm

Only time you should really need a turbo or rollers is for a circuit race where you can't get onto the circuit before the race. What's wrong with doing a lap of the race circuit (will help you get to know it and its potholes as well) or just riding about on roads near the race HQ?
More problems but still living....

User avatar
Herbsman
Posts: 1940
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 18:31 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby Herbsman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 17:14 pm

You're right, but all it is is that sometimes I panic that I might miss the pre race briefing, and also some of the local midweek road races are well hard from the start

oldwelshman
Posts: 4619
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 14:19 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby oldwelshman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:45 am

Rollers better, easier on the tyres. I use rollers to warm up for track and road, I dont need to ride the circuit to warm up as I generally race on same circuits, also not that good a warm up riding up and down roads near a race, much easier and controlled on rollers.

DavidJB
Posts: 1721
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 07:38 am

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby DavidJB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:19 pm

amaferanga wrote:Only time you should really need a turbo or rollers is for a circuit race where you can't get onto the circuit before the race. What's wrong with doing a lap of the race circuit (will help you get to know it and its potholes as well) or just riding about on roads near the race HQ?



You've obviously never raced at Portsmouth.

User avatar
amaferanga
Posts: 6595
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 16:44 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby amaferanga » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:39 pm

DavidJB wrote:
amaferanga wrote:Only time you should really need a turbo or rollers is for a circuit race where you can't get onto the circuit before the race. What's wrong with doing a lap of the race circuit (will help you get to know it and its potholes as well) or just riding about on roads near the race HQ?



You've obviously never raced at Portsmouth.


Fortunately not.
More problems but still living....

DavidJB
Posts: 1721
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 07:38 am

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby DavidJB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 07:11 am

amaferanga wrote:
DavidJB wrote:
amaferanga wrote:Only time you should really need a turbo or rollers is for a circuit race where you can't get onto the circuit before the race. What's wrong with doing a lap of the race circuit (will help you get to know it and its potholes as well) or just riding about on roads near the race HQ?



You've obviously never raced at Portsmouth.


Fortunately not.


The roads are plain scary around where the circuit is...but then again I'm not used to city riding really.

User avatar
springtide9
Posts: 1636
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 23:30 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby springtide9 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 09:21 am

DavidJB wrote:
amaferanga wrote:
DavidJB wrote:
amaferanga wrote:Only time you should really need a turbo or rollers is for a circuit race where you can't get onto the circuit before the race. What's wrong with doing a lap of the race circuit (will help you get to know it and its potholes as well) or just riding about on roads near the race HQ?

You've obviously never raced at Portsmouth.

Fortunately not.


The roads are plain scary around where the circuit is...but then again I'm not used to city riding really.


I lived as a student in Pompy for 3 years, cycling every day. I can't say the roads were any more scary than any other city TBH.
Simon

DavidJB
Posts: 1721
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 07:38 am

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby DavidJB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:07 am

springtide9 wrote:
DavidJB wrote:
amaferanga wrote:
DavidJB wrote:
amaferanga wrote:Only time you should really need a turbo or rollers is for a circuit race where you can't get onto the circuit before the race. What's wrong with doing a lap of the race circuit (will help you get to know it and its potholes as well) or just riding about on roads near the race HQ?

You've obviously never raced at Portsmouth.

Fortunately not.


The roads are plain scary around where the circuit is...but then again I'm not used to city riding really.


I lived as a student in Pompy for 3 years, cycling every day. I can't say the roads were any more scary than any other city TBH.


Glad I don't live in a city ;)

Glasgowbhoy
Posts: 1205
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 16:23 pm

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby Glasgowbhoy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:32 am

Scratch my comment above. I sat in the car on Wed night right up to the start of a race as it was pishin down.
Used the 3 mile roll out to along with a few early jumps off the front to warm up. Finished 3rd, so,what do I know......

DavidJB
Posts: 1721
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 07:38 am

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby DavidJB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 14:31 pm

Glasgowbhoy wrote:Scratch my comment above. I sat in the car on Wed night right up to the start of a race as it was pishin down.
Used the 3 mile roll out to along with a few early jumps off the front to warm up. Finished 3rd, so,what do I know......


I didn't warm up on Wednesday due to traffic and had an awful race ;)

ShavenLegs
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 11:39 am

Re: Warming up for race: rollers or turbo?

Postby ShavenLegs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 14:13 pm

I find the turbo gives you a more consistent warm up, particularly for a TT. You take out all the other variables of balance, road conditions, weather and can get your body up to full operating speed before you get to the star line.


Return to “Amateur Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests